Tuesday, November 08, 2022

2022 NaBloPoMo Q&A, Part II

If you're new here, I did a 20 Questions post last year that discusses some basics of who I am, so that's a good place to start if you don't know much about me. Last month, I asked you for questions and now I'm here to answer them. I got a lot of questions, so I broke this up into two parts. Part I is here. 

Stephany asked:

13) What are some of your best marriage tips?

I feel unqualified to answer this question because while I am an expert on my own marriage, I am hardly an expert on marriage overall.  Here are a handful of things I have to say, but I stress that this works for us, but I make no guarantees about other people's relationships.

a) It's all luck. I met someone who was single when I was single who shared my values, found my quirks tolerable, and there was physical attraction.  The timing worked and we both wanted a long-term relationship at that moment.

b) Learn to use the following phrases with reckless abandon: You're right, that's a good idea, thank you, I notice you did...and I appreciate it, please, and I'm sorry.  

c) People change over time. What was a quirk when you were dating will become a neuroticism years later.  Get used to it and get over it

d) Marriage isn't actually all that difficult (*if you have lucky timing and find the right person who shares your values and goals*), but when life gets hard, so does marriage. When life is moving along and all is going well, you generally spend time focusing on your relationship. When life gets hard, it's easy to focus on what's making it hard (jobs, finances, kids, illnesses, whatever) and forget to prioritize your relationship. When life gets hard, lean in to your relationship, don't lean into the hard stuff.

e) Laugh with your partner every day. Dance with them every day. Buy them gifts when you see things you think they'll like, even if it's not a holiday. Update a shared calendar and look at it regularly. Do the dishes. Don't leave the cap off the toothpaste. Be considerate.  Remember you love them, even when they piss you off. And when they piss you off, fight fair. Don't keep score in love.

14) What are some of the books you recommend over and over?

What a great question! I might steal this one to start asking people. It's so revealing.

For me, it really depends on the reader. I recommend A Tree Grows in Brooklyn  and quite a few Sarah Dessen books, most especially Just Listen for teenage girls; Ender's Game and Ready Player One for teenage boys;  Love Lettering and Perfect for romance novels; the Realm of the Elderlings saga for fantasy; Murderbot and Wayfarers for sci-fi; and the Neapolitan quartet for contemporary fiction. There are other books I'd recommend here and there based on what I've read recently, but these are books I've recommended over and over and over again.


15) Do you like to travel? What are some places you'd like to travel to?

I don't like to travel with my husband (see question #5 from Part I). So that basically means I don't actually like to travel.  Ha. That's not true. I do like to see new places and do new things, but I don't like the actual plane/car/train part of the journey and, more importantly, I despise vacation planning. I am terrible at managing calendars AND visualizing things like how far away spot #1 is from spot #2.  So basically that means I would be a travel agent's dream if travel agents were still a thing. 

I'd like to visit the Maldives, Ireland, and the Alps someday, but not in a real "I'm going to sit down and plan a vacation" way. 

Diane asked:

16) What is your ideal environment to write/blog in?

Ideally, I have some quiet time at my desk at home, a cup of hot tea at my side, no street noise, and no pet interference. This rarely happens, as you might imagine. Ha!

17) What is your ideal environment to read in?

I'll basically read anywhere - on the couch with the television blaring, in the car waiting for an appointment, in line at the grocery store - but my ideal is to be tucked up in bed with my Kindle. I have a great setup so that I can recline and lean my Kindle on the pillow and be 100% cozy. I love being in bed, I love reading, and I love being cozy, so this is the best version of reading I can imagine. 

18) How do you organize and keep track of all the details about a book that end up in your blog posts?

Well, this is a two-part answer. It depends on if I'm reading a paper book or an ebook. 

If I'm reading a paper book, I keep a piece of paper in the book and jot down page numbers and a word or two to remind me of what I found noteworthy. Sometimes it's literally the word/person/historical event I had to look up and sometimes it's a direct quotation. I'll also use this piece of paper to take notes if there's a super complicated plot, family structure, geography, or timeline. Most of the time this paper is the checkout slip from the library, although I also have a series of small notepads that charities send me in the mail that I sometimes use if it's not a library book or I didn't get a checkout slip.

If I'm reading a Kindle, I just highlight what I want to take note of. You can look those notes up on your Kindle, or you can access those notes and highlights at a website from Amazon even if you return the ebook library book. It's a really cool feature. You can also transport those notes directly to Goodreads, if that's your jam. 

Otherwise, I try to write up my reviews within three days of finishing a book. I don't like to do it right away because I want to think about a book a bit. It's telling to me if I'm trying to write a book review and it's two days later and I can't remember the name of the lead character - that's probably not a memorable book! But I also don't want to wait too long. I'll sometimes look books up after I've finished them to see if there's controversy around the book I was unaware of or if my thoughts align with other people's, but I try not to read too much about a book before I write it up because I don't want to go in with a biased opinion.  

19) My ten year old wants to read a romance novel with "just kissing" - what do you recommend?

I am, sadly, not an expert on this age group. I asked my librarian friend and she said she recommends these "clean" romances for the tween set - Operation Pucker Up by Rachele Alpine, Playing the Field by Janette Rallison, and Never Evers by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison. 

Lisa asked:

20) If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

I think I'd stay here. I like where it is in relation to our families and I really like our town. I'd also love a house on Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis. Maybe someday when I win the lottery I never play.

21) What is the best vacation you've ever taken?

When I was in high school, my family did an epic road trip. We drove from Michigan to Arizona (Petrified National Forest = awesome, Grand Canyon = oddly boring), up through California and to Yellowstone (awesome) and across the Dakotas (Badlands = desolate, but interesting). It was absolutely amazing, but I could never do it again because that much car time would probably kill me.

22) What does your husband teach?

My husband teaches political theory in a political science department at a small state university. He's practically a genius. I just hang on, hoping my brain won't leak out my ears when I have to think hard to keep up. As you can imagine, he finds it *charming* that I mostly want to talk about books with dragons in them. (See My Marriage Rule c.)

San asked:

23) When do you usually blog? Do you write drafts or sit down and knock it out in one sitting?

I usually blog after dinner in the brief window after everything has been cleaned up and I'm not yet walking the dog.  My husband is generally watching television at this point and I don't watch with him very much. I just sit down and write entire posts without much editing, which is obvious based on the number of  typos you find here. 

24) What's your favorite movie of all time?

I'm not a huge movie watcher, but the movies I always talk about are Babe, Dirty Dancing, and Shawshank Redemption

25) Who's your girl crush and why?

Nicole Kidman is gorgeous and that is why she remains the sole woman on my top five list. Forget Keith, Nicole, I'm here for you.

Thanks for all the questions, my friends. If you have any remaining queries, please let me know!

20 comments:

  1. Dirty Dancing! Love it. I also love A Tree Grows In Brooklyn although it's been many years since I read it. Perhaps a reread is in order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A reread of ATGIB always teaches me something new.

      Delete
  2. Those are some GREAT marriage tips. I would say if someone can swing the luck part and then follow all your tips, the marriage will survive.
    I liked reading the book recommendations, and it reminded me that I want to order a bunch of sci fi/fantasy books for my son for Christmas (all ones you just mentioned.) I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but like Nicole it's been a long time. Maybe we should all reread it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ATGIB book club! Maybe we should do it!

      Delete
    2. I'm in!!! It's one of the few print books left on my shelves. Love love love this book.

      Delete
  3. Those are some great book suggestions. With all the book reviews I read recently on blogs I feel very inspired to pick up a book more often again. Maybe after NaBloPoMo is over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is the best! I do hope you get inspired to read something!

      Delete
  4. I love your marriage tip about when times are hard. It's difficult sometimes when you are in a lot of pain or stress, but of course that is when you need each other the most.

    Now I want to re-read A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read ATGIB, you really should. It's so beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I also LOVED ATGIB. I am going to put that on hold at my library ASAP for a re-read. Thanks for the reminder. It really is such a good book. Same with a re-watch of Dirty Dancing...it has been years!

    I love your marriage advice, especially: Learn to use the following phrases with reckless abandon: You're right, that's a good idea, thank you, I notice you did...and I appreciate it, please, and I'm sorry.
    So, so much is impacted by the words we say/body language we use. This is something I'm coming to appreciate more and more the longer I'm married. Marriage is awesome; I love being married! But it's also a LOT of hard work (especially in the busy years with little kids)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I used to say "that's not a bad idea" until I pointed at that we were assuming all ideas were bad ideas with that phrase and we've made a conscious effort to switch it to the more positive "that's a good idea." It IS crazy how the words we choose impact things.

      I love being married, but hesitate to say it too often in case it comes off as braggy. I really do think it's mostly luck that you find someone who matches with you at the right time in life and while I do work at my marriage, it's also something that sort of happened outside of my control. Plus, we don't have kids, so there's one less stressor in our lives than a lot of other people!

      Delete
  6. My notes of the day are:
    - I'm totally unqualified to give marriage advice as well. All I know is that I met a great guy, put a ring on it, and every part of my life is better for it.
    - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn absolutely and all the way. Ender's Game is popular in my house as well though I haven't read it.
    - I don't like the process of traveling. Air travel is #1 on my hate list. Everything about being in an airport sucks and though I hate to admit it, at some point in my 40s I became afraid of flying. It's worth it if I'm with my family, but if I'm alone no way. My current strategy is to travel within a few hours of home. While I do love traveling with the fam, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my solo trips this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know everyone loved ATGIB as much as I did! I'm starting to feel like maybe it's a book recommendation that no one needs because everyone's already read it!

      Delete
  7. For feeling unqualified to give marriage advice, all your advice is pretty spot-on, I'd argue. I do agree with your first statement that there is a lot of luck involved in relationships (in the beginning re: timing, aligned values, and such), but that marriage only works if both people are committed and willing to work on the relationship.

    Most people claim that they are, but divorce rates unfortunately suggest otherwise. Of course, there are legitimate reasons to separate sometimes, but it's also a conscious choice to stay in a marriage and make it work... and I think your advice is excellent, esp. "learn to use the following phrases with reckless abandon: You're right, that's a good idea, thank you, I notice you did...and I appreciate it, please, and I'm sorry." So much impact. Words are everything.

    I also belong to the "loved ATGIB club".

    I am also here for Nicole over Keith. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think having a good marriage is mostly luck. Our values align and have continued to align, but if someone grows in a different way and values no longer align, I could see how continuing a marriage might be difficult. But marriage is also work and kindness and fairness and paying attention. You do have to be committed to a relationship. And this waffling back and forth is why I don't think I'm qualified to say much about it!

      Delete
  8. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my all-time favorite books! Love it so so much - my husband even read it since I raved about it so much (not his typical genre) and he liked it, too!

    Lake of the Isles is a wonderful area of the city! When I was in a running club, we met at the Kenwood Rec Center which is on the north tip of the lake so I spent so much time running in that area!

    It's good to love where you live! That's how i feel about Minneapolis, although I do loathe the winters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This conversation has convinced me that ATGIB is a universal book. It's just perfect, as far as I'm concerned.

      Lake of the Isles is really important to us as a couple. My husband lived right off it when we were first dating and a lot of our first dates ended with us just walking endless loops around it. We must have walked hundreds of miles togethers around that lake. Such great memories.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for answering my questions! I love asking married people about marriage advice because it's kinda universal but also kinda not. Everyone's experience is unique! I do love that you have found marriage to be (mostly) easy because you really like who you're married to!

    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my all-time favorites. I need to reread it soon!

    One of my book club friends just started a travel agent business on the side, so they do still exist! I'll hook you up with the friend rate if you ever decide to plan a trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can get behind the marriage tips. Not that I follow them all at all times but I agree. Also thanks for the book recommendations. I have added a few to my list or bumped them up. Also fun to hear how other bloggers find time for this hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your marriage tips are excellent. That said, sometimes even when you work hard, it doesn't work out. :( ATGIB - I'm in. Let's do a group re-read. I had NO idea it was so popular! And... I clicked through on your link to your post on The Story of the Lost Child (part of the Neapolitan series?) and I was just floored by your experience on your birthday. And just wanted to say that I hear you, I had the same thing happen to me except with different people. I'm so sorry you went through that, too. :(

    ReplyDelete