Tuesday, November 14, 2023

13.14 A Year of Control

I just finished a yearly project. Each day of the month I posted on a pre-determined theme. During the month of November, I'll post a collage of all my photos on the daily theme from the past year. The theme for the fourteenth day of the month was "Control."

*********************



The Name Game - I am annoyed about what names people use to address me. I accept all blog nicknames, though!
In the Navy Now - There is a framed picture of a burning ship hung up on our office wall.
Zelda in Charge - Cats. They're in charge of everything.
Only You - You can only control you.
On My Own - A day out all by myself.
Too Much of a Good Thing - I struggle with a meditation class.
Apple Juice Fixed Everything - I passed out when I gave blood.
You're in Charge Now - I went to visit some friends. 
Seven Existential Questions - No one asked, but I answered. 
Can't Get You Out of My Head - Song stuck in my head. 
Back It Up - Make a back up of your blog material!
More Interviews - I went on more interviews. I've been on a lot of interviews in the last year. 

*********************
According to my records, I put in more than one hundred applications in the last year and went on more than two dozen interviews. I have a job now, so it's all good, but looking at those numbers is a bit disconcerting. 

*********************
Hannah count: 2
Zelda count: 2
Community center count: 2
Amp count: 2
Dog park count: 1
Me being me count: 3
Community center count: 2

*********************
I know I've been talking about our new washer and dryer a lot, so this will be the last time I discuss it (unless something BIG comes up), but we ordered it on Thursday night and it was delivered on Saturday morning. The time frame they gave us was 7:30-9:30am. I wasn't thrilled that I wouldn't be able to sleep in on Saturday, but the idea of having it done before 10am (within 48 hours of when we ordered it!) was wonderful. We had no control over the drop-off window, but hey, we were getting this done early in the weekend.  We made plans for me to take the dog to the dog park during this time because she has historically lost her doggy mind when workers are in the house.

They pulled in the driveway at 7:35 am and my husband was still in his pajama pants and I had certainly not gotten the dog's gear ready for the dog park! I snapped her harness on and got her out the door before the doorbell rang. (Frankly, this was a mistake. I normally don't have her in a harness when we go to the dog park for two reasons. One, it allows other dogs to grab it when they're wrestling, which is dangerous for both dogs. Two, if she rolls in something disgusting, the harness is harder to clean than a flat collar.) 

And that's how we ended up at the dog park on a chilly, frosty Saturday morning.

Look at the frost! Look at how camouflaged Hannah is!

If you could only see how she prances. So delicate. Like a show horse. LOL.


*********************
Have you had a hard frost yet? 

24 comments:

  1. Now I have two things going through my head (1) a dancing doggies show and (2) the Janet Jackson song "control." Thanks, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen those shows where dogs do all sorts of dancing with their owners - Irish dance, salsa, etc.? I tried to get Hannah to do it, but she's so antsy about physical contact that I couldn't quite convince her that regularly going between my legs was something she enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. Yes we have had frost, sigh. And several instances of flurries. BIGGER SIGH.

    Hannah is gorgeous. And talk about the washer/dryer all you want. It's a big and exciting purchase. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only had flurries twice and it only stuck to the ground (BRIEFLY) once. I'm taking this as a win! May it be a mild winter.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, yes I like the photo of Hannah prancing! She looks very happy in the dog park. It actually looks like a beautiful day in spite of the frost- I see a blue sky! To answer your question- we will never have a frost. And the "feels like" temperature at the end of my run on Sunday was 89F so... maybe a little frost isn't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha. I guess I wasn't thinking of you Floridians when I asked about frost! It would be SHOCKING if you got anything like that, I guess.

      Delete
  4. My, yes, we've had several hard frosts and a bit of The S Word since November arrived. Ugh.

    I can tell Hannah is prancing. That foot! And I love the closeup photo of her nose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I the frost. We only have tons of rain currently so I wouldn't mind some frost. I bet it was. still nice being out and breathing the fresh crisp air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about it being nice. I'm not used to such cold weather just yet and it kind of hurt my lungs. If this were March, I would be celebrating how warm it is, though! It's just a matter of switching perspective.

      Delete
  6. Hey I don't mind hearing about your washer and dryer! We've all been there. We've had a few frosty mornings but only one snow so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping these relatively late frosts will mean that we have a mild winter! Fingers crossed way hard.

      Delete
  7. We usually never have frost. It's a big thing a the news if frost is expected. They give you all kinds of suggestions of how best to dress to handle the cold. It always cracks me up.
    I am glad you found a new position and the job applications are behind you. My PI is likely retiring in the next few years and I am dreading it since I will not be retirement age yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy. If your PI retires, what will happen to the research? Will you be able to stay on?

      Delete
    2. I am hoping that I can move to a different lab. We will see. I am good at what I do but as I have more experience I also come more expensive than a recent graduate. We will see. Hopefully by the time it happens the economy picks up and biotech jobs are easier to come by. There is a lot of competition out there right now.

      Delete
  8. Ugh, looking for work is the WORST! I'm glad that is behind you. I find it so entirely demoralizing. Look at Hannah prance! What a sweet baby girl she is! I wish I could pet her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah loves it at the dog park and has so much fun!

      Delete
  9. Yay for delivery people being THAT MUCH on time ... and I love the photos of Hannah. I always notice prancing dogs ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how on time they were! But I guess we were the first delivery of the day, so how could they be running late?

      Delete
  10. Most mornings now, I look out the window and see frost on cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are batting about 50/50 right now. Soon enough it will be every morning. *sigh*

      Delete
  11. I looooove early delivery windows— so much time to wash! I am excited for you— that’s how much I love laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super excited to get started with laundry right away on Sunday!

      Delete
  12. Darn it, I am so envious of your new appliances! I am a sad adult now, I suspect. Sigh.
    Also, did you LOOK at next week's forecast? Looks like our lucky streak will end. Sigh, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, NO I DID NOT LOOK and I'm refusing to look now. A girl does NOT need to know these things ahead of 12 hours in advance!

      Delete