Wednesday, August 31, 2022

A Snapshot of My Day, Edition #7 8/30/2022

I got the idea for this type of "snapshot" post from Stephany Writes who got it from To Love and To Learn. I'm a straight up copycat of the format. 

Hannah on her morning walk. Grumpy dog.

Time I woke up: 6:30 when the alarm went off.

First thing I did upon waking: Cuddled with Dr. BB for a few minutes before we got up and closed all the windows upstairs for the day.

Today's weather: Beautiful August day - high of 75 and blue skies. 

Sunset by the river. 

An out-of-the-ordinary thing that happened today: The executive director of the community center I volunteer for is retiring and we did face-to-face interviews with the finalists for the position today. It was so weird to be on the other side of the interview situation.

Last thing I read (not on the internet): I'm reading the book Dawn by Octavia Butler. 

Last thing I read (on the internet): This story about a guy who was cyberstalking everyone. Crazy.

Last text I sent: I forwarded a text from one of my friends that said "Thank you for encouraging me...the calm I feel now after what was a stressful day is amazing" to my yoga teacher with the note "Message from L yesterday after class - you do great work!"

Last text I received: (in response to the above text) "Oh, yay!!!!!  Thanks for sharing, D! Heart emoji"

Last website I visited: Goodreads to find that link to the book above. Ha. Before then, I had checked the library website to keep an eye on when my holds are going to come in and when some books are due.



Last show I watched: We watched the documentary Inside the Mind of a Cat on Netflix over the weekend. I am fascinated by the research that shows cats have distinct personalities when they are as young as three days old. I wonder how consistent those personalities remain over the lifetime of a cat.

Last thing I said: "Yes" to Dr. BB after he asked me if it would be okay for him to turn on the television while I worked on this post.

Last thing I ate: The above zucchini bread. I have a confession to make - it was a little dry because I overbaked it.  Didn't stop me from eating it.

Her face!  Why does she always look so grumpy in photos?

What I was doing an hour ago: Finishing up dinner.

What I will be doing an hour from now: Probably reading.

Current whereabouts of the other members of the household: Dr. BB is watching television (Archer), Zelda is on the top of the couch just over my shoulder, and Hannah is laying down at my feet.

One thing I crossed off my to-do list today: I sent a rather brisk email to my boss asking him about the plans for winding down my job.  

She loves me, I promise. But the birds are so distracting!

Are you also overwhelmed with zucchini and making lots of zucchini bread? Is the weather as absolutely gorgeous where you are as it is where I am? Do your pets immediately look grumpy when you take out your camera?

22 comments:

  1. Grrr. Do not talk to me about the weather for the next two months! This is when living in Florida is hard- we'll be in the 90s every day until the end of October (or later, possibly) while everyone else is ranting about their beautiful fall weather. A high of 75 sounds like heaven to me.
    I really want to watch that Netflix documentary! It doesn't surprise me- all cats seem to have such distinct personalities to me- but I want to know more. On the subject of pets- Hannah is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally think of late August as super hot, too, which is why this lovely weather is a bit unexpected. That being said, I guess I'll avoid talking about weather for the next two months!

      Delete
  2. I have zucchini but not as much as I thought I would, having seven plants and all. I have lots of tiny zucchinis so I'm sure I'll have a ton in a week or so. I do love zucchini bread, I have a chocolate recipe that I use pretty frequently. I also grate and freeze zucchini in one-cup portions so I can make it throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I bet your growing season is just a bit behind ours, so you're probably going to be overrun soon. Zucchini bread for the win!

      Delete
  3. I think most cats looks grumpy in most pictures most of the time. I think I am part cat since I tend to look a bit grumpy although not necessarily in pictures. 🙀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naps a lot? Looks grumpy a lot? Definitely part cat!

      Delete
  4. I love that you sent a "brisk" e-mail.
    I don't have pets, but my kids often either look grumpy or crazy as soon as I try to take their picture. Usually the latter where they intentionally bug out their eyes and do these wild smiles that make them look absolutely deranged simply to get a rise out of me...it TOTALLY works and they're going to look back on the pictorial evidence of this part of their life someday and ask me What where we doing?
    The weather has been great here. Warm, sunny, but the mornings are starting to crisp up.
    You and Hannah look adorable in that final photo. And for the record I don't think they look grumpy; they're very sweet looking pets.
    While I don't look grumpy in photos my eyes are closed at least 75% of the time. I have very weird eyelids (one of my sister's + my Dad have the same thing, so I blame my Dad since it must be hereditary?). If you're talking to me, you wouldn't notice it, but my eyelids are always half closed and never fully open which means even if I'm not blinking my eyes are quasi-obscured. It's SUPER annoying for photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my nephews doesn't seem to know how to smile on command, so in all his photos he's making a goofy face or straight up frowning. Someday he's going to regret this phase of his life.
      I've never noticed anything weird about your eyes in photos - you must be good at finding ones that are flattering (or I am super unobservant).

      Delete
  5. It must be a cat thing: Maggie often gives me that look, which I call her "I am so disappointed in you" look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's that I struggle to get photos in which Zelda's eyes are fully open, so you don't get the full effect of her lovely gaze. She ends up looking squinty and grumpy, even though she's really delightful.

      Delete
  6. We definitely want to watch that documentary on cats when we finish this season of alone. Phil is as big of a cat lover as a person can be. Even though we don't do gifts, I bought him a t-shirt with a cat in a baby carrier, like a baby bjorn. He gets a lot of comments/compliments when he wears it. Oscar rarely looks happy to have her picture taken!

    I don't have a garden so I don't have a plethora of zucchini to deal with, but I did back in the day! There was a great zucchini rice dish we would make (https://iowagirleats.com/creamy-parmesan-zucchini-rice/). If you aren't familiar w/ that blog, it's a good one to check out for GF recipes. And a dry piece of zucchini bread would not deter me at all!!

    The weather has been gorgeous here, too! I am especially loving the cool mornings and not having to run our a/c. This is my kind of weather - comfortable with low humidity and lots of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for the zucchini rice recommendation. I may make that soon! We are actually a little rice shy these days because of arsenic in rice, but we're running out of carbs, so I guess we're just going to pretend rice isn't a problem? (*heavy sigh*) A dry piece of zucchini bread can be made un-dry with a little bit of butter!

      Delete
  7. As always, I love the snapshot posts. I only planted one zucchini plant this year so we weren't overrun but I just found a killer chocolate zucchini recipe that we all love so it looks like I'll have to plant more next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I have made a chocolate zucchini bread in the past and actually thought the regular bread was better. What's your recipe?

      Delete
  8. oh my gosh, I love your dog so much! She's so cute!! I don't think she looks grumpy, she looks adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! She IS adorable. (And stubborn. And grumpy.) :)

      Delete
  9. What a fun post--I love this so much as it gives me a real insight to you. But, of course not in that damn creepy way the cyberstalker did. YIKES.

    I've grown zucchini before but apparently I didn't do it right because I never had a huge amount.

    I think your pets are adorable and not grumpy looking at all. Also, it's sweet that your honey asked if it's ok to turn on the TV. What a guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite sensitive to noise, so my husband is particularly good about asking me where he should be for noisy things! I DO appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. A high of 75 sounds DIVINE! Go ahead and flaunt this nice August weather you're having - those of us in Florida get to do that when you're all bundled up in winter gear. I hope you get to have a nice fall before the winter season hits!

    Your pets are so adorable. I think Hannah looks very regal in the first photo. I find it very hard to get photos of my cats where they don't look grumpy, so sometimes I make crazy sounds as I'm getting a photo of them to change their facial expressions, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zelda and Hannah are immune to my crazy noises at this point. They just want the camera out of their faces! I deeply admire pet photographers - they know all the tricks!

      Delete
  11. I always love these types of posts and glimpses into the every day life.
    That picture of you and Hannah is frame-worthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these posts, too! Your hair, btw, looks awesome (as does your sign! wholeheartedly agree...)
    And Hannah looks dignified! not grumpy at all. Now, Zelda, on the other hand.... :)
    Comparing my day to others' is one of my favorite ways of exploring what other options are out there, to be honest. Sometimes I get really good ideas from these posts, related to routines, or priorities, or other things that I could (or, um, maybe *should*) change, but for which I'm having difficulty identifying *how* I could make those changes.

    ReplyDelete