Friday, June 24, 2022

Snapshot of My Day, Edition #6, 6/23/2022

I got the idea for a "snapshot" type of post from Stephany who got it from Torrie over at To Love and To Learn. I'm a straight up copycat of their format!
Right now.

Time I woke up: Just before my alarm went off this morning at around 6:15. The birds were chirping and the sun was streaming in through the windows.

First thing I did upon waking: Stumbled over to my phone to turn off the alarm and then I went around closing upstairs windows to keep the cool air from overnight in during the day.

Today's weather: Mid-80s and sunny.  Clear blue skies. It's a pretty perfect summer day.

Today is Hannah's third Gotcha Day. We're so proud of our little nugget.

An out-of-the-ordinary thing that happened today: The neighbors have been working on their front porch, which is to say that they totally demolished it. Today they were pouring concrete for a new slab and footings and Hannah the Dog lost her mind at one of the workers. She has rarely been so excitable on a walk and it was not a shining moment in her training.

Last thing I read (not on the Internet): I'm reading Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J.R. Ward because we chose it as our book club book for the month on my joking recommendation. I do not think this book series is perfect (the names all have extra letters in them! like Rhage! and Tohrment!, Ward can't resist name dropping designer brands all the time, and her constant use of the term "shitkickers" instead of shoes or boots is frustrating), but her worldbuilding is solid and in the later books she really dives into some of the difficulties of being in a long-term relationship which is not something you really see in romance a lot.  Do I sound defensive about this choice? It's because I am. I said it sort of jokingly, not expecting that everyone would jump on the suggestion. *sigh* I'll let you know next week how it went over with members of my book, but I'm guessing that the answer is not really well.  

Last thing I read (on the Internet): I read a long reddit thread about the scandal involving Billy Jensen, the former host of the podcast The Murder Squad.  I'm also slightly obsessed with why the McElroys are so abruptly ending their current campaign on The Adventure Zone and moving from weekly to biweekly and have spent more than my fair amount of time reading through threads about that, too. I love juicy podcasting gossip.

Last text I received: Reminder from the vet that Hannah has an appointment tomorrow. (Of course she does!)


Last text I sent: My BFF sent me a meme via text (above) and I texted back "Lolol. It's too true."

Last website I visited: A local two-year college's website to look at job postings.

Our grocery store stocks these in the summer months, so I eat one every night after dinner. I do not regret the extra 100 calories a day.

Last show I watched: I watched an episode of season two of Floor is Lava on Netflix after a particularly stressful job meeting. 

Last podcast I listened to: I'm relistening to Binge Mode Harry Potter as a comfort listen and I just finished the episode on the fourth movie.

Last thing I said: Hannah still won't eat her snack. I don't know how we're going to get her to take her afternoon meds. (I said this to Dr. BB in case that wasn't clear.)

Last thing I ate: Blue Diamond Habanero BBQ Almonds.

Things are crazy next door!

What I was doing an hour ago: Watching Floor is Lava.

What I will be doing an hour from now: Attempting to get Hannah to eat dinner. I suspect it will not go well.

Current whereabouts of the other members of the household: Hannah is sleeping in her bed in the room next to me, Zelda is on her cat tree in the mudroom, and Dr. BB is upstairs practicing guitar.

One thing I crossed off my to-do list today: I had one small assignment at work today to write a paragraph or two explaining something we're doing and I did it.  I procrastinated for far too long, but it was done, so that's that.

I'm only slightly mortified at what a mess my work space is. Only slightly, though.

That's a wrap. Is your desk neater than mine? Does your dog refuse to eat?  Let me know what crazy demolition is happening in your neighborhood!

23 comments:

  1. I always love these posts.
    You look healthy and beautiful, and I love all the pictures of Hannah and blue skies, too!
    Those chocolates look amazing. I love having a little sweet treat to look forward to at the end of the day and it's hard to beat chocolate and caramel (unless it includes PB which beats everything).
    I have never had a dog, but I've had kids that refuse to eat and I suspect it's a similar experience which is NOT FUN. Hope that improves soon for both of you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing these posts - it's nice to see how things change month to month and season to season. Hannah was eating really well and it's only been in the last week or so that we've returned to her refusing her foods. *sigh* Someday we'll figure it out for her.

      Delete
  2. GRAD SCHOOL DOES CHANGE YOU. I remember when I was in grad school, and someone sent an email, I don't know what you call it, joke email? Whatever we had before we had memes and massive internet access. Anyway, it was all about grad school and what it does to you and I felt so seen. Among the things: you have a strong preference between microfiche and microfilm. I am pretty sure no one uses either of those anymore but it was funny back in 1998.
    I love these posts! I like seeing a snapshot of the day and those chocolates look great. Barkley does not refuse to eat, in fact it's the opposite. He'd probably eat all the food, all day long, if we let him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dogs who eat too much and dogs who eat too little are just similar problems in different packaging. Both hard to deal with!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the doggy meds.

    No,my desk is not neater, and it is not as nice a piece of furniture either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love that desk. We stalked antique shops for the better part of a year until we found it, so I appreciate you noticing it!

      Delete
  4. That pic of you and your dog is adorable!! I also LOVE the BBQ Habanero almonds and I have those in my cabinet right now. so good! I usually get to a point where I have to abruptly snap the lid back on and get them away from me before I devour the whole tin. *wait, just one more...*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those almonds are SO good. My husband gets the low sodium ones and I'm always dumbfounded because they just aren't as delicious.

      Delete
  5. I'm a big fan of the snapshot posts! My desk has been in good shape since I started my current job because I'm 100% remote. At my last job I was remote but had to visit the office to get mail, so I had a perpetual layer of paperwork everywhere. In general it drives me nuts if my house is a mess but "work area" mess doesn't bother me at all. I'm consistently inconsistent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm remote, too, but I just jot down lots of notes to myself that I never look at, but I feel terrible tossing out. I'm a mess and definitely consistent about that.

      Delete
  6. Hannah looks happy in those pictures! That's nice to see.
    I'll be interested to hear what happens with the book club. You never know- maybe everyone will surprise you and love it.
    I'm not familiar with that podcast but I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite Hannah's issues with eating, she's honestly a sweet and happy dog! Binge Mode Harry Potter is an excellent podcast and I highly recommend it if you're a HP fan.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for linking back to me! I love seeing how different everyone's days are using the same prompts. And my desk is waaaaaay messier than yours, including a giant mountain of Tootsie Roll wrappers, so....no reason to be mortified ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I'm only slightly mortified, mostly because it's a desk in our main living space. I sometimes consider cleaning it, but only consideration has been done until now.

      Delete
  8. My desk is NOT neater than yours. It becomes a receptacle for a lot of household detritus, plus I am not inherently neat. Your dog is so cute, and I love the photos of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah is adorable and I'm happy I have her around to take photos of or this would be a super boring place to visit.

      Delete
  9. My desk isn't much neater than yours. I don't put much effort into my desk at home since no one else sees it. It's totally tucked away in the guest room in the basement. So papers can kind of accumulate but I don't feel motivated to do anything - until we have an overnight guest which happens so so so so rarely!

    I like these slice of life posts, too! That sunny, blue-sky day sounded perfect! We are having that kind of day today. The humidity finally broke and it's not windy out and it feels so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess someday I'll be motivated to clean the space if we ever have guests again, but until then I just let chaos reign supreme.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I've always been watching Floor is Lava. It's such a silly but fun show. I really enjoy it.

    My desk is very, very neat and tidy because I just cannot work when it's messy. I also don't really need a ton of papers or things like that. I have my planner that I'll jot down notes in and a Post-It pad that I'll write down my to-do list on busy days, but generally, everything is contained on my computer. The cord situation, however, is a nightmare and I have yet to figure out the ideal solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floor is Lava is an absolutely dumb show and I unrepentantly love it. The stakes are so low and the obstacle courses are so cleverly designed!

      Delete
  11. So lovely to see your face more often on here :) my desk isn't much neater than yours, which is mainly because it's very tiny and I have two big monitors and 2 laptops LOL no room to put stuff anywhere. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? This was a desk that wasn't originally meant to be a work desk, so all the drawers are filled with things we need in our lives and there's no room in the drawers for my work material, so it all just gets put into piles. Oh, well. Maybe someday I'll tackle that as an issue, but today is definitely not that day!

      Delete
  12. Love these posts - and the pictures of Hannah. :) Sorry that the construction was driving her bonkers though - hopefully it's over now? I'm kind of wondering why your store only stocks those caramels in the summer? I mean, it's not like it's popsicles or something. I'd think caramels would be a year-round kind of thing. Perhaps you should petition. ;)

    ReplyDelete