Monday, February 20, 2023

Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1) by Patricia C. Wrede

 

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede is the first entry in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles quartet. 

I highlighted just one sentence from the book and it was the first sentence. It's just such a great first sentence and it set the tone for the rest of the book.

Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. (page 1)

I think you should know already if you're going to like this book!

Cimorene is just not a fashionable princess. She wants to learn swordplay, Latin, and how to bake bread. So she runs off to live with a dragon and help the dragon sort her treasure. 

It's charming, sweet, and I love that the main character is a strong girl and her dragon is also female. It was unexpectedly tender, with Cimorene making friends with another princess, saving a sort of helpless prince, and saving the day. It was also great to see how competent Cimorene was in both problem-solving and household chores. 

If you know a young person who likes to read adventure books, this might be just the ticket.

4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. oooh! I'm putting this on the list for my 11 year old. and maybe for me. I love that cover too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your daughter will like it - it definitely turns around the trope of the prince saving the princess!

      Delete