Saturday, November 06, 2021

20 Questions

I haven't done an list of questions in a very long time, so I pulled some off of this website and we'll see how this works out.

1. Where do you live?
I live in a small town in southeastern Wisconsin.  I grew up in a rural area in Michigan and when my husband got a job in rural Wisconsin, I insisted we live somewhere with sidewalks.  So here we are, in a town with just over 12,000 people in it. 

2. Who do you live with?
I live with my husband of thirteen years, Dr. BB and our cat Zelda and our dog Hannah.  I love them all so much it hurts my soul.  I don't often write about what an amazing husband I have, but do know that he tolerates a lot from me and his unending patience and humor are what keep me getting up every morning.  

3. What do you do for a living?
I work at a small state university in a non-teaching role.  

4. What shows are you into?
The only television shows I am watching weekly right now are Taskmaster and The Great British Bake-Off.  Taskmaster is available on YouTube - do yourself a favor and click on the link above and watch the first episode. You will be hooked. GBBO is, of course, on Netflix. I do not enjoy the Noel/Matt dynamic as much as I enjoyed Noel/Sandi or Mel/Sue, but I guess the world does move on from its moments of perfection.

5. What's your claim to fame?
I was valedictorian of my high school graduating class and was a National Merit Finalist. I made the front page of the Turnertown Gazette (also, I am paraphrasing a Miranda Lambert song). I peaked in high school, my friends. 

6. How often do you play sports?
Never. I don't like competition. I regularly exercise, but I never participate in activities in which scores are kept.  At the family reunion over Labor Day, I was throwing the bocce ball around with my younger nephews and one of my older nephews came up to tell me that he'd never even seen me hold a ball!

7. Are you usually early or usually late?
I am always early. Being late stresses me out too much.

8. What quirks do you have?
I'm a neurotic mess. I overthink everything, question myself to the extreme, and am basically obsessed with my dog and cat.

9. How often do you people watch?
Almost never. Honestly, since the start of the pandemic, I am never around large groups of people. I live in a small town and rarely see more than a handful of people at a time. I work in a giant building where I am regularly the only person present on the rare occasions that I go in.  It's just not a thing I do.  

10. What's your favorite drink?
Right now I'm obsessed with Fresca. I also really like a good lemon-lime Gatorade Zero.

11. What songs have you completely memorized?
Basically the entire oeuvres of Garth Brooks and Bon Jovi. Hannah the Dog hates getting baths and when I am bathing her, you'll frequently hear me singing "Livin' on a Prayer" or "I'll Be There for You" to calm her. 

I also have a running playlist and it's getting a bit stale because I know these songs inside and out, but here are some of the best hits from that list:
"Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland
"Mean" by Taylor Swift
"Undo It" by Carrie Underwood
"Not Ready to Make Nice" by The Chicks
"Downtown" by Petula Clark
"American Kids" by Kenny Chesney
"Small Town Saturday Night" by Hal Ketchum
"What Kinda Gone" by Chris Cagle
"Big Deal" by LeAnn Rimes
"If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets)" by Joe Diffie
"Norma Jean Riley" by Diamond Rio


12. What would you rate 10/10?
The Murderbot series from Martha Wells and the Wayfarers series from Becky Chambers. I am trying to read my way through the subreddit r/Fantasy's top books by women authors and Chambers and Wells are such great finds. 

13. What skill would you like to master?
I wish I were multilingual. 

14. What website do you visit the most?
Reddit. It's shameful how much time I spend on Reddit.

15. What's your favorite genre of book?
I love books with dragons. I also love a good romance novel.  

16. When was the last time you climbed a tree just for fun?
At the family reunion on Labor Day, I climbed a tree with some of the kids. It's a short tree, fortunately.

17. What fictional place would you most like to go to?
Obviously, it would be Stars Hollow, the fictional locale of Gilmore Girls

18. Who has impressed you most with what they've accomplished? 
I went to grad school with a woman who got her PhD, went on to found a successful non-profit, and then took a job with the United Nations. She did all this while maintaining her marriage and giving birth to two children.  She seems to have figured out life and I can't figure out how to change the margins on my resume. 

19. How do you relax after a hard day?
I am a fan of the couch, a book and the cat on my lap. If that's not a recipe for relaxation, I don't know what is.

20. What is a small thing that makes you life better?
Because I work from home, I'm able to take Hannah the Dog out for a 1-2 mile walk every afternoon. I wish I could tell you just how much this clears my mind and allows me to  go back to work with a better attitude. These daily walks mean so much to me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this was fun to read, especially since I am a new reader and I feel like I just got to know you quite a bit better. Thanks for this.

    I think you're the second person I know who's on Reddit (not counting myself). I find this site strange to navigate, but am subscribed to a few topics (because I landed there via a Google search one day) LOL

    Please let me know when you visit Stars Hollow, I'd like to come along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun post! Being multilingual would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun to read. I learned a lot about you that I didn't know! I, too, am obsessed with my pets to the point it makes my heart hurt. I get it! And sitting on the couch with a good book is my ideal way to relax after a hard day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun learning more about you. Your idea of a good evening - minus the cat, thanks, achoo - is exactly in line with mine. And, it's good to know a bit more about your family, as I've seen you mention Dr. BB and wasn't sure who that was! Always nice to meet a fellow Midwesterner as well. :)

    ReplyDelete