Monday, January 04, 2021

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

 

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert is the first in the Brown sisters series (I accidentally read Take a Hint, Dani Brown, the second book, first).  In this book, Chloe Brown, a chronically ill computer lady moves into a new apartment and the new apartment manager, Redford Morgan, is smoking hot and paints canvases without his shirt on in front of the window that Chloe can just so happen to see.  Red helps Chloe save a cat who got up a tree and couldn't get back down and we're off to the races.

Interesting characters: I think Red and Chloe are interesting. They're both suffering pretty generic trauma (the person I thought I loved left me!!!) and their responses to that trauma are actually pretty similar (run! hide!). But the characters themselves are pretty unique. The treatment of someone who has a chronic illness is often ignored by romance novels, but Hibbert takes it face on and treats Chloe with respect while not underselling the unique challenges Chloe would face if she were real. Red is an artist and while there is a bit of stereotypical artist angst, he's mostly just a good dude.  I also really liked Smudge the Cat as a character.  

Believable conflict: Eh, I think this book relies a bit too much on the old "one conversation would sort this out" trope, but I'm starting to think this is much more common in the world than it is in my world.  I feel like the book could have ended much sooner than it did, but on the other hand, I really like the part where a guy is groveling, so there you have it.  

Emotional tension: There was absolutely no tension here. She was into him, he was into her. There was conflict - who was going to give in first? - but no tension. I think that a dual point of view often prevents the buildup because you are inside both of their heads. This could have been a much different, probably better, book if we'd only known one perspective.

Happily ever after: Oh, this was such a sweet ending. They're both getting to do something that they wanted to do and they get to do it together.  A perfect ending, as far as I'm concerned.

This book had snappy banter and steamy sex scenes. I think the second book was better, but I like that this book deals with the issues of interracial relationships and chronic illness in a way that was just part of the story not THIS IS AN ISSUE BOOK.  Talia Hibbert is witty and wonderful.  I would definitely recommend this book and am excited for the third book in the series to come out mid-May.

No comments:

Post a Comment