Saturday, November 25, 2023

13.25 A Year of Relationships

I just finished a yearly project. Each day of the month I posted on a pre-determined theme. During the month of November, I'll post a collage of all my photos on the daily theme from the past year. The theme for the twenty-fifth day of the month was "Relationship."

*********************

On Shopping - Too many words about grocery shopping. 
December Gratitude - Christmas celebration of the positives in life. 
A Mirror! -  A new piece of furniture in our bedroom. 
Tiny Marriage Traditions - We make cards for each other on Valentine's Day.
Light Bulb, Not a Balloon - A silly and sweet note.
This Time It Was a Black Sedan - Strange men love Hannah. 
Fifteen Years - Annual anniversary photo. 
Playlist Throwback - In which my husband tries to make me a Radiohead fan. 
A Dog - My girl Hannah. 
Dogs on Parade - A trip to the dog park. 
Your Person - Who do you call when you're in jail?
Decisions on Notification - Remember when I got stitches in my finger?

*********************
Hannah count: 3
Humphrey count: 1
Dog park count: 2
Park by our house count: 1
Food count: A shopping cart full.

*********************
My husband and some dogs. That's basically my life.
*********************
My youngest niece was a super shy toddler and young child. When my MIL was dying, my husband and I spent a lot of time with her and she stopped being scared of us because we played oh so many games of Memory and Old Maid. Over Thanksgiving, she sat with us for the better part of an hour working on a jigsaw puzzle, talking about her dog, and telling us all about the birthday party she'd been to the day before. 

I'm so grateful to have this relationship with a child who I once thought would never so much as smile at me.

November sunset over the Rock River. 


My SIL gave me a present to congratulate me for getting a job. As she handed it over to me, she whispered, because you're my favorite.

*********************
Who's your favorite person? 

17 comments:

  1. Aw, that's so sweet! If I say my son is my favorite person is that bad? Like I feel like I'm dissing the other members of my family. Oh well- they won't be reading this : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I won't tell anyone if you don't! ;)

      Delete
  2. How is your finger doing now? Is it all healed up? I don't know if I actually commented on that post, but I did a very similar thing when clipping my jasmine; it gets very overgrown and I usually go to town on it with secateurs, but I hold it with the other hand and I clipped right through my finger once.

    I had a favorite cousin when I was a kid but as an adult I realize that he is super flaky! So now I am not so sure...he sure was fun as a kid though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kyria, thanks for asking! It has healed up amazingly well. You can hardly tell anything has happened to it. I do not love that you also had a similar injury, but it does make me feel better than I'm not alone in gardening mishaps!

      Delete
  3. How special you are! I'd savour that moment forever. I have a niece who is my favourite. She's witty, smart, kind, and generous--the total package.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...I won't tell anyone in your family that your niece is your favorite, but I'm sure she knows!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have cultivated that relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel so lucky that my niece will hang out with me still. We'll see how that goes in a few years when she's a teen.

      Delete
  5. So many things to say!
    That sunset!
    That picture of you and Dr. BB!
    That story of your niece.
    That story of your SIL.
    OF COURSE YOU'RE HER FAVOURITE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, Elisabeth! I notice that you dodged the question about who YOUR favorite is, though!

      Delete
  6. Aww, I love that you have such a sweet relationship with your niece (I find it extra special when kids gravitate towards me because I don't have children).... and I love that you have such a sweet SIL. You are quite lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% lucked out with my inlaws. I can't imagine having married into a better family.

      Delete
  7. I have favorite *people*--is that a dodge? :) Loving all the ussies of you and Dr. BB in the roundups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're allowed favorite people. I assume I'm not really my SIL's favorite person in the world!

      Delete
  8. I love this sweet story. How lovely. Hmm. I'm gonna have to say my husband's sister. I mean if we are talking family. He has two sisters but one of them in particular is my fav. The other started off really rubbing me the wrong way, but I really do admire her now too. She used to be so uppity. Not sure I answered the question correctly - not that there is a wrong answer, but if I had to choose a favorite outside of family, well that would be tough. Of course my kids are all my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, goodness. What a lovely, lovely story about your niece. And, how wonderful to still be able to engage with her - it gives her a relationship with loving adults who aren't her parents, which can be so amazingly valuable for so many kids.

    I honestly don't know if I could pick a favorite. No spouse, no kids... two living parents and a brother. GAH. If I had to pick? My second parents, but that's two people. Am I allowed to have that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonding over a puzzle. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete