Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb

The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy
Fool's Assassin
Fool's Quest

Assassin's Fate is the last book in the Realm of the Elderlings saga. The last book!  I thought it was sort of terrible, but now it's done.

The Good: I'm happy for the conclusion to the liveship conundrum that I've talked to my husband, a man who has never read any of these books, about so many times because it has always been an ethical plight for me.  I actually did like the resolution of the Fitz and the Fool relationship.

The Bad: Bee. Oh, my God I hate her. Every chapter told from her perspective was interminable.  I just feel like Hobb wanted us to love her because Fitz did, but I never loved Molly and I never loved Bee. Don't get me started on Motley the Crow, either. Hobb did Motley wrong, my friends.

The Ugly: So many unanswered questions. What happened to the luriks who we didn't see die?  What happens to the liveships? What happened to Rosemary?  Why is this book a gazillion pages and I still want more? 

The saga as a whole is a must-read for fantasy lovers.  In general, though, I didn't really like the last trilogy.  If you read the first three trilogies, you'd get the gist of the whole thing and you'd really see the strengths of Hobb's writing. If you like dragons, Rain Wilds is a fun romp, although it's probably the most divisive of the series.  The Fitz and the Fool trilogy is absolutely non-essential in my world. I sort of wish I hadn't even bothered.  

Notable lines:

The woman came to light the lamps. They smelled of pine, of a forest. I longed for the forest. I longed to be anywhere that people were not. (page 530)

Months of being on my own. It wasn't even noon and I was relegated to being a child again. (page 666)

Both of these quotes are from Bee, which is a bit unusual since she's so terrible, but I do have to say that her misanthropic control freak tendencies do reflect a bit of my own personality at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment