Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Advent Calendar Wishlist

Last year my advent calendar was a real disappointment, so this year I'm going to do better. Here are some ideas. I need to order it ASAP, so everyone tell me your favorite and that's what I'll go with. 

Literary Advent Calendar

A lot of the book calendars were already sold out by the time I started looking (note to self: buy advent calendar in June next year). 

Owl Crate does one that's really well-reviewed, although it's pretty pricey at $64.99 for just 12 days. 


There are a number of Etsy shops with advent calendars with 24-days, but who is to say how good the quality will be? This one is 24 days for $75.55 from The Bookish Craft Shop


Food and Drink Advent Calendars

24 Days of Tea ($38 from Uncommon Goods)


Handcrafted Caramel Advent Calendar ($40 from Uncommon Goods) - This was my frontrunner until I read some of the negative reviews. I thought the animals were super cute, but maybe there's a better candy option out there. 



Puzzle Advent Calendar

Last year Nicole had this great advent calendar with jigsaw puzzles that were dog-themed and I was positively green with envy. So what about this cat puzzle advent calendar? Fifty pieces per puzzle! I can do one every night! ($44.99 from Bronner's)


They have a dog version for the same price! Why didn't I just go to Bronner's in the first place?!

Self-Care Advent Calendar

L'Occitane Advent Calendar - 24 days of delightful travel-sized goodies. ($80)

Not to be basic or anything, but I would love a Macy's advent calendar, too. ($49.50 RIGHT NOW)



I wouldn't be mad at a Revolution calendar. ($50)



Harry Potter Advent Calendar

Harry Potter Holiday Magic ($16.99) - I'm including this because all of my advent calendars in my adult life have been HP-related and this one is reasonably priced. However, my feelings about JKR are quite complicated, so I don't know about this. 


I am doing an experiment to see if this poll widget will work. If it does work, please use it! If it doesn't, please tell me in the comments which one I should get. Also, do you have an advent calendar this year?

21 comments:

  1. It worked!
    I am all about the chocolate so I'm not much use here. Last year I had a Lindt one and it was such a burst of sugary joy at the start of each day. It made me feel like a kid again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm..it worked, but I can't see the results? Maybe I have to vote to see them? LOLOLOL at me trying new technology.

      Delete
  2. My eyes lit up at "caramel" but yeah, the reviews are discouraging.

    I got my mother the Bonne Maman one of jams, so hopefully she will have fun with that. I had made a note on my calendar after it sold out last year to look for it earlier this year, but then I saw it in World Market in...October, I think? Earlier than I would usually shop for Christmas, but I bought it anyway. One thing done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Bestest Friend the Bonne Mama one last year. I should ask her if she's still eating those jams!

      Delete
  3. I've never gotten any advent calendar. I used to make what we kids called a Christmas Calendar--we made it the day after Thanksgiving and hung it up on the door of our bedroom. Each night we'd mark off the day, getting ever closer to Christmas Eve and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tee widget does work for me too. I prefer the tea calendar I guess. I never had such a store bought calendar though. My mom always makes one for me. While I always wonder if I would enjoy the cosmetic ones I tend to feel it is more clutter than usable. So I rather have something that is more or less gone after the 24 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty good about using samples of cosmetics and have found some real gems that I then have gone on to buy many times, so I do wonder if one of those would be fun. Or, maybe as you suggest, I'd just be annoyed by having so many little things around!

      Delete
  5. I was going back and forth between Owl Crate and l'Occitane. Part of me really wants to see how you like the Owl Crate 😉 I always thought their subscription boxes looked pretty and am curious.
    My sister gave me an old style paper picture Advent calendar which is already hung up in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, maybe I should look into sourcing and old style Advent calendar and put in little treats for my husband. That would be a fun tradition to do every year.

      Delete
  6. I voted for dog puzzles because I loved mine so much, and I saved it to do again this year. I give the guys Lindt calendars every year and they love them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dirty secret is that I don't chocolate very much. Those are always less appealing to me than other sweet treats.

      Delete
  7. I have NEVER purchased any of these types of fun advent calendars. I love the idea though! I think I would love the tea one! How fun would that be to open it each day and make a nice cup of tea. Extra fun if I could pair it with a nice reading session by the fireplace with the Christmas tree on. :) Maybe I should get myself one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treat yourself! It's only been the last two years that I've done it and it makes the gloomy evenings of December so much better to have a little treat to look forward to each night.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love all the calendars... I never buy one for myself, but I am super-intrigued by the L'Occitane Calendar. I used to buy their stuff but haven't in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their stuff. I have super sensitive skin and it's one of the only lotions I've found that doesn't irritate my skin. But maybe I wouldn't like all the scents? But how will I know unless I try?

      Delete
  9. I voted for the cat puzzles! I ended up buying the bookish advent calendar I mentioned in my post earlier this month, but it's on backorder. I hope it comes in soon! I am sort of intrigued by the Harry Potter calendar but ugh, my morals. I think I may end up doing a beauty one if the bookish one doesn't come in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I still haven't really made a decision, but probably should before they're all sold out or backordered until March!

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of a puzzle calendar, so would vote for that. I don't think I'll ever get one for myself - but it's so much fun to see others' choices! Can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm procrastinating so much on this that I'm not sure when I'll order one. I definitely need to just make a decision and do it!

      Delete
  11. I love voting on fun stuff!! I want the dog one for myself. These are all fun and I wish you could do them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I can do them all if I have enough Christmases left!

      Delete