Monday, September 25, 2023

11.25 Relationship - Your Person

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-fifth day of the month is "Relationship."

*****************

Do you have a person? You know, the person you can call when you have a dumb question or complaint? The person who you know will bail you out of jail? The person you may not see regularly, but is your number one text or phone friend? I feel like everybody should have one to three people like this in their life.

I have Dr. BB, of course, but honestly I don't go to him with dumb questions because he's super smart and I know he'll judge me. And he's certainly not my number one text or phone friend. He's obviously My Person and I spend more time with him than anyone else in the world and we've officially lived together longer than we have with anyone else (like, including our families of birth! - how crazy is that?!), but I have three other contenders.

Definitely My Dog. No contest. 

One is Bestest Friend. I can call her and know she will make me laugh. If I ask a question, she will answer with deepest authority, even if she has no idea. Her ability to make up reasonable sounding explanations on the spot can not be beat. When we haven't seen each other for months and months, it doesn't matter. It's as if we just saw each other yesterday. When we go on vacation together, we know that we need to leave a couple of hours in the day for silent napping and/or reading. She thought I was  bitch when we first met. She was probably right.

One in TJC. She has spent the most nights in our guest room of everyone and we actually call it TJC's room. She is the kindest person I know, even though she is constantly disappointed by humanity. She's a brilliant writer and thinker and sometimes when I'm in a room with her and Dr. BB, I wonder how in the world I came to be surrounded by people whose brains work at a level I'll never understand. We met in an honors section of a class called American Culture Studies and Dr. Joe, if you're out there, we still talk about your drawing about how suburbs were created. We also took several philosophy classes together and Dr. Stuart, if you're out there, we still talk about how absolutely charming you were. TJC is definitely my number one texting friend.

One is my cousin J. She and I grew up sending letters back and forth. She sometimes calls me and we share what little family gossip we have and commiserate on the fact that our parents don't tell us anything. She and I are direct opposites (like, she and Bestest Friend share a lot of personality traits), but somehow when we get together, it's like we're thirteen again. J would definitely bail me out of jail.

*****************

Who is Your Person?

28 comments:

  1. Aw, this is so nice. I love having those "bury the body" friends. I have a couple of them as well, in addition to my husband, who I THINK would help me bury the body? He's pretty helpful in any case. Friends are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my husband would be more likely to call me a lawyer instead of bury the body, but I guess we'll never know unless it comes up! LOL.

      Delete
  2. If family and spouses are off the table, then My Person is my friend in Maryland. We know each other so well, and even if we haven't been together in person in a long time, we've been in constant contact over the phone or via text or our nonstop-for-over-a-decade matches of Words With Friends. There's nothing we don't talk or haven't talked about. Our kids and spouses are friends as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's delightful when your friends' families get along well with your families! Yay for that connection.

      Delete
  3. I would certainly hope my husband would bail me out of jail, but for dumb questions and random life details, my sister is my person. We text back and forth all the time, photos of our food, our pets, etc. I feel VERY lucky to have her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very lucky to have a sister like that. I'm a bit envious over here!

      Delete
  4. I love reading about your people! LOL at Bestest Friend's made up answers and that she thought you were a b-word when you first met. Ha! My sister is my person! And my friends Val and Courtney too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's really good at BS. Honestly, it's one of her best skills.

      Delete
  5. You have an amazing "stable" of people, NGS! (I don't know why I named that collective a stable... no disrespect intended.) My spouse, sister, and a handful of friends would be my bail-me-out, bury- bodies, help-me-understand people. And as I was typing, I realize I could probably include my nearly grown kids too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh...you created your own People! Yay!

      Delete
  6. Love this! I REALLY miss my grandma and my dad because they were both my go-to phone friends during work commutes-- I still think about calling both of them and get a little pang when I remember I can't. But there are many other wonderful ppl to call in a pinch. Those two were just my OGs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is hard when one of your people goes away. My Grandmother used to be my #1 snail mail correspondent and no one has been able to replace that. It's sad.

      Delete
  7. No one fits that bill outside if immediate family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. Outside of my husband, I think I'm leaving my immediate family out of it!

      Delete
  8. That's a wonderful group you have. I have T, my partner, yet I, too, avoid asking him dumb questions for fear of appearing not smart ( I am a PhD after all lol). My friend B is very accepting and I can text her to rant any time of day really. My friend H is a great listener but is going through some awful stuff lately. My other friend H has been distance lately so I am cognizant what I say to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has a PhD and that's why I am a tiny bit nervous to ask him dumb questions. But in the end I think if it's not Googleable, then it's probably not a dumb question?

      Delete
  9. My guy is my logical go to (especially if I need something researched). For dumb questions, I have a small handful of life subject matter experts that I can desperation text and have them guide me (for which I am incredibly grateful for)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to have people have your back, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. I LOVE this post. Yes, I have people and I love that and feel so fortunate to know there are humans out there that have my back.
    My #1 person is definitely my husband, but that is so closely followed by my bestie and I definitely look to her for different forms of support. I think, basically daily, how much better my life is with her in it. We are so alike and yet different. She makes me laugh, but she also makes me feel comfortable to cry when I need to. Gah. I love "my" people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to have a reliable friend for ALL the times, isn't it?

      Delete
  11. I wonder why so many of my blog friends bury bodies? 😜😳
    My husband is my number one go-to; we rely on each others input. Also, I have a great circle of close friends who I could call at anytime of the day or night. *Counting on my fingers* I have seven aside Coach who would assist me in anything...even burying that elusive body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I honestly don't know if I do have anyone who would bury a body. Mostly they'd just get me appropriate legal help. Interesting question, though!

      Delete
  12. I love this, and I loved reading these comments and seeing who other people's People are. My mom has always been my #1 and I KNOW she would help bury a body for me, haha. I can also count on my brother for a lot. But when it comes to advice and stuff like that, my two best friends Mikaela and Bri are my go-tos. One gives me tough love when I need it and the other enormous compassion and kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a deep bench, isn't it?! Yay for good friends!

      Delete
  13. I love this. I think - and hope - we all have this person!
    My person is my (twin) sister. I know I could call her and talk to her about ANYTHING. She takes me seriously but also knows how to make me laugh.

    I have a couple of friends that are close seconds, but I would always reach out to my sister first for anything .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you're so close with your sister. Yay for you!

      Delete
  14. I love this! I have several people who fall into this category, besides Phil of course. One if a friend I met through Phil - she's the wife of one of the guys who was Phil's best man at our wedding. She lives close by and she's someone I can text if I am having a hard day parenting and need a break/need some company. I can cry in front of her and feel very comforted. Besides her, I'd include my URL turned IRL best Amber although we are not geographically close. Similarly, my sister is this person but she's in AZ. I really rely on her for venting about family stuff and early parenting challenges since her oldest and my youngest are close in age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice that you have people you can count on through the challenging times, isn't it? I'm loving reading about everyone's people!

      Delete