Tuesday, December 28, 2021

2021 Pop Sugar Reading Challenge

For the last several years, I've done the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. Here are my efforts in 2018, 2019, and 2020.  I like this type of challenge because it forces me out of my comfort zone to read different types of books, so I'm not just reading romances and science-fiction books. Here's what I did in 2021.  If I wrote a full review of the book, I linked to my review and if I didn't write a review, I linked to its Goodreads page and wrote a little bit of my thoughts.

1) A book that's published in 2021: Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells (library)

2) An Afrofuturist book: My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due (University library)

3) A book that has a heart, diamond, club, or spade on the cover: An Elderly Woman is Up to No Good by Helene Turston (library ebook)

4) A book by an author who shares your zodiac sign: Darkstalker by Tui T. Sutherland (book lent to me by my nephew)

5) A dark academia book: Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (library ebook)

6) A book with a gem, mineral, or rock in the title: Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (library)

7) A book where the main character works at your current or dream job: The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa, translated by Stephen Snyder (library)

8) A book that has won the Women's Prize For Fiction: Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (winner in 2007)

9) A book with a family tree: Legendborn by Tracy Deonn (library)

10) A bestseller from the 1990s: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (library) - Published in 1996, this was a Newbury Honor Book and a runner-up to the Newbury Medal. 

11) A book about forgetting: The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab (purchased at my local book shop)

12) A book you have seen on someone's bookshelf (in real life, on a Zoom call, in a TV show, etc.): The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (library ebook) - Found on r/fantasy's list of Best Books by Women. A virtual bookshelf, but a bookshelf just the same.

First quarter reads

13) A locked-room mystery: The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley (library)

14) A book set in a restaurant: Tweet Cute by Emma Lord (library)

15) A book with a black-and-white cover: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (library ebook)

16) A book by an Indigenous author: Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich (library)

17) A book that has the same title as a song: Layla by Colleen Hoover (library)

18) A book about a subject you are passionate about: No Room of Her Own by Desiree Hellegers (University library)

19) A book that discusses body positivity: Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert (library ebook)

20) A book found on a Black Lives Matter reading list: Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Y. Davis (library ebook)

21) A genre hybrid: Kindred by Octavia Butler (library) - A historical fiction/science fiction hybrid

22) A book set mostly or entirely outdoors: Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton (library) 

23) A book with something broken on the cover: Oona Out of Order by Margaria Montimore (library ebook)

24) A book by a Muslim American author: A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum (library)

Second quarter reads

25) A book that was published anonymously: The Lost Daughter by Elena Ferrante (library)

26) A book with an oxymoron in the title: The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan (library ebook)

27) A book about do-overs or fresh starts: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (library ebook)

28) A magical realism book: Piranesi by Susanna Clarke (library)

29) A book set in multiple countries: Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan (library) - Irish woman living in Hong Kong, dating a British guy when she suddenly finds herself in a relationship with a woman from Hong Kong.  I wanted to like this book and I thought the writing was clever, but I didn't actually like it.  

30) A book set somewhere you'd like to visit in 2021: On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves (library) - I'm too much of a prude for an age-gap romance. Sorry.  It was set in the Maldives, which is my dream beach location.

31) A book by a blogger, vlogger, YouTube video creator, or other online personality: Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis (library)

32) A book whose title starts with "Q," "X," or "Z": Year One by Nora Roberts (library ebook)

33) A book featuring three generations (grandparent, parent, child): The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (library)

34) A book about a social justice issue: Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez (library)

35) A book in a different format than what you normally read (audiobooks, ebooks, graphic novels): A Warning by Anonymous (library audiobook) - I listened to this on a solo road trip to Michigan and I thought I was ready for hearing about the Trump administration, but instead I just grew more irate, both with Trump and the anonymous author enabler who knew that the president was incompetent and cruel and yet continued to work for him.

36) A book that has fewer than 1,000 reviews on Amazon or Goodreads: Don't Doubt by Tammy Falkner (Kindle book I own) - The Reed Brothers series by Tammy Falkner is a great diversion when you only want to read something light and fluffy. I love all these books and am not sure why Falkner isn't a more popular romance name.

Third quarter reads


37) A book you think your best friend would like: The Grace Year by Kim Liggett (library) - Bestest Friend recommended it to me.

38) A book about art or an artist: Faithless in Death (In Death #52) by J.D. Robb (library) - The victim in this book is an artist, so it's a bit of a stretch, but it's a stretch I'm willing to make. The last few entries in this series have been kind of dull, but this one hit it out of the park for me.

39) A book everyone seems to have read but you: Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (library)

40) Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading Challenge: 2020 prompt of a three word title: The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin (library)

Advanced list!

41) The longest book (by pages) on your TBR list: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (library ebook) - 477 pages

42) The shortest book (by pages) on your TBR list: In Five Years by Rebecca Serle (library) - 255 pages

43) The book on your TBR list with the prettiest cover: The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (library)

44) The book on your TBR list with the ugliest cover: The Fall by Garth Nix (library)

Fourth quarter reads

45) The book that's been on your TBR list for the longest amount of time: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (on my bookshelf!)

46) A book from your TBR list you meant to read last year but didn't: The Guest List by Lucy Foley (library ebook)

47) A book from your TBR list you associate with a favorite person, place, or thing: Math Girls by Hiroshi Yuki, translated by Tony Gonzales (university library) - My favorite thing being math, of course. 

48) A book from your TBR list chosen at random: Tokyo Ueno Station by Yu Miri translated by Morgan Giles (University library)

49) A DNF book from your TBR list: Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir (library ebook)

50) A free book from your TBR list (gifted, borrowed, library): The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare (library ebook)

6 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of this challenge! Good for you! I LOVED the Housekeeper and the Professor, what a great book that was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a big, long challenge!! I used to do the Read Harder Challenge by Book Riot. I think it was 12 or 24 books long? But I stopped doing that maybe 2-3 years ago as I found that I didn't really love a lot of what I read for the challenge. It did push me out of my comfort zone, though.

    I had to see what you thought of the Erdrich book so looked at your review. I've read 2 books by her for book club and pretty much hated both and felt they were a total slog! I want to like her, especially since she's local to Minneapolis. I keep hearing good things about The Sentence, her latest book, so I might read a sample and see if I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is a very impressive list and also a lot of books (from a great range). I don't think I have the headspace to tackle something this diverse right now, but WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

    Happy reading in 2022 :)

    http://elisabeth-frost.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My head is spinning right now- all these books, and so varied! This is quite a challenge, and you take it on every year? I can see how it would get you out of your comfort zone. I'm guilty of reading the same genre (mystery) all the time but I'm always happy when I try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow very impressive. I have read through the prompts of this challenge a couple times better never really had the nerve to research what kind of book falls into what category. How do you do it?

    a few of your titles I have also read or are on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, this reading challenge sounds like a lot of fun but that is a LOT of prompts. I find myself growing very antsy if I feel limited in what I can read, ha. The ultimate bookworm problem! I usually do the Unread Shelf Project, which is just 12 prompts (one per month) and choosing books that I own but haven't read. It's a bit easier as I know those are books I want to read since I bought them! (I'm guessing those who don't buy books could adjust the prompts to books that are on their TBR, maybe!)

    The prompts sound like a lot of fun, though. That's what I love about reading challenges. It's just so fun to pick the books that relate to the prompts!

    ReplyDelete