Monday, September 25, 2023

Angel in a Devil's Arms and I'm Only Wicked with You (The Palace of Rogues #2 and #3) by Julie Ann Long

The Palace of Rogues
Lady Derring Takes a Lover

****************
Angel in a Devil's Arms is the second book in The Palace of Rogues series by Julie Ann Long. I listened to the audiobook version narrated by Justine Eyre.

Angelique Breedlove says she's a widow, but she's never been married. She's the disgraced mistress of her business partner's late husband. She's turned over a new leaf, though, and she wants to live a quiet life building her boardinghouse business. All of that is well and good until Lord Bolt, Lucian Durand walks into her life. 

Interesting characters: I think there was so much potential here. Angelique was so interesting in the first book. But, you know, these things fall off I guess. I have so many questions about Lord Bolt (how did he get his title? he's the illegitimate son of a duke, but the illegitimate part is important) and they never really got answered. Oh, well. 

Believable conflict: Oh, sure. Lord Bolt is all over the newspapers and Angelique would like for no one to ever think about her again. I can see why this lifestyle difference would lead to some powerful conflict. 

Emotional tension: You know what? No, but I also didn't mind because what we have here are two consenting adults doing things that consenting adults do and who cares if they jump each other the second they can?  It's FINE. It's GREAT even. 

Happily ever after: Yep, these two are going to do just fine. They balance each other nicely and they each understand each other's ambition. I like it. 

Lines of note:

"What is a lens, pray tell?"
"Love is. You see everything through it and when you learn it is false, you are forced to recast everything in your life in a new light. Everything." (timestamp 04:23:44)

Oh, man. I do wonder what happens when people don't feel love, though. What's their lens?

"It is very difficult to seduce a woman who refuses to admire my hyperbole. And it took me years to perfect it." (04:49:49)

I did think some of the banter between these two was funny.

"A package has arrived for you, sir."
Lucien didn't look up. "What is it?"
"The nature of packages is that they're often inscrutable, sir."
"Ah, Exeter, you ought to go on stage. You entertain me endlessly." (timestamp 06:55:21)

I audibly guffawed. AUDIBLY.

Hat mentions:

He got out the door and was just cramming on his hat when he heard the hard slam of boots coming up behind him on the cobblestones. (timestamp 04:07:06)

He peered into the room. His hat was in his hand, as was his coat. (timestamp 05:20:30)

****************

I immediately got the next audiobook from the library because my podcast list is dismal right now.  I'm Only Wicked with You is the third book in the series and the audiobook is also read by Justine Eyre.


Lady Lillias Vaughn is the spoiled oldest daughter of a duke. Her family is staying at the boardinghouse while work is being done on their home. Hugh Cassidy is an American who is looking for a friend's runaway daughter before he wants to return to New York to become a politician. (If you ever want a laugh, imagine a lady with a British accent trying to to a male American accent. Hysterical.)

Interesting characters: Hm. I didn't care for this couple. They bicker. She's spoiled and doesn't seem to know it. He's a kind of ambitious I don't understand at all. I mean, I guess it's interesting to be in the minds of people who are opposite from me, but I just didn't enjoy spending time with them for the most part. 

Believable conflict: For sure. They're different classes and have different plans for life. She wants to continue living her comfortable life in England and he wants to return to America. 

Emotional tension: Ugh. I was uncomfortable with this storyline. Even though he's untitled, he has a lot of power in this situation and I felt like he took advantage of her. So, she falls for him, but I sort of wonder if she would have fallen for any man who gave her a good orgasm. It doesn't feel like she had complete information in her decision making. 

Happily ever after: Hm. I guess? I mean, they seem happy so I guess I was content with that.

I wanted this book to be slightly better than it was, but I still listened to it over the course of two days, so I'm not complaining that much, you know? 3/5 stars 

Line of note:

The difficult people were those who made others uncomfortable by trying to be something they fundamentally were not.  (timestamp 02:45:11)

Hm. I don't know. Sometimes the difficult people are the people who are over-the-top themselves. 

Hat mentions:

He reach for his hat, jammed it on, and grinned at his reflection. (timestamp 25:59)

Sauntering through foyer came Sinjin holding his coat over one arm and his hat in the other. (timestamp 05:36:41)

"Always at your service," he said, touching his hat... (timestamp 05:54:01)

And then she saw a man slinking toward the servant's entrance of the townhouse keeping to the shadows. He was carrying a hat and overcoat and walking stick.(timestamp 09:16:40)

They could see that the man, and it was a man, was wearing a long, dark coat and tall boots and a beaver hat. (timestamp 09:52:03)

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, well I have no problem judging a book by its cover, and I don't like these based on their covers. They sound like decent historical romances though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're fine historical romances. Fine. I''m just excited to have something to listen to these days.

      Delete