Thursday, January 27, 2022

A Snapshot of My Day, Edition #3 - 1/26/2022

I got the idea for this type of "snapshot" post from Stephany Writes who got it from To Love and To Learn. I'm a straight up copycat of the format!

Time I woke up: 6:30am when the alarm went off. 

First thing I did upon waking: I read a bit of How to Be a Victorian by Ruth Goodman on my Kindle while hanging out under the SAD lamp for thirty minutes. The chapter was about clothing - it sounds like it was perfectly miserable to be alive in the time of corsets and bustles.

Today's weather: It was -14 when I took the dog out this morning, but the sun came out in the afternoon, the skies cleared, and we managed to get up to a high of 8 degrees.  

Zelda wanted cuddles after breakfast. Who am l I to deny that face?

An out-of-the-ordinary thing that happened today: I can't stress to you just how cold it's been. The local high school shut down because they were having issues with the furnace. I had to put Hannah's coat and booties on for her morning walk. It just feels like my entire existence today was focused on making sure I didn't freeze.

Last thing I read (not on the Internet): I was reading an article in Sports Illustrated about a speed skater who is going to be representing Hong Kong in the Olympics. SI used to be a quality magazine, but its quality has really declined in the last two years and I will not be renewing our subscription.

Last thing I read (on the Internet): A Twitter thread about Jad Abumrad leaving the podcast Radiolab. I have mixed feelings on this because the show has lost some of its original luster, but now that both original hosts are gone, can it get that luster back? I guess we'll see. Hopefully good things are in store for Abumrad.

Last text I received: From one of my best friends complaining about her boss. 

Last text I sent: "The wrath is real." This is in reference to me driving someplace only to find they had closed early.

Last website I visited: Zoom to sign in for a fitness class after work.


Last show I watched: I watched an episode of Richard Osman's House of Games on YouTube during lunch.

Last thing I said: "Good snack. Yum yum. Good job eating!" Hannah the Dog's appetite is still not great, so we do a lot of encouraging!

Last thing I ate: I had a slice of broccoli and potato frittata for dinner.

Look at that frost on her muzzle. 

What I was doing an hour ago: Feeding the cat and dog. Dr. BB teaches late on Wednesday nights, so I have to do all the feeding, which is actually a bit of a challenge.  I like when he handles Zelda while I train Hannah.

Current whereabouts of the other members of the household: Dr. BB is teaching, Hannah the Dog is laying at my feet, and Zelda is sleeping on her rocking chair.

One thing I crossed off my to-do list today: I had a work meeting I was not looking forward to and it's over now and that's about the best thing I can say about that.

We've been trying to get rid of this cardboard pile for months, but our recycling bin only has so much space and only gets picked up every other week. Meanwhile, the pile lives on in our living room. Good times.

And that's my day, friends. Any piles of cardboard in your home? Are you also dreaming of warming weather?

12 comments:

  1. OMG- brrr. That is COLD weather. We're actually getting some cold weather down here- we got a freeze warning because it's going to go down into the 30s over the weekend- I know that sounds balmy to you, but it is seriously cold for us. We're just not used to it (although I did grow up in the midwest.... so I have a vague memory of what -14 feels like!)
    Your recycling pile reminds me of the incident a few years ago, where we forgot to put our recycling out one week. The next week recycling day fell on Christmas, so there was no pickup, and the next week we were out of town. It was a RECYCLING FIASCO. It took us a long time to dig our way out of that one.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we missed three cycles of recycling, I'm pretty sure I'd give up and chuck it all into the garbage bin. Sorry, Mother Earth! I will not tolerate trash clutter for that long!

      Delete
  2. I live south of you so we're living the dream with temps slightly below zero at night and teens during the day. It looks like we've got another week of this and then it will get livable again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, we have had that kind of weather here, too. It's been awful! I feel so cooped up with our kids on the weekends but it's been dangerously cold outside. This morning it was 25 out and I said to our 4yo that "this is swimsuit weather, Paul!" He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Mommy, the lake is still frozen." I'm known for being very literal and he seems to be taking after me! Ha! But it really felt so so warm this morning. We are planning to visit my little sister in AZ next month and I just hope and pray we can stay healthy so that trip can happen.

    We go through phases of piles of cardboard in our garage, especially lately as I bought an air fryer with wedding gift card money and we got a new car seat for our oldest. Both came with the hugest boxes, one of which is currently being used as a 'space ship' in our basement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is FREEZING up here in Canada so I feel your pain. My hair was coated in icy frost this morning on my walk.
    I love these sorts of posts. Always so fun to see what a "typical" day looks like.
    "The wrath is real" comment sounds like something I would text to my best friend. The situation you describe is the worst. Years ago I had a babysitter and did some errands and then had plans to chill at a coffee shop and enjoy a nice dessert solo (my husband was out fo town). I arrived at the shop and very slowly and luxuriously settled in...only to find out they closed in like 6 minutes. What a major bummer. I took a cookie to go (which was subpar) and was resentful about it all week. Like what coffee shop closes at 8 pm, when clearly it should be open until 9 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap, that's cold. I just did the conversion and brrrr. We are having a mild streak right now, so I'm enjoying every single second. Here in Calgary, anything goes, and if we are having mild weather now, it's going to come back to haunt us later. But carpe diem.

    The Victorian clothes! Just imagine getting your period. Or peeing.
    I love these posts! So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, my comment disappeared, so apologies if I am repeating:

    These photos are so cute. And I love that you verbally encourage Hannah to eat.

    My husband has made some large (size wise) purchases recently, and insists on saving the box until he is sure he won't need to send it back. Not sure what his timeline is for that, but we have a bunch of large boxes in the basement. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to see my little Snapshot post making the rounds! Thanks for linking back so I could see it :)

    Brrr...your weather sounds awful. Our weather here isn't great (it's been in the single digits at night and in the mornings for weeks now), but...at least we're not in the negatives. I still remember in college when I lived more north of where I do now and there was like a two-week period it never got above 0 degrees. Not fun!

    Also, we forever have cardboard lying around our house. One (surprisingly) hard thing about moving to a rural location has been the fact that there's no recycling bins down here, so the cardboard tends to just pile up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A high of 8! Oy vey.

    I love all the pictures of Zelda (and Hannah, too, of course!) She is just a majestic-looking cat. I love that she has her own rocking chair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brrr. You guys stay warm. Every other place is freezing right now! It's been on the cool side, but it never freezes here and we have blue skies and sunshine, so it's quite pleasant!

    Zelda is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea of a "Day in the life" post! And that cat -- absolutely gorgeous. Stay cozy. We're cold (17F) but not that cold, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. With that cat face, how could you say no?
    Ah, yes. This was the first week of class for me. The -15 at the bus stop with 15 mph wind was... interesting. So I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete