Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Legends & Lattes (Legends & Lattes #1) by Travis Baldree

Last year everyone was talking about Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree as an example of cozy fantasy in which there's a fantasy setting and fantasy characters, but it's all low-stakes and there's no swordplay or battle scenes. I was interested, but last year I was trying to limit the number of male authors I read, so I added it to my TBR.  

This is what I want fantasy to be. 

Viv is an orc who has hung up her battle sword to start a coffee shop in the city of Thune. Along the way, she meets new friends, an amazing direcat, and learns what cardamom is. There's a threat to the coffeeshop, the threat is dealt with, a secret is revealed, and somehow it still seems like this book is here to mostly feel like it's giving you a hug.

I can't figure out how to link to Goodreads reviews anymore since their redesign, so here's a screenshot of a review that I can't disagree with, but I also don't think these criticisms bother me at all.


It IS sort of predictable and low-stakes. But that's what's great about it. There are foreign objects flying over United States airspace, shootings at major universities, and people abusing dogs out there. I don't have time for serious international politics in my leisure reading all the time and this book is a perfect diversion.

I don't know what Diner Dash is, but this book is exactly as Reagan described, so maybe I should play it?

I don't know, my friends. It's a perfect book for when you need something light and fluffy. Warning: you'll definitely want a coffee while reading.

5/5 stars

 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that I don't want to be too stressed out while reading. On the other hand, I do like a compelling plot. On the OTHER hand, i'm kind of intrigued because so many people liked this book, including you. 5 stars is an impressive rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't explain its appeal, but it's just a lovely read.

      Delete