Sunday, February 19, 2023

4.19 Library - February Book Loans

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the nineteenth day of the month is "Library." I've decided I'm going to just tell you what are on my library book shelves each month.

*****************

I only have five physical books checked out right now and one of those is a cookbook and one is a super short novella, so I'm starting to get a bit antsy and it's quite possible that I'm going to go on a spree of ordering physical books. I mean, what if we go on lockdown again and I only have four books to read?! 


Paper books checked out:
Heir to Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters #4) by Juliet Marillier
The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton
How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook Collection by America's Test Kitchen
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
Into the Riverlands (The Singing Hills Cycle #3) by Nghi Vo

Spanish books checked out (paper books):
Las mujeres mueven montaƱas by Pepita Sandwich
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Ebooks checked out:
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1) by Patricia C. Wrede - It's due in two days and I haven't started it, so I don't know if I'll get to it
The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story edited by Nikole Hannah-Jones
From Twinkle, with Love by Sandhya Menon

Audiobooks checked out:
This Is Ear Hustle: Unflinching Stories of Everyday Prison Life by Nigel Poor and Earlonne Woods




Paper books on hold:
Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels (shipped)
Black Sun Rising (The Coldfire Trilogy #1) by C.S. Friedman (1 of 1)
Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver (91 of 143) - This is our book club book. I have serious doubts about whether I'll get it before our next meeting.
Georgie, All Along by Kate Clayborn (3 of 21)
Happy Place by Emily Henry (26 of 34)

Ebooks on hold:
The Friend by Sigrid Nunez (six weeks)
Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley (six weeks)
The Heir Affair (Royal We #2) by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (six weeks)
Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels #6) by Lisa Kleypas (eight weeks)
In a New York Minute by Kate Spencer (eighteen weeks)
Misconduct by Penelope Douglas (twenty weeks)
How to Fake It In Hollywood by Ava Wilder (twenty-one weeks)
The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons (twenty-three weeks)
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (several months)


Have you read any of these books? What books have you read recently that you recommend I check out to avoid only have a few physical books?

18 comments:

  1. What an wide range of books you like to read. I haven't read any of those but I want to tackle the 1619 Project just to see what all the fuss is about. Right now I've reading "Everyone Brave is Forgiven" and Someone Else's Shoes".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1619 Project is super interesting. It's an edited volume and each chapter is written by someone else, so it's a bit variable chapter by chapter, but it's fascinating and I'm learning a lot.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious about Nightcrawling. So far I've heard one rave and one dis, so I'm going to let you vet it for me.

    The last book that I was obsessed with was Loving Frank, and I'm currently reading Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone - it's off to a strong start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard good things about Nightcrawling, but I have my reservations, so we shall see how it shakes out. Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone has such a great title - I'll be interested to know if it lives up to its name.

      Delete
  3. I love America's Test Kitchen cookbooks. Sometimes I find that they can be a little fussy, but the recipes that work I've found really work for me.
    Demon Copperhead is one of those books that I'm really intrigued by, but I'm the kind of person that needs to read the inspiration first and I don't think I've read David Copperfield. Or maybe I have? I had a Dickens phase about ten years ago. I do remember reading a graphic novel version of it when I was in elementary school.
    I'm reading Mercy Street right now. It's not a happy book. Jury is out. It feels like it is on the brink of being a powerful read, but not quite there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to just read a summary of David Copperfield before I dive into Demon Copperhead because I am definitely NOT a Dickens girl. Hopefully that will be all the background I need. I'll let you know.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of these! I just finished Central Places by Delia Cai and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Central Places sounds like a hard book to read. I'm not sure I'm up for it right now.

      Delete
  5. I read the short story 'The Coldest Girl in Cold Town' and it was excellent - not sure if I'll read the book, I have trouble imagining it being better longer. I loved Eleanor and Park (in English). We did Fugitive Pieces years ago in book club - it was beautifully written, almost too much so, the story was a little overwhelmed by the weight of the prose for me, and some others in my book club. The Song of Achilles was one of my favourite reads of last year, recommended by my daughter. Oh, Nightcrawling - I've been a little bemused every time I read the synopsis and 'nightcrawling' is mentioned as something the main character turns to, as if it's something that everyone knows. I do not know what nightcrawling is. I'm about to Google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I loved Eleanor and Park in English, too, so that's why I grabbed it. I think it's too advanced for my Spanish, though. I'm a bit beyond picture books, but not yet to YA-level in Spanish and our library's collection of early chapter books in Spanish seems to be non-existent, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

      I have not historically been a Madeline Miller fan (Circe left me cold), so I've been putting off reading it forever. I guess if Libby has its way, I'll be able to put it off for several more months!

      Delete
  6. I feel as though I probably read Dealing with Dragons a long time ago, but I don't remember it--though I'm very fond of some of Wrede's other books. The Raven Ring is my favorite (and it says it's book five of the Lyra novels, but you absolutely don't have to have read the others to read it), and I'm also fond of the duo Magician's Ward and Mairelon the Magician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did manage to read it over the weekend (I put my Kindle on airplane mode to keep the library from snatching it back) and really enjoyed it. Wrede seems like a perfect author for a budding feminist!

      Delete
  7. I found A Paper Palace and The Dictionary of Lost Words at the library last week and loved both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the library. I honestly feel like that should really be the name of this blog.

      Delete
  8. I hope you like the ATK GF cookbook! It's been great for me. Not everything turns out awesome, but most of what we've made has turned out great. My mom has used the pie recipe and it was so good. But I would NEVER go to the trouble of making a GF pie! But she loves making pies so it was a fun experiment for her. I mostly make the cookie recipes since our kids prefer cookies to all other desserts!

    I only check out ebooks unless I can't get the ebook version of a book club book in time. Then I will read a physical book. But I much prefer ebooks so I use my holds + my husbands holds so I have 30 books on hold at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous that you can have that many ebook holds at once. I am limited to 10 and my husband uses his own, darn him. I want more ebook holds!!!

      Delete
  9. I really, really loved Code Name Helene, which I just finished and reviewed on my blog. But it's WWII fiction and I know a lot of us are burned out on that. But Helene was such a badass woman and it was amazing to read about her life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to keep this book in mind for when we're trying to figure out a book club book for next month!

      Delete