Friday, December 29, 2023

Lost in the Moment and Found (Wayward Children #8) by Seanan McGuire

 Wayward Children series



Lost in the Moment and Found is the eighth book in the Seanan McGuire series The Wayward Children. I listened to this on audiobook and I'm going to have to have a serious discussion about whether or not that was the right choice for me. While each book in this series is technically a standalone book, I think you'd miss out on a lot if you didn't read all of them.

In this book, we find ourselves with Antsy, real name Antoinette, but who calls a seven-year-old girl Antoinette anyway? Her father died unexpectedly and when Antsy runs away from home after her stepfather starts behaving inappropriately and finds herself in a shop where the lost things go. But Antsy's safety and security in the shop comes at a price. 

Look, this book is SO SAD. I almost couldn't get through the first quarter with the stepfather stuff and then just when you think Antsy's going to be okay, she's obviously NOT. As with most of the books in this series, this is unbearably sad and if you want to know what happened, I ended up sobbing while on a morning walk with Hannah while I listened to the ending because, look, child abuse has long-lasting impacts that can never be undone. 

Do I recommend this book? Yes. Do I recommend it to everyone? Most definitely not. Know your own limitations, my friends. 4.5/5 stars

Lines of note:
She loved thrift stores. They were like scavenger hunts every single time you went there. (timestamp 1:28:33)
This definitely made me think about Elisabeth, especially when Antsy then reminisced about good times she'd had at thrift stores with her mom. 

She shuddered, as much out of shared sorrow for a girl she'd never known as from the shame of realizing how much she'd allowed to fade away into the misty halls of memory. (timestamp 3:54:41)
Do you feel shame for forgetting things? I guess I don't?

The great tale of her being shall be extended no more. She is gone to the library where all of us must one day be returned and she will pay no overdue fines on her soul. (timestamp 4:15:55)
She will pay no overdue fines on her soul! I found this entire passage comforting. 
 
She was wearing more colors than Antsy knew could be worn at once, like she had looked at a rainbow once and thought oh, much too subtle. (timestamp 4:51:51)
There were not a lot of humorous moments in this book, but this made me chuckle, especially with the intonation used by the narrator. This moment is worth listening to all by itself. 

Hat mentions (why hats?): 
Usually accompanied by hat-wearing magpies who swooped over to chatter excitedly with Hudson. (timestamp 3:11:28)

12 comments:

  1. I love everything you've posted about this book, but don't think I have the capacity to handle some of these themes right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hard to read, but so well done. Maybe it's a book for a different season in your life.

      Delete
  2. Nooooo... I don't think I could handle it. I hate books about kids that are sad like this! It does sound good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seanan McGuire is a solid author. I can't say enough good things about her.

      Delete
  3. Oh geez, Engie. This sounds like a really difficult read. I also have a weirdly visceral reaction against naming a character Antsy. I mean, I guess it could be realistic... but a) it's such a negative word when applied to a human and b) it seems designed to evoke Feelings about the character and c) it also somehow feels too cutesy for a book with such serious subject matter? I could see Ant as a nickname, but Antsy? Did it work for you? (Why am I ranting about the nickname of a book character in a novel I've never read???? It's that kind of morning, I guess.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, there's a whole bit about how Antsy does describe her - she's always on the go - so the name seemed FINE in context. And I don't see it as a negative word, but just a word that describes an excess of energy. Also, as Antsy grew up, it seemed hard to reconcile the character we knew with the name Antoinette, you know?

      Delete
  4. Definitely doesn't sound like a good choice for me to read, thank you! I do love the line "like she had looked at a rainbow once and thought oh, much too subtle"--I have a friend like that, she loves color and she makes it work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The narration of that line was so perfect, too. It was great.

      Delete
  5. Wait a sec. NaBloPMo is over and you actually do post daily? Wow.

    This book sounds good but tough. I don't think I can handle a book that makes me cry. I am reading The Covenant of Water right now and parts of it are so upsetting and gut wrenching. I think I need something a little lighter for my next read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie, NO, I normally do not post daily. But one of my quarterly goals was to post every day and the quarter isn't over yet and I can't just let it go. I have an editorial calendar set up for January that does NOT include daily posts!

      Delete
  6. I hav enever heard of this series. But I do like sad books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are SO GOOD. But sad. I'm still sad thinking about poor Antsy and the kids just like her.

      Delete