Thursday, February 16, 2023

4.16 Instruction - Overdue: Reckoning with the Public Library by Amanda Oliver

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the sixteenth day of the month is "Instruction."

*****************


Immediately after graduating from college, I took a job as a domestic violence advocate for a small city in southern Michigan. The job required me to contact domestic violence victims after they had contact with police, liaise with community members who worked with domestic violence victims, run a 24-hour hotline, and do a lot of advocacy in the courthouse and hospital. I worked closely with the domestic violence shelter, police officers, and local prosecutors. I did this job, an important and worthwhile job, and I was burnt out after six months. I soon got my acceptance to grad school, and that was the end of that job. 

But you won't hear me talking about how the system was responsible for my burnout. Of course, the legal system is terrible. Of course, sheltering victims requires them to leave their jobs and take their kids out of their schools. Of course, orders for protection are just pieces of paper and won't stop a stalking perpetrator from harming their victim. Of course, making cold calls was a nightmare. Of course, relying on grant funding meant that there was never enough to help everyone. Of course, going to the hospital for a rape kit was even more traumatizing for the victim. Of course, there was nothing I could do to help that woman who was being stalked by her ex-husband. But the world isn't perfect, everyone was doing their best, even as it wasn't perfect, and it turns out that I just wasn't suited for that job. 


Overdue: Reckoning with the Public Library by Amanda Oliver was marketed as an indictment of the public library system in the US. Oliver served as a public librarian in a challenging branch in Washington, DC for nine months and then had the gall to write a memoir about her time there basically suggesting that the public library is to blame for all evils of modern society. 

The book is divided into three parts: one about the history of the public library, one about Oliver's own experiences working at a public library, and one about absolutely nothing related to the library.  The first part of the book is super interesting. There's a lot about how the public library came to be and how it was pretty exclusionary at first. You can see how the roots of the public library system have led to systematic inequities in access and services. The second part of the book is all about how Oliver did not have the right temperament to work in a library at all and she has such a white savior complex that I could not stop myself from grinding my teeth as I read it. The last part of the book falls off the rails entirely, with discussion about cancel culture and link rot on the internet and I honestly have no idea what it has to do with anything. 

Oliver's main thesis is that the public library was created in inequity and continues to exacerbate it. It's hard to find picture books that represent the non-white communities where some branches are located. Staff aren't multilingual. Staff aren't trained in de-escalation techniques for when mentally ill folks have violent outbursts. Libraries, particularly areas in poor areas, are frequently supposed to provide a safe space for all people, but aren't given proper resources to deal with the needs of people who are unhoused, mentally ill, or addicted.

I don't actually think Oliver is wrong about anything she says. People act like public libraries are a magic bullet to alleviate poverty and provide programming of all sorts, but obviously libraries can't replace affordable housing, access to mental health care, and still be able to help people send a fax. But I also don't think these facts are as earthshattering as Oliver seems to think they are. If you had asked me about problems public libraries face in today's society, I would probably not have listed that they are inherently racist, but would have focused on how they have become day shelters for people without homes, safe places for people of all sorts, including addicts, to spend time, and that librarians have no training in how to deal with everything that they have to deal with because all other social services in this country area  disaster. I didn't need a book to tell me that. 

But I wanted this book to acknowledge that libraries still provide an important service. They provide free internet access to people in need, valuable information about taxes and citizenship, rentals of electronic equipment, games, tools, and tons of other items, including books, a safe place to go in public without having to spend money, story time, rental spaces, places for clubs to meet, genealogy information, help with job searches, and so many other things. This book could have been a love letter to all that libraries do even when faced with limited funding and resources, but instead it focused on how her short experience led her to suggest that libraries are failing. And that's wrong.

Sure, maybe there are branches that could do better at making sure their catalog is more reflective of the community it services. Maybe there are branches that should have sharps disposals in their restrooms for the safety of everyone. Maybe there are places where librarians should get more training in dealing with people who are mentally ill or otherwise unstable. Maybe they should get trained to use Narcan. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

Or maybe we should let libraries focus on literacy and the love of immersive reading and research and instruction and realize that they should not be solely responsible for every single social service in this country.

So, if you do read this book, read the first few chapters and just let the rest of it go. As someone with relatively little knowledge of the history of public libraries, that's where I found the most useful information in the book. 2.5/5 stars

Passages of note:
It is common for libraries to be patronized by marginalized and vulnerable groups, whether they are in rural, suburban, or city settings, for a wide variety of reasons, including free access to a temperature-controlled environment, clean drinking water, and Wi-Fi, and computers- because, of course, all public libraries are shared spaces. They do not exclude anyone, including people suffering from addiction, trauma, mental health struggles, and other internal, and often externalized, struggles. (page 7)

Yep. 

As with most institutions in the United States, libraries were founded and funded by predominantly White people for predominantly White people. The foundational, and still widely accepted, belief that libraries are freedom-granting institutions for all effectively denies and erases the experiences of hundreds of thousands of Americans across centuries. (page 28)

I found this section of the book the most enlightening. Andrew Carnegie gave over $60 million of his wealth to fund a system of nearly 1700 public libraries across this country between 1883 and 1929 (page 19), but only twelve were segregated "Colored Carnegie Libraries" (page 21). From the start, libraries that served non-white communities were smaller, with few books and less funding. 

Most of the regular patrons at Northwest One were unhoused, and many of them were also struggling with addiction, their mental health, or a broad range of symptoms from experienced trauma. Often, they were struggling with a combination of all these things, as the percentages of people experiencing houselessness also have much higher propensities for psychotic illness, personality disorders, major depression, and alcohol and drug dependence. I saw this reflected clearly at Northwest One. And although I started each day with a drive to help, there were things I simply could not fix. Things no librarian can. (page 86)

And, honestly, no librarian should. While Oliver does talk about the dismantling of mental health institutions in the 1980s, the rise in stigma against addiction with the War on Drugs, and closing of homeless shelters, she doesn't really acknowledge the role they play in day-to-day operations at many libraries. The fault is not with the libraries, it is the lack of a social safety net.

Even with this basic understanding of, and patience for, trauma-impacted behavior, the reality was that I felt unsafe at the library every day. I was constantly mentally prepared for emergencies or crises or verbal assaults that were never really all that predictable. Every person who worked at Northwest One was experiencing some level of this same hypervigilance we witnessed in so many of our patrons. (page 103)

I do have a lot of sympathy for Oliver in that her working conditions were so unsafe. 

In order to make Northwest One feel "safe," to be able to keep it open and operating, the library had relied on a police presence to most quickly "fix" it. And in many real ways, it did change some of the more frightening or unsafe aspects of the library for employees and patrons. Many regular patrons at the branch also wanted fewer violent incidents, fewer arguments, and more quiet. But hiring officers also did very little, if not nothing, to address the systemic issues in the neighborhood and few, if any, of the pressing individual issues of the patrons who were struggling the most.  (page 113)

And I do feel like the police presence is probably discouraging library use for some of the patrons who most need it, as well. 

I do not foresee any type of future where libraries are not relevant, necessary, and cherished. To the patrons who use them, to the writers and lawyers and activists and politicians who thank them in speeches and tweets and interviews, to the caregivers who takes their child to story time, to the people who stop and sip the cool library water fountain like a sacred routine, to the journalists who after every crises evoke their society-saving abilities. To most Americans. And yes, libraries will continue to be physical structures that house books and provide free access to the Internet and answers and so much more. Absolutely.

The larger question, the one I am most interested in now, is whether libraries and librarians should continue to carry so much of the weight of emergencies and crises.  (page 147-148)

I think we all know that the answer is no. 

19 comments:

  1. This is fascinating. My little brother lives in New Jersey and visits a library branch that is locked with buzzed-in entry, which seems so very counter to all that a library is/should be. But I say that as a middle class white lady who feels welcome in all public spaces and most especially libraries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egads! I've never been to a library with a buzzed-in entry. How dispiriting for the librarians and the patrons.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that book sounds heavy! I use the library a lot, of course I don't go in as much now that there are ebooks, but I know that when I do go in, I see a lot of people getting much from them still. Like you said, free wifi, a place to get out of the cold, drinking water and toilets, job searches, help with language and legal issues etc...the list is endless. I hope that they are never obsolete, although I do wonder with paper books getting less popular, how they will morph over the years. I think with your star rating, I probably will not read this book, or maybe I will just read the first third, which actually sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the section on the history of public libraries was new to me. I didn't know about how indebted we all are to Carnegie, for instance.

      It's interesting because she does address the physical book versus ebook debate and honestly, more people still read paper books than read ebooks, so I don't see physical books going anywhere anytime soon. Also, just like with other recorded media (45s, cassette tapes, CDs. DVDs, Bluray), file types change and degrade, but paper books can last longer. Obviously, paper will degrade, too, but Amazon can't just change its mind about file type and take away all your paper books!

      Delete
  3. Substitute "public schools" for libraries in this review, and you have my feelings exactly when people bash American education. Public schools, like libraries, are asked to to so much more than just provide an education. Libraries used to be a place to just check out books, period. Now, both schools and libraries are doing some incredibly heavy lifting, all while being scantily funded by taxpayers and the government. Both are social service clearinghouses that are a target for blame and criticism, especially the public schools. Bless the librarians everywhere today; they are wearing many, many hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach it! It's exactly the same argument about public schools and public libraries! They should be focused on education/teaching and literacy/providing materials, NOT every other social service you can think of it. It's LOVELY when libraries or schools can provide other enrichment, but it shouldn't be how we judge them.

      Delete
  4. Wow, thanks for reading this book so that I don't have to. Yes I've seen some unpleasant things go down in libraries, but that doesn't offset the services they provide. Team Library all the way, and if the author wants to come up with a plan to fix poverty in the US so that the libraries don't get the fallout, I'm all ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I generally go to really nice, well-maintained libraries, I've also seen some unpleasant things in libraries, but guess what? It made me even more aware of how important libraries are! The author was well-intentioned, I think, but really irritated me.

      Delete
  5. I got to the paragraph beneath the image and literally rubbed my hands together because I could feel a rant coming and I LOVED IT. What a great review of this book, and catalog of its faults and misconceptions. It is so easy to castigate a system for its inadequacies… and, as you point out, inadequacies and failures abound, probably in ALL systems. But to overlook all the wonderful things it does is dispiriting and irresponsible. I feel like there is such a push towards perfection, as if a thing shouldn’t exist unless it does ALL THE THINGS. But that’s impossible. Doesn’t mean we can’t keep striving for better, of course -- we should keep demanding better. But imperfect does not cancel all the good. Anyway, I loved this review and will be skipping the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should start labeling posts "Rant Incoming" when I'm about to go off, I guess. I didn't realize that I was so predictable.

      I guess I didn't really go into this book with an open mind since I'm such a fan of public libraries. HOWEVER, I was willing to really learn more and was just so disappointed that she didn't acknowledge that perhaps it was HER who wasn't suited for library work rather than libraries are just broken. *Sigh* Sure, libraries could be improved, but they do such good work! Yes, I think skipping this book is a good idea.

      Delete
  6. Wow, this book sounds pretty stupid. Of course libraries were segregrated in the early days- that's because our country has a terrible, horrible history of racism! What in the world does that have to do with libraries??? I LOVE my library! When my kids were little we used to go to storytimes there all the time, and also just go to hang out, read, and do puzzles when I couldn't think of anything else to do with them. I used to think "I can't believe this is all free???!!!" And I still think that every time I go to check out books- I can't believe it's free. Why would you focus on the things the library can't do, as opposed to all the great things it does do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think libraries are crucial for parents of young children. They just provide so many good programs and services! You'll never hear me say anything bad about a library.

      Delete
  7. How does someone do all the research necessary for a project like this and then totally miss the point? You're so right about how "The fault is not with the libraries, it is the lack of a social safety net." Thanks for this enlightening post. (BTW, Deep in Babel now and really enjoying it, so thanks are due there as well. 🙂)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you're reading Babel. It's just such a great book!

      Delete
  8. Oof, thanks for reading this so I don't have to. Libraries, as amazing as they are, can not make up for all the things that are lacking our society. I am very very very passionate about the library system. I would love to be on the board of the library some day when my kids are older. For now, I am a huge patron. I check out hundreds of books each year and we spend an hour there almost every weekend.

    I think the comment about non-white representation in books is more a publishing problem and not a library problem. I have to imagine the DC library she worked in wasn't exclusively focusing on buying books with non-white people. That issue is why there are groups like "we need diverse books" and things like that. I feel like my library has what is available in terms of diverse books, but sadly, there are far more books with white, heteronormative characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the issue is in publishing, but maybe not exactly what you're thinking. The argument the author makes (and I honestly don't know enough to know if she's right or not) is that there may be picture books with non-white characters on the shelves, but they're usually not books about daily/celebratory life, but about "issues" like divorce, death, other traumas. So the reason "The Snowy Day" and the like are so popular is because it's just about a regular day, but there aren't a lot of books like that. You and Elisabeth would know a lot better than me if this is actually true about picture books!

      I've been getting picture books in Spanish to practice my language skills and I've found that most of the bilingual books are about animals or feature Latino/a characters with brown skin, so there is sort of a lack of representation of darker skinned Spanish speakers, at least on the shelves at my library.

      That being said, I bet if I suggested to a librarian a particular book to fill that gap, my librarians would be HAPPY TO HELP. They can't be expected to know everything about their collection and the gaps in their collection if no one tells them!

      Delete
  9. Oh FFS, so glad she felt the need to write a book including things that are either screamingly obvious or outright offensive. This falls into something I believe which is something like "don't blame people (or institutions) for failing when their failure is ensured by the paradigm they are caught in". Libraries at their best are free, welcoming, accessible spaces - they're not magic. I just read a comment on another post from a librarian who said there was a sign she loved in her library that said "In order to be here you must be, sober, awake, and not bothering anyone". Not to be a Pollyanna, but could that not just say 'not bothering anyone'? Although of course I acknowledge that not feeling safe in your place of work is not acceptable either. I'm just surprised that she felt like she could write a book that would clarify such an impenetrable issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think it would be fair to call out libraries as an institution if they were failing IN THEIR MISSION. But libraries have books. And newspapers. And computers. And they're NOT failing!!

      I see why they want sober folks in libraries since people who are under the influence can be erratic. I also see why they want people to be awake because it's sometimes hard to tell if someone is just sleeping or they're sick (or worse). But I also take your point that if there's a drunk person sleeping it off in the library because they're unhoused, isn't that a better, safer place for them to be than on the street? I do think modern librarians face very difficult situations re: safety of themselves and others, but this book was maybe not the right expose for that conversation.

      Delete
  10. Wow, I am appalled by this book! How does this author fail to miss the point of libraries so hard? Also, working in a library for 9 months and writing a memoir (ish) about it? Come on! I would much, much rather read a book like this from someone who has been in the field for much longer and has more insight into working in a library.

    I think it would have been better if the author talked about the history of libraries and how the library has evolved to how it is used today - it seemed like she didn't really know what she wanted to talk about. Libraries? Society? Cancel culture? A memoir? Blah.

    ReplyDelete