Monday, February 06, 2023

Astrid Parker Doesn't Fail (Bright Falls #2) by Ashley Herring Blake

Astrid Parker Doesn't Fail is Ashley Herring Blake's follow-up to the very delightful Delilah Green Doesn't Care. Astrid Parker is the designer on the old Everwood Inn. She needs this job to ensure her business succeeds. Unfortunately, she started on the wrong foot with Jordan Everwood, the granddaughter of the Inn's owner. Can these two make it work?

Interesting characters: Astrid's a mess, isn't she? Mommy issues, career uncertainties, and confusion over her sexual identity. It's hard not to feel bad for her, but I still felt like she wasn't particularly inviting. Jordan has a problem ex, but she seems to be more together. I don't know. It's interesting because Delilah was prickly in the last book and I adored her, but Astrid is just a fuckup AND she's an ice queen and I just don't know where she gets off being like she is. Hm. A conundrum.

Believable conflict: Oh, sure. Their meet-cute set them up to dislike one another and then Jordan does something absolutely disgraceful at their work*. These two were set up to have serious issues. 

*This could have been avoided, though, very easily. All Jordan had to say was "I don't like this, what about this?" and the conflict would have been non-existent. It was believable conflict in that I believe that the outcomes that occurred WOULD occur, but it shouldn't have happened at all.

Emotional tension: Eh. I don't think I was ever in doubt that these two would figure it out, although there was a scene when Jordan wasn't sure if Astrid wanted her just because Astrid wanted to be with just any woman or if Astrid wanted to be with Jordan herself and I thought that was really interesting and wish Blake had investigated this more thoroughly.

Happily ever after: Oh, yes, I was so happy with the outcome of this book. Perfect ending in my mind.

A good book, but not nearly as good as Delilah Green Doesn't Care. 3.5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Yup, this is exactly how I felt about this book. It was good, but Delilah Green was much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I do think this is an author to keep an eye on, though!

      Delete