Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Act Your Age, Eve Brown (The Brown Sisters #3) by Talia Hibbert

Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert is the third novel in the Brown Sisters and is just as delightful as the first two books.  These books are obviously just wish fulfillment, but I don't think Hibbert is pretending otherwise. In this case, two folks with autism find each other and fall in love.  They both have wonderful support networks and it's just so unrealistic, but so loving and lovely and you just want it be the way it is for everyone that while these books are classified as romance (and there are some STEAMY sex scenes), Hibbert's entries almost seem more like fantasy to me, but regardless. Just lovely.

Interesting characters: You know what? Yes, fine.  I thought these were interesting characters.  I think it's interesting that Talia Hibbert writes romance novels about people who aren't perfectly fit, unbelievably wealthy, neurotypical, and have no real health concerns, be it physical or mental. I appreciate that Jacob is well aware of his autism and has created a life around him that can accommodate his needs.  I appreciate that Eve is unaware of her autism and that Hibbert manages to make it part of the storyline that autism is difficult to diagnosis in women without the author coming off as preachy or the facts as out of story.  I love that Hibbert is doing the important job of writing diversity, racial and otherwise, into romance. 

Believable conflict: Of course.  We know, after the previous two books, that the Brown family gets into their family members' business.  So it makes complete sense that the Brown family would come along and interfere in a new, fragile relationship with a couple of people who are new at relationships and have trouble communication. But that trouble with communication is built into the plot of the novel and fits with the characters.  

It raised some interesting questions for me, too. When is it appropriate for adult people who are dating to introduce a new boy/girlfriend to his or her parents?  I ask because it was obviously way too soon in this case, but in many other situations, I feel like people often put it off until the partner has been in the pictures for quite some time and I feel like the answer is that it probably depends on each couple and each situation, but I just want rules to follow for living this life.  (Also, it's been so long since I've dated, if I had to do any of this, I would just crumple into a ball and go adopt another dog.)

Emotional tension: If there's a weakness, it's this. We know from the beginning that these two are going to get together. Jacob is nearly perfect in his attention to Eve.  The sexual tension in this book is off the charts, though. Well done, Talia Hibbert.

Happily ever after: Oh, I love this.  It's simply delightful. I don't want to give it away, but it's a wonderful ending that doesn't involve marriage or children, but simply a celebration of great importance to a character. Just delightful.

In case it's not 100% obvious, I could not be happier with Talia Hibbert as an addition to my stable of romance authors. I will definitely be adding her books to my library hold list ASAP when they come out. If you haven't picked up one of this trilogy, I highly recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment