Wednesday, August 23, 2023

The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka

I read The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka to fulfill the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge prompt to read a book about an athlete/sport prompt. 

This book is beautiful. It starts with a story about a pool - people who swim there, what the routines are, and how important it is to the athletes who use it. It's an interesting first-person POV using "we" and "us" as the pronouns, as if the group was writing. For example:

It is an illusion, of course, that the pool is ours and ours alone. We know that there are other users whose attachment to our waters is equally fierce. (page 26). 

There are parts of it where Otsuka just lists things in a way that's reminiscent of The Things They Carried. The lists were detailed and riveting and I just wanted it to go on and on.

In our real lives, on dry land, we are more preoccupied than usual. We misplace our keys. We forget to pay our bills. We can't remember our passwords. We neglect to comb our hair. We are late to the office. We can't concentrate on our work. In the middle of conversation, we sometimes stand up and wander off. I have to check my stocks. Our performance reviews suffer. Our likeability ratings decline. Our friends begin to avoid us. (61-62)

But the pool has to close and then we follow Alice, one of the swimmers, as she is moved to a memory care residence. The end of the book is a moving meditation about end of life, a relationship between a mother and a daughter, memory and sorrow, written in lyrical, beautiful prose. 

It's not a perfect book. There's far too much emphasis on swimming (LOL). But it's definitely a book worth reading and at a slim 176 pages, it won't be a huge time investment to read something so powerful. 4/5 stars


Line of note:

August begins like a slow, shattering dream. Heat rises up from the dusty sidewalks. Lawns bake. Trees droop. The flowers have all lost their smell. A lone Good Humor truck, illegally double-parked near the entrance to the school playground, drones its slow mechanical song. (page 66)

I read this in the beginning of August and it just felt so right. 

Things I looked up:

PSEN4b gene (page 108) - There are genes associated with early onset Alzheimer disease, like PSEN1 and PSEN 2, but this one seems to be fictional. 

Ivalo mutation (page 123) - Also fictional. I was really confused until I read this interview with the author where she admits she just made up a lot of the science. 

Hat mentions:

If you find yourself lying wide awake at three in the morning, staring up at the thing strip of light on the ceiling (What did I do wrong?), you may want to "order in" from our "sleep menu," which offers a broad array of products designed to usher in a state of optimal rest (all items can be billed "a la caret" to your monthly invoice): vibrating eye masks, slow-wave headbands, thermo-sensitive "cool" hats, weighted fleece blankets guaranteed to create a swaddling sensation reminiscent of being in your first and very best bed, the womb. (page 118)

14 comments:

  1. I had mixed emotions about this book. I really liked the first half, but then the overuse of some of her writing techniques started to get to me. Also, I felt like I didn't have the energy to read into all the imagery, but that was a huge part of the book, so I think I almost need to read it again?
    I was grumpy there was an Alice with memory loss. THIS IS THE THIRD BOOK WITH AN ALICE WITH DEMENTIA OR AMNESIA. There are other names out there, people!! Sorry, but it made my very angsty. I think I also gave it a 4/5 though, because it is beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I liked the second half way more because I wasn't really invested in the swimming pool or the swimming, but I liked the relationship between Alice and her daughter. There are a LOT of books with Alices and memory issues, now that you point it out. I guess that didn't distract from my enjoyment of this lovely little book.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed/appreciated this book as well. My FIL passed away from early onset Alzheimer's so that brought extra meaning to the book for me. That is odd that the author made up a lot of the science... why? I guess I had wrongfully assumed any science references weren't fictional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I think the science was made up because she wanted it to sound plausible, but she didn't want anyone to check her if she got an actual fact wrong. Like PSEN1 genes exist, but she didn't want to use that in case she got a tiny bit of it wrong, so she used that as a basis for the fictional PSEN4 gene. I'm not sure that's the move I would have made and I wonder if people who know more about this field found it distracting

      Delete
    2. Oh that does make sense! I did not pick up on the fact that anything was made up so it felt very real. I probably kind of breezed past the genetic aspect. Phil and I have talked about whether he'd want to find out if he had a gene that would indicate whether or not he'd have Alzheimer's and his answer is no as he wouldn't want the diagnosis hanging over him. His dad's illness was so very awful and sad and completely changed the person he was - he became combative at times. It's such an awful disease. :( I wasn't able to meet him since his disease had progressed too far by the time I met Phil. It would have been too confusing for him.

      Delete
    3. Dementia and Alzheimer's are so hard. They really do change a person's character and it's terrible. I thought this book did a nice job with grappling with the difficulty of it without getting too dark.

      Delete
  3. This was a gem of a read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. I was taken by surprise by the turn in the middle, but I enjoyed it a lot.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know this was a book. I have the movie on my watchlist at Netflix but we never felt like going for it. Maybe one of those days we will. For some reason i think I would prefer the movie over the book. That rarely happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meanwhile, I didn't even know it was a show on Netflix! Crazy stuff. I might check it out because I can't imagine how they are possibly going to translate the tone of the book into film.

      Delete
    2. I don't think The Swimmers movie is based on this book - that one is about two Syrian sisters who are trying to compete at the Olympics. This book is... not that, ha.

      Delete
    3. Oh, lol. That makes more sense, Stephany. So much of this book is internal, I had no idea who they would adapt it!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this book - I listened to it on audio and the lyrical nature of the writing came across so well through that medium. I also found the second half much more compelling than the first, although incredibly sad, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet this was a lovely audiobook! I feel silly that I didn't listen to it.

      Delete