Saturday, October 14, 2023

12.14 Control - More Interviews

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the fourteenth day of the month is "Control."

***************

Yesterday was a big day. I am currently in the interview process for two jobs. One job would be fine, but I'm pretty overqualified for it and I think it would end up making me start looking for new jobs again within six months. The other job is basically perfect for my skillset and is with a good group of people, many of whom I already have an existing working relationship. After I finished my face-to-face interview yesterday (which came after already having had two virtual interviews), the lead on the search committee said she'd be checking references soon.  

I had already checked in with two of my references the week before, but I decided to just give my third reference a call to let her know that someone might be checking in and she said that someone had already called her the day before! So I think there are reference checks going around for both of those jobs which leads me to optimistically believe that MAYBE I will get a job offer (or maybe two) next week. 

(Also, because I have an inside source - my husband - I know that they were only bringing in two people for F2F interviews for the job I really want and I know that the other person dropped out of contention the day before their F2F interview, so it's possible they would restart the job search, but...odds are probably good that they'd go with me.)

But I have been disappointed before, you know?  

Came home, was immediately hugged by a certain canine and immediately had to go get the lint roller for my dress. 

I can only control what I can control. I prepared for the interviews, answered the questions the best I could, asked questions about things I didn't know, made sure my references were in alignment, and wore a kick ass dress with a kick ass scarf. 

It's supposed to be rainy and gross all weekend, so my plan is to relax this weekend and try not to leave the house. 

***************

What are your weekend plans?

32 comments:

  1. Yes I know why you don't want to get your hopes up but....

    I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE CHECKING REFERENCES UNLESS THEY'RE GOING TO OFFER YOU THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And if for some reason you get the offer for the job that you don't want before you've heard back from the job that you do want, you know it's OK to accept the first offer and then turn it down later right????????????????

    So I'm pretty freaking excited after reading this post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I think we're learning that things are a lot different in academia than they are in the corporate world. In academia, most of the time they have to interview 2-3 candidates and check their references. I've heard several times in the last year that my references have been contacted, but haven't gotten the job, so I am not super pumped up yet. I am very heartened by the fact that the other person in the job search dropped out, though. We'll see!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is exciting news, Engie. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get the job... it all sounds really promising!
    And those purple shoes.... LOVE <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the shoes at DSW many years ago and I'm so surprised about how often I wear them. They're more versatile than they appear!

      Delete
  3. Okay, first of all, those shoes. Those shoes are a delight.
    Second of all, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I, like Birchy, have never heard of anyone having a reference check without getting a job offer. I'm very excited for you! I hope you get at least one offer this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. You and Birchie are clearly not in academia! My husband has led two job searches and he had to contact references for everyone in his final three as a requirement by HR! So it happens! I can't be too excited, but I am kind of excited.

      Delete
  4. So excited for you, especially after reading Birchwood's comment!! Fingers and toes still crossed, but I'm very, very hopeful and look forward to congratulating you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next week might be the week! Woot!

      Delete
  5. I'd hire you based on the shoes alone. I am similarly afraid of getting my hopes up, and it sucks if everyone says "you'll get it for sure" and then you don't, so I'll just hope for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if I was hiring and someone walked in wearing the outfit I was wearing, I'd hire them on the spot. Too bad they asked questions about my skills and knowledge instead of my clothes.

      Delete
  6. Oh, fingers crossed for you, this does sound promising! And, as Birchy says, if the second pick offers first, TAKE IT, and then back out if your first pick comes in. They would absolutely do the same. Love the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think I'm just going to ask for time to make the decision rather than take it and back out. Both jobs are with the same employer (different departments), so I don't want to burn any bridges with people I might be working with in a different role.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. For sure! It's been a long weekend.

      Delete
  8. This sounds really, really positive for you, and I'm so glad.
    (I have lint rollers everywhere, including my car. When I was working, I had one there and had my roommate roll me off every morning, front and back. He was a dear.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea for us to have a lint roller in each car. And probably in our offices. I mean, these creatures we live with don't have any respect for our personal space!

      Delete
  9. Oh how exciting and also how irksome to have to wait for decisions to be made. I'm glad things to hear the updated.
    Weekend plans were work (yesterday) and shuttling kids to activities and cleaning (today). But the sun has come out so maybe a park in there somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's been rainy the last few days, but the sun is out today, so I'm really hoping to take the dog to the park for some fun time.

      Delete
  10. Ooo, those are great signs! My fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am appreciating all these well wishes.

      Delete
  11. Fingers crossed hard for you! It certainly sounds promising.

    My weekend plans were to get things ready for Mom to come home, and to bring her home. Done and done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad she's home. Fingers crossed she stays home longer this time!

      Delete
  12. Wishing you all the best for the job that you want!! Woot Woot!
    My weekend was full of fun and family time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for fun and family time. That is truly the purpose of weekends.

      Delete
  13. Ooh! It sounds hopeful! I"ll be keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate the thoughts.

      Delete
  14. Our weekend was busy and I'm playing catchup today...but baby steps!

    All the best and I have a good feeling about this one. And look at those gorgeous shoes! *Swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying all the compliments about the shoes. Dansko for the win!

      Delete
  15. I'm sending you all of the good vibes that you get the job you really want! I also find it odd that people check references. That is not something that happens in my industry. It is a very small industry so if you are experienced, people probably know you and suggest the company hires you. But when we are hiring junior people, we do not check references!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. In higher ed, references must be checked. I guess because it has to do with ticking all the boxes for HR/what the state requirements are?

      Delete
  16. THOSE TIGHTS AND SHOES, THOUGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I do my best!

      Delete