Thursday, December 28, 2023

Pop Sugar 2023 Reading Challenge Outcomes

As you all know, I do the Pop Sugar reading challenge every year. I write up a plan in January and get to reading! I started with two to four books for most of the prompts.  Here's how it went this year.

Past years:

*****************

1. A book you meant to read in 2022
Astrid Parker Doesn't Fail (Bright Falls #2) by Ashley Herring Blake - Good, but not as good as the first book in the Bright Falls series. 3.5/5 stars

2. A book you bought from an independent bookstore - I bought two books for myself this year and it was a book for my Kindle through Amazon and my new copy of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I think this is the first time I haven't fulfilled a prompt in all these years, but I just didn't do it. 

3. A book about a vacation
Happy Place by Emily Henry - Mediocre, forgettable romance novel. 3/5 stars

4. A book by a first-time author
Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley - DNF March
Overdue: Reckoning with the Public Library by Amanda Oliver - Marketed as a takedown of public libraries, but really just a memoir of someone who wasn't suited for her job. Disappointing. 2.5/5 stars

5. A book with mythical creatures
Dealing with Dragons (The Enchanted Forest #1) by Patricia C. Wrede - Charming book about a girl and her dragon. 4/5 stars

6. A book about a forbidden romance
Misconduct by Penelope Douglas - A high school teacher gets involved with the father of one of her students. Very mediocre romance novel. 2.5/5 stars

7. A book with "Girl" in the title
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente - DNF February 
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black - DNF February
The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey - Fine zombie book, but quite long and not as memorable as I might have liked. 3.5/5 stars

8. A celebrity memoir
For Small Creatures Such as We by Sasha Sagan - I'm going to call Sagan a celebrity and pretend I did this prompt. Lovely book that made me think about some hard questions. 4.5/5 stars

9. A book with a color in the title
Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse - Fantasy novel that was not as awesome as I wanted it to be. 3/5 stars

10. A romance with a fat lead
Spoiler Alert (Spoiler Alert #1) by Olivia Dade - Terrible romance novel. 1.5/5 stars

11. A book about or set in Hollywood
How To Fake It In Hollywood by Ava Wilder - I don't need another romance novel about how hard it is for beautiful, rich, white people. Thumbs down. 1.5/5 stars

12. A book published in spring 2023
A House with Good Bones by T. Kingfisher - Great horror mystery with lots of funny bits. Published March 28. 5/5 stars

13. A book published the year you were born (1979)
A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford - Long. Dated. 2/5 stars

14. A modern retelling of a classic
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - Interesting premise, but I found the execution boring and tiresome. Not for the likes of me. 2/5 stars

15. A book with a song lyric as its title
(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn - DNF February
I've Got You Babe by Lynnette Austin - Mediocre romance novel. I would never have read it if not for this prompt. 2/5 stars

16. A book where the main character's name is in the title
Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations #1) by B.B. Alston - A fine fantasy book for kids, but I didn't feel any strong desire to read further in the series. 4/5 stars
The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons - DNF May

17. A book with a love triangle
From Twinkle, with Love by Sandhya Menon - I did not care for this YA romance. 2.5/5 stars

18. A book that's been banned or challenged in any state in 2022
The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story by Nikole Hannah-Jones - Super well done. This should be required reading for everyone. 5/5 stars

19. A book that fulfills your favorite prompt from a past challenge
In 2021, a prompt was to read a book that won the Women's Prize for Fiction. I read a bunch of them this year. 
Property by Valerie Martin - Really interesting and powerful. 4.5/5 stars

20. A book becoming a TV series or movie in 2023
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games #0) by Suzanne Collins - Super readable, but I'm so confused by the ending. 3/5 stars

21. A book set in the decade you were born (the 1970s)
Scruples (Scruples #1) by Judith Krantz (1978) - It definitely felt like it was written in the 70s. Homophobia, violence, and sexism galore. 3/5 stars

22. A book with a queer lead
The One True Me and You by Remi K. England - Just not a good book. 2/5 stars

23. A book with a map
Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips - DNF January.
Highway of Tears: A True Story of Racism, Indifference, and the Pursuit of Justice for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Children by Jessica McDiarmid - A comprehensive look at the terrible treatment of indigenous women and children in Canada and the history of how it got this way. 4/5 stars

24. A book with a rabbit on the cover
What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher - No one does creepy better than Kingfisher. 4/5 stars

25. A book with just text on the cover
White Teeth by Zadie Smith - DNF August
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker - Interesting dystopian novel about what would happen  if the Earth's rotation slowed. 4/5 stars


26. The shortest book (by pages) on your TBR list
Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Short and powerful. 5/5 stars

27. A #BookTok recommendation
Verity by Colleen Hoover - So many thoughts about this book, but mostly my thought is that the main character is repulsive. Also, books about infidelity are remarkably difficult for me to navigate. Huge thumbs down. I like that BookTok has people reading more, but the books that are popular there are not always popular with me. 1.5/5 stars

28. A book you bought secondhand
Rayne and Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner - I took this from my neighbor's Little Free Library, read it, and then put it back. Yay for sharing book love! 3.5/5 stars

29. A book your friend recommended
O Caledonia by Elspeth Barker - Recommended to me by TJC. Atmospheric and dark. Greatly enjoyed. 4/5 stars

30. A book that's on a celebrity book-club list
Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi (Read with Jenna pick) - I liked Homegoing much more. 3.5/5 stars

31. A book about a family
Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano - A good book, but not my favorite. 3/5 stars

32. A book that comes out in the second half of 2023
Vampires of El Norte by Isabel CaƱas (August 15, 2023) - Atmospheric, but too much history and not enough vampires. 3.5/5 stars

33. A book about an athlete/sport
The Swimmers by Julie Otsaku - Brilliant writing. Maybe too much about swimming, though? The second half was wonderful. 4/5 stars

34. A historical-fiction book
Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon - Book club book in April. Meh. 3.5/5 stars

35. A book about divorce
After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid - TJR is just a comfort to read. 4/5 stars

36. A book you think your best friend would like
Seven Percent of Ro Devereux by Ellen O'Clover - Fine YA romance. 3.5/5 stars

37. A book you should have read in high school
A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter - I think I would have liked it a lot more when I was in high school. 3/5 stars

38. A book you read more than 10 years ago
Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel #1) by Connie Willis - I read this book first in April 2013 and recommended it for our January 2024 book club meeting. Not quite as good as I remember, but I still liked it. 4/5 stars

39. A book you wish you could read for the first time again
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - I loved our book club so much. 5/5 stars

40. A book by an author with the same initials as you 
Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z. by Debra Weinstein - I wasn't quite the right audience for this book. 2.5/5 stars

Advanced
41. A book written during NaNoWriMo
Legends & Lattes (Legends & Lattes #1) by Travis Baldree - A wonderful, cozy fantasy. 5/5 stars

42. A book based on a popular movie
Mirror, Mirror by Jen Calonita - A retelling of Snow White. I didn't love it, but it was an interesting twist on the story. 2.5/5 stars

43. A book that takes place entirely in one day
Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney - Creepy thriller. Made better by Poppins the Dog. 4/5 stars

44. A book that was self-published
Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War #1) by T. Kingfisher - Funny and compelling. 4/5 stars

45. A book that started out as fan fiction
The Angel of the Crows by Katherine Addison - Interesting Sherlock Holmes retelling. 3.5/5 stars

46. A book with a pet character
Georgie, All Along by Kate Clayborn - A truly wonderful romance novel with Hank the Dog having a strong role to play. 5/5 stars

The Friend by Sigrid Nunez - A gorgeous book about grief, writing, and caring for a dog. Just beautiful. 4.5/5 stars

47. A book about a holiday that's not Christmas
The Rewind by Allison Winn Scotch - Terrible book about two terrible people. New Year's Eve setting. 2/5 stars

48. A book that features two languages
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros - Beautiful writing. English and Spanish in this little gem.  5/5 stars

49. The longest book (by pages) on your TBR list 
The Running Grave (Cormoran Strike #7) by Robert Galbraith - Last year the longest book I read was a  Galbraith book in the same series. I didn't love this one. 960 pages. 3/5 stars

50. A book with alliteration in the title
Corpses, Coffins, and Crypts: A History of Burial by Penny Colman - Has some interesting tidbits, but maybe not as good other books on the subject of death. 3.5/5 stars

*****************
Stats:
49/50 prompts completed
3.44/5 average stars


The genres I read the most were romance and fantasy. 

genre type

count

average star rating

coming of age

3

3.83

contemporary fiction

6

3.58

fantasy

10

3.65

historical fiction

4

4.25

horror

4

4.13

mystery

1

3

non-fiction

6

4.08

romance

15

2.5

thriller

1

4


I read a lot of bad romance novels, yo.

*****************
The Pop Sugar 2024 reading challenge is already up, so let's see how this all turns out next year!

27 comments:

  1. 2023 was a great year for books, which just makes ATGIB even better. It wasn't the first time that I'd read it but it was THE FIRST TIME THAT I READ IT WITH A GROUP OF COOL BLOGGERS.

    My husband and I randomly ended up at our town's independent bookstore which for some reason I thought was a kids bookstore? I had no idea how big it was. We both bought books there so we've filled your quota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great! I'll just take credit for your work! Check!

      Delete
  2. 49 of 50 somewhat random prompts?! Well done, you!! I'm glad you DNF (life's too short); but White Teeth is worth a second try. Truly. Sasha Sagan counts as a celebrity--I heard her on the radio = ergo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. Some of my colleagues regularly speak on the local NPR affiliate. Are they celebrities? If so, I need to be a lot more reverent around them!

      Delete
    2. Celebrities--they're just like us :)! (No need for reverence, IMO.)

      Delete
  3. Oooooh! I am going to try this in 2024 with 2024 titles only for an extra little challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! I can't even imagine trying to do this challenge with that limitation. I find it hard when I just try to use women authors. Good luck with that!

      Delete
  4. I went back and read your posts on the Sagan book and the V. Martin book. I almost asked for the Sagan book for Christmas, but I wasn't too sure about it. Now I think I'll get them both for myself (even though you and I disagree heartily on Hamnet).

    It's been a long time since I have been able to read again--I go in spurts, sadly--but I feel as if I can start up again since I have nothing stressful on the horizon as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you'll like both of those books. I still think about them a lot and that's always a sign of a good book in my mind! You know what? I also think about that chapter in Hamnet with the flea carrying the plague around all the time. So, even though I didn't love that book, it has lasted the test of time.

      Delete
  5. I just made the decision yesterday to go with the Pop Sugar 2024 Challenge over a few others I had researched and somehow I feel like this post was the sign that I made the right choice, haha! Congrats on getting almost all of the prompts done - it takes so much organization, it seems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know how much organization it takes beyond considering the prompts when you're reading books, but I like to think about books, so I maybe take it a bit too far! I hope you update on the blog if you do the PS24 challenge.

      Delete
    2. Updating the blog is my plan! I'm super inspired by you (and so many's) consistency in talking about your reads and workouts and adventures) and think I have a better chance of it this year vs. the past few. Definitely a silver lining!

      Delete
    3. Yay! I can't wait to read all your reviews. I love hearing how other people approach these prompts.

      Delete
  6. Bad romance novels somehow make me angry- I guess that's why I rarely read romance. You did amazing with this challenge, and it's fun to read about it. And you do this with only women authors??? That takes a lot of planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read four male authors for this challenge, so not entirely, but I tried really hard to read a woman in the category if it made sense. It did make a tiny bit harder, but it's definitely worth it to me!

      I sort of take bad romance novels for granted. Like, yeah, most of them are bad and that's what makes the good ones so glorious.

      Delete
  7. Love seeing this break down! What an eclectic and interesting mix. I have read seven of these books. Of those, I liked Happy Place more than you did (slightly) and Daisy Darker less than you did. I am still so delighted that you enjoyed The Friend. One of my all time favorite books for sure.

    I read Scruples in high school... I wonder if it would be fun to revisit it or if the experience of reading it with my adult 2024 brain would ruin it for me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever know someone is dealing with a chronically/terminally ill pet, I'm going to send them Woodrow on the Bench and The Friend. Such lovely, gentle books to remind pet friends that they're doing the best they can. Scruples was a very tough read for me - the homophobia, in particular, was a big yikes.

      Delete
  8. I've read several of these but my opinion was upside-down to yours on most so maybe we need to compare book taste less! Oh well, we'll always have A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I keep seeing that Legends and Lattes book in bookstore and finding the cover intriguing - sounds fun. I also need to take a look at my Book Bingo card and see if I covered it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legends & Lattes is really as good a book as everyone says. I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but I did find the whole thing delightful!

      Delete
  9. These challenges aren't for me, but I do enjoy reading about yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine these challenges being very frustrating for some people. I like that it forces me to be a bit more intentional about my reading, though.

      Delete
  10. I feel like there are a lot of bad romance novels out there because there are just soooo many romance novels out there. The genre is kind of enormous and also very subjective. It's a statistical thing, you know?
    I'm always impressed by how much you manage to read, and in a thoughtful way too. You are my reading hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly right about so many romance novels. And it's hard to tell which ones will or won't resonate with you just based on what other people say. Winnowing it down to precisely the ones you will love is SO HARD. Even lists of "best romances" tend to have some real terrible stuff in them!

      Delete
  11. I am such a "read what I feel like reading" person that I could NEVER do one of these. I stand in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started doing it because literally all I was reading was romance novels and JD Robb books. I feel like this really pushes me outside of my comfort zone and I've discovered some great books this way. I think for people who already read broadly, this type of thing isn't necessary. Now it's just habit and I look forward to creating the list every year!

      Delete
  12. I always love reading these posts from you! I want to do their reading challenge but most of the 2024 prompts just don't excite me, so I think I'm going to pass. But I can't wait to see what books you'll read in 2024 for this reading challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not in love with all the prompts for this year, but I love that this makes me read books I normally wouldn't love. I've found some real gems this way.

      Delete