Wednesday, April 26, 2023

6.26 Moment - Snapshot of the Day, Edition #10 4/25/2023

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-sixth day of the month is "Moment." 

********************

I got the idea for this type of "snapshot" post from Stephany Writes who got it from To Love and To Learn. I'm a straight-up copycat of the format.

********************

Edition #1 11/17/2021
Edition #2 12/22/2021
Edition #3 1/26/2022
Edition #4 3/9/2022
Edition #5 4/25/2022
Edition #6 6/23/2022
Edition #7 8/30/2022
Edition #8 2/25/2023
Edition #9 3/25/2023

********************
Time I woke up: 6:30 am when the alarm went off.

First thing I did upon waking: Read some of my Kindle book (Misconduct by Penelope Douglas, which is...a book I'm reading) while hanging out under my SAD lamp.

Today's weather: Dumb. Cloudy. Cold. High in the low 40s. I'm so cold. I feel like I'll never be warm again. My heated vest was on the majority of the day.
Hannah on our morning walk. Note that it was sprinkling. The weather. Is. Terrible. Today. You might also note the church in the background.
 
An out-of-the-ordinary thing that happened today: I went to that 20/20/20 class this morning, which is becoming pseudo-normal because of the number of conflicts I have with the tabata class I'd really like to go to. BUT! Today the teacher started incorporating some journaling into the process. I really admire that the teacher is trying things out in this class to see what fits her style, but "what color do you feel?" is not really my jam.  (I told Dr. BB about the journaling aspect of class and he snarkily responded that I should just have written down my blog's URL. MEAN!)

(Also, I typed this before Hannah and I did our evening walk and that walk we encountered three young teens, each riding a different wheeled conveyance - a scooter, a bike, and a skateboard. Hannah really reacts badly to non-automobile wheeled things, so I pulled her off to the side, distracted her with treats, and started to figure out a plan to get Hannah by without her freaking out. For boring reasons, I could cross the street, but I had to wait for a light to change or I could walk by the boys. They heard me talking to her and immediately got off their machines and started walking, allowing Hannah and I enough time to get across the street. I kept distracting her with treats, the boys ignored us, and all was well. They did everything RIGHT as far as I was concerned and all I have to say is that the kids are all right in our town. This was unexpected and delightful and I was so pleased with the boys and with Hannah for keeping it together.) 

Last thing I read (on the internet): Recently, I have taken to watching videos about famous shipwrecks on YouTube (Part-Time Explorer and Maritime Horrors are a couple of my favorite channels) as part of my documented love for maritime misadventure stories. As part of a rabbit hole I went down after watching a video about the sinking of a tourist duck boat, I read an article about the safety of duck boats in the Wisconsin Dells. I don't even remember the last time I was on a boat (okay, FINE, it was in 2016), but I somehow imagine all of this research being important someday. I will NOT die in a boating accident. 

Last thing I read (not on the internet): I am reading a non-fiction book called Highway of Tears by Jessica McDiarmid, a rather infuriating book chronicling the lives and deaths of the indigenous women and girls along highway 16 in British Columbia, Canada, as well as an indictment of the history and society that has created this terrible phenomenon. I have a lot of thoughts, but I'm still in the thick of it right now and it's powerful, compelling, and terribly sad.  
Note the pen and paper. *sigh*

Last text I sent: I sent "Today it was a black sedan that slowed down to ask about H. I can't believe this doesn't happen to you" to my husband.

Last text I received: He sent back "Not once!"

Last website I visited: The website of the community center to see if the building was being used at a weekend someone in the community wants to hold an art exhibit.
I spent a lot of time at the community center today. We are trying to decide if the patio pavers need to be leveled this year of if we can put it off until next year. I think whatever we decide, the steps need to be dealt with.

Last show I watched: We watched an episode of Bones on Amazon Prime (S1E13 "The Woman in the Garden").  When Dr. BB and I were dating, we watched Bones a lot and there were ads for it when we were watching For the Love of Dogs, so I decided we should watch it again. 

Last podcast I listened to: Episode 88 of Ear Hustle called "Do You Know Who I Am?" which is about a new law in California that allows transgender, nonbinary, and intersex prisoners to transfer to prisons that match their gender identity. Super interesting, as all Ear Hustle episodes are. 

Last thing I said: The camera was focusing when I took photos, but the rest of the photo was blurry. Since it's usually so sharp, I think something's wrong with it. 

Last thing I ate: Dinner. We had a frittata and popcorn. 

Books I picked up at the library. My current stack of books is weighted with a lot of romance novels, so be prepared for a slew of snarky reviews soon enough.

What I was doing an hour ago: I had just gotten back from a board meeting at the community center and I was starting to prepare dinner.

What I will be doing an hour from now: Reading on the couch. 

Current whereabouts of the other members of the household: My husband is finishing up some work on his computer, Hannah is curled up at his feet, and Zelda is sleeping in Hannah's crate. 

She is so gorgeous showing off her murder mitten. 

One thing I crossed off my to-do list today: Oh, I did SO MUCH today. I went to the store to get some fresh produce, picked up some library holds (I have too many romance novels!), went to Walgreen's to pick up prints for a friend, and went to a board meeting for the community center. I really did make the most of the day.
Our camera isn't focusing well, so our Easter pictures turned out badly. Dr. BB asked me to take some photos and see if I was having a problem with it, too, to figure out if we need to send it in for repairs. I am having a hard time getting it to focus properly, but I'm willing to show you this outtake of Hannah being so over me. 

Please tell me the weather is better where you are. You deserve nice weather. 

28 comments:

  1. I wish (not really) that I could commiserate with you about the weather, but it has been absolutely gorgeous here! It was 75 yesterday and I went for a nice bike ride in a tank top and shorts. It was great. I am really looking forward to summer, although I think my usual mountain haunts are going to be snowy this year, but I don't care, I will soldier through because I am ready to be outside in the sunshine!

    Very cute pics of the pets, even the blurry one! Re YouTube wormholes, my confession is that I watch grocery shopping hauls and bikepacking "documentaries" (or vlogs) and can get a little too into them at times! However, I agree with you that they are in the name of research (cheap groceries require planning!) and so I am not going to give them up yet. I may have to check out the sinking duck video at some point but I am kind of afraid of a new wormhole...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy for you that you have good weather! I'm a little jealous, but mostly just happy you are having a better season than I am!

      Ooooohhhhh...I don't think I can go down a grocery shopping haul YouTube rabbit hole. That could be really dangerous for me.

      Delete
  2. We watched Bones quite a lot during the darkest days of the pandemic. We never quite finished, though, as better alternatives became available. That sounds snooty. It was good enough for a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Bones is just fine. There's a lot of emotional manipulation and police brutality and we did stop watching it in the past, so who knows how far we'll get this time?

      Delete
  3. Our weather is horrid. Cold. Cloudy. Gloomy. Suicidal. I'm starting to take it personally. Any time I sit down, I turn on my heating pad (its name is Mighty Bliss, and it truly is).

    I'm glad that the kids on personal conveyances were sensitive to Hannah. As much as I love meeting dogs, I often cross the street or walk into the road to give leashed dogs a break, especially if I can tell they are young, being trained, or simply not great on lead. It's so easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! That's the right way to phrase it - I'm taking this weather PERSONALLY. I survived February with a certain level of cheer. I made through March with the thought that April would at least be warmer. April has let me down, though. Now I am really struggling.

      Delete
  4. Bones!!! I loved that show. I think I watched it up to the point where they had the baby and then it started to get a little stale. Have you read the books? They're totally different from the show and they're excellent.

    One of my husband's hobbies is watching shipwreck videos on Youtube. The Edmund Fitzgerald is the house favorite. And also I love going for boat rides anytime that I get the chance. I'm talking about short rides though, a few hours tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first book by Kathy Reichs book a long time ago, but never really went back. Maybe I'll revisit it!

      I've only been on short boat rides, mostly doing tourist things. I've done things like lighthouse cruises, a Duck boat cruise in the Wisconsin Dells, and that kind of thing. I've never been on a personal watercraft, though, or a cruise. I'm not a confident swimmer, so that kind of thing sometimes stresses me out

      Delete
  5. Ughhhhhhh the weather!!! Has been so annoying!!!! I can't stand it anymore. I also just want to feel WARM. I'm so tired of going on walks where I am chilled the whole time, and I'm tired of looking at the weather app and seeing such chilly temps. At least we should have a nicer day today/tomorrow, but then it looks crummy again over the weekend (when, of course, we have to sit on a soccer field.) Enough already! How I despise spring here.

    I am in love with your cat!!! I want her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can not have my kitty. She's my baby!!! She cuddles and purrs and is just delightful. She's also naughty, loud, and pukes a lot, so there are some downsides.

      Delete
  6. Yes, my sister says the weather (in Illinois) has been absolutely terrible. Come down to Florida! I's supposed to get into the 90s this weekend.
    I'm laughing at that class... I think I asked you this last time, but how are the other people liking it? I think I would stop going, but I don't know... maybe I'm being close-minded.
    I love all cats, but Zelda truly is gorgeous. I feel like Hannah gets more than her fair share of attention on your blog- more Zelda pictures! (Not less of Hannah though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that only two of us have taken her class, me and a woman named Nicole. Nicole seems to be more in vibe with the teacher and has even cried (!) in class before. I think it's probably a good class for a certain type of person and I'm probably not that person. I am not sure if the teacher is going to run another session of the class, though, since attendance has been so low.

      I will endeavor to put more photos of Zelda on the blog for you. The thing is, Zelda really doesn't go anywhere, so when I post photos of her, they're always on the cat tree, the couch, or her rocking chair, so you don't get much variety. Oh, well. If the people want more photos of her fuzzy face, who am I to deny them?

      Delete
  7. Oooh I like these posts a lot.
    No, the weather is not better. I just did the conversion and I think it's pretty much the same, but that's not atypical for here. As of this second, it's 2 degrees C, but it will warm up a bit today. And then supposed to be quite nice on the weekend, but I'll wait and see.
    People bitch about teens all the time but I think they are awesome, and your story was really great to hear!
    I have not read that book but of course, as a Western Canadian I know all about it. It is very sad and tragic, and so I won't be reading that book because I really can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather is definitely unseasonably cold here and I am Over. It. I could not live in your neck of the woods, Nicole, because I would be a grumpface for six months of the year.

      I generally think teens in small groups or alone are great, but once there's more than four or so, there's a switch that gets flipped and I can no longer deal. But, we live just down the street from the middle school and those kids are always so polite and respectful of Hannah. I've really grown to love the middle school students since we adopted Hannah. It's a side of them I never would have known about without a dog.

      Delete
  8. Love these posts.

    I wore my heated vest today and thought of you like a dozen times! It has been cloudy here all week and I am so over it. I took a scalding shower yesterday at 2:20 pm for no other reason than I was so cold I couldn't bear another moment of this awful gloomy April weather. Though in my son's class they each pick a weather forecast for the week as part of some arbitrary morning activity and this week he picked cloudy and so each morning he is OVER THE MOON it's cloudy because the little icon he chose is correct for every single day. One afternoon the sun came out, but he told me with great joy "it was cloudy this morning"...when it counted for his classroom weather game.

    "But "what color do you feel?" is not really my jam." That made me laugh. And I also loved Dr. BB's response. I think it's a great point.

    I recently blogged about how friendly the teens are in our town. It makes me very happy. And my Dad audited 5 classes at a local university this winter and he kept remarking how friendly everyone was - he seemed shocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What color do you feel? Honestly, how do you answer that? I'm not a synesthetic, so these types of things don't really resonate with me. I mean, I really don't want to harsh anyone's yoga vibes and if this question means something to other people, great! It really is just not for people like me. Ha.

      Today it is slightly warmer and sunnier. I am grateful for small changes. But I'm still wearing my vest.

      Delete
  9. Seriously, though. The weather HAS been remarkably bad. Today it was sunny when I left, so I didn't wear a coat, and MISTAAAAAAKE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo cold on Thursday! The sun was misleading!

      Delete
  10. Zelda is so beautiful! So is Hannah!

    You got a lot done! Woo hoo!

    It was sunny and cool today, here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls thank you very much for the compliments!

      Delete
  11. We've actually been having really nice weather here! It's gotten a lot on the hot side recently, but we've also had so many days with weather in the mid-70s and it feels great. I'm mostly excited that it's almost afternoon thunderstorm season! I love seeing the gray clouds roll in during the afternoon, especially since I can stay cozy inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you deserve nice weather! We all do!

      Delete
  12. Just came to rave over the closeup portraits of Hannah and Zelda--stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - having great models helps!

      Delete
  13. The Kids Are Alright in your town; I love that!!
    Sorry about the crappy weather. It's hot and sunny here. Like summer hot.
    Murder Mitten. I LOVE THAT PHRASE.
    Maybe reset all your camera settings to factory default?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think either of us has done a lot research about what to do with the camera situation. It's more than ten years old, so maybe it's just reached the end of its useful life? We'll have to see!

      Delete
  14. I'm pretty sure our weather is better than yours. It was colder today but beautifully sunny, but we've had some goreous days over 20C this week.

    Those boys are delightful, so thoughtful and also to be aware of what was going on is amazing in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teens are awesome. They're honestly one of my favorite age groups (and the one I study, for that reason). Granted, they have their, um, moments. Or, um, hours. But for the most part? I <3 teens.
    Also, Hannah and Zelda are just beautiful animals. Sigh. You're so lucky, getting to hang out with them every day!
    Finally - yikes on those stairs. Concur that something must be done about those even if nothing else is done this year.

    ReplyDelete