Sunday, June 23, 2024

20th Anniversary Countdown: Guest #10

In celebration of my 20th Blogiversary, I'm doing guest posts every week leading up to the big day. 

Today's guest poster is Elisabeth!

Elisabeth (definitely with an 's') is a mom of two who lives in Nova Scotia, Canada. She works in project management, which I secretly think is a code word for espionage. She blogs at The Optimistic Musings of a Pessimist and write about the struggles of living in this modern world, travel, parenting, and ethical conundrums such as what are your top five and bottom five ice cream flavors. Go read her stuff!!

When Engie asked if I would consider being one of her guests during the celebratory countdown to her twentieth - (let’s all let that sink in for a minute; two-zero!) - year of blogging, I jumped at the chance. When she suggested I write about my favourite places in Nova Scotia, I all but sprinted to my computer. [Note from NGS: I enjoyed at all the -ou words in this post and I left them all for you to enjoy the true Canadian experience.]

If you’ll indulge me in some geographic navel-gazing, here are my Top Twenty (er - Twenty Four) Favourite Things to See/Do in Nova Scotia.
Top Four Lighthouses
Narrowing down my list of lighthouse suggestions to only four is nothing short of torturous; there are over 100 lighthouses scattered along Nova Scotia’s 13,000 km of coastline. But, if pressed, these are my absolute favourites. 
  1. Peggy’s Cove. It is fitting that the first destination I mention is my favourite location in all of Nova Scotia. The (literal) poster child of our province, this lighthouse and adjacent rocky shoreline is a spot we return to year after year. 
  2. Cape Forchu. Years ago, we pulled out of our driveway one weekend morning and asked the kids: Right or Left. We followed their directional cues all the way to the Western tip of Nova Scotia and were rewarded with this stunning “apple core” lighthouse.
  3. Louisbourg. The original structure - ultimately destroyed by fire - was the first lighthouse in Canada. The current build, like its predecessors, overlooks the Fortress of Louisbourg - a French stronghold destroyed by the British in the 1760s).
  4. Margaretsville. This lighthouse is a perennial favourite; there’s an art co-op on site, a waterfall within walking distance, a pier full of fishing boats (perfectly stereotypical for the Maritimes), a boardwalk, and picnic facilities. 


Top Four Beaches
On the Bay of Fundy side of our province, the beaches are red mud - beautiful and fun in their own way. But the Atlantic side boasts gorgeous white-sand shores that stretch for miles.
 
  1. Beach Meadows. My personal favourite. It’s small, it’s quiet, the waves are constant but gentle. There is a rock formation to one side of the beach full of tide pools teeming with sea life. I absolutely love this beach.
  2. Carter’s Beach. If you’re looking for the closest thing Nova Scotia has to the tropics, it would be Carter’s which shot to fame about a decade ago when it was named Canada’s Best Beach. The shoreline is littered with sand dollars and the water looks like it was transported straight from the Caribbean. 
  3. Hirtle’s. Another family favourite, this beach offers some of the best boogie-boarding waves in Nova Scotia. (For surfing enthusiasts, I’d recommend Martinique and Lawrencetown.)
  4. Cape Sable. This is a bit of a cheat; I love this beach primarily because it includes one of the most beautiful lighthouses in Canada (look at me sneaking in a fifth lighthouse recommendation; stealthy). Getting to this stretch of shoreline requires hiring a boat, but it’s worth the effort. Absolutely stunning.  

Top Four Historical Sites
  1. Landscape of Grand Pré. This UNESCO World Heritage Site features a stone church and sprawling grounds. Marking the site of the Acadian deportation in 1755, this area was immortalized in the poem Evangeline written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. [Note from NGS: Here's the link to the poem. I feel like I have to follow Maya's example.]
  2. Lunenburg. While we’re on the theme of UNESCO…Lunenburg is one of only two urban communities in North America with a World Heritage Site designation. The waterfront is lovely, especially when the Bluenose II - a replica of the iconic racing schooner that graces the back of the Canadian dime - is in port.
  3. Annapolis Royal/Port Royal. This was my hometown as an adolescent and is steeped in history! The Habitation at Port Royal was established in 1605 by Samuel d’Champlain and is one of the earliest European settlements in North America. Nearby Fort Anne was one of the most hotly contested parcels of land on the continent (and even played a role in the American Revolutionary War).
  4. The Halifax Waterfront. In the heart of our provincial capital: There are islands! There is a lighthouse! There are museums! There are cruise ships! There is a British citadel from the 1800’s! Sadly, this was also the scene of the Halifax Explosion in 1917 which remains one of the largest man-made explosions of all time. [Note from NGS: As loyal readers know, I love learning about a good maritime disaster. This looks amazing.]

Top Four Hikes
  1. Cape Split. An iconic looped trail through the forest; depending on the trails selected, total distance varies from ~12 -14 km.
  2. Blomidon. Perhaps our family favourite? Depending on the route, ~6-12 km.
  3. Skyline Trail (Cape Breton). Arguably the most famous hike along the Cabot Trail - and maybe in all of Nova Scotia - it’s shorter than I expected at around 6 km but offers stunning views.
  4. Balancing Rock. A short 2.5 km hike gets you to the Balancing Rock (also known as Nature’s Time Post) - a basalt rock formation that defies gravity.

Top Four Local Experiences

  1. Walk on the ocean floor. The Bay of Fundy boasts the highest tides on the planet - and nowhere are these tidal extremes on better display than the rock formations at Medford Beach (at high tide, the only way to access these rock formations is via kayak...or swimming).
  2. A sunset. We have beautiful sunsets and I highly recommend finding a spot by the ocean and settling in for a display of God’s handiwork.
  3. Wolfville. The prettiest town in the province, I challenge anyone who says otherwise to a duel (of words). There are quaint shops and trails and historical sites and a university and two independent theatres and restaurants and a used bookstore and a library in an old railway station and more culture than you can shake a stick at. (I may be a wee bit biased since I live here.)
  4. A bonfire at Scott’s Bay. One of our new favourite summer activities, this beach is the perfect place to roast hotdogs or marshmallows and watch the sun go down.


In honour of wishing Engie many more years of blogging, I present four bonus mentions that are iconic and beloved experiences that simply aren’t high on my personal radar.

Top Four “Come-from-away” Adventures
  1. Whale-watching. While we have been fortunate enough to spot whales/porpoises/seals from shore, Nova Scotia is famous for whale-watching and there are all sorts of off-shore tour options.
  2. Star-gazing. Our wee province boasts two Dark Sky preserves. While we haven’t traveled to any of the destination locations for star-gazing, this picture my husband captured in our back yard isn’t too shabby. 
  3. Wine, spirits and all things alcohol. I rarely imbibe, so this attraction is very much lost on me. There are so many wineries and distilleries (dozens in the province) and they are a major tourist draw. Wolfville hosts a Magic Winery Tour atop a double-decker bus that visits ten or so wineries within a 15-minute radius. (Yes, there really are that many wineries where I live!). There are also oodles of cider companies and distilleries. 
  4. Seafood. Quaint fishing villages are more than just a photo-op; Nova Scotia seafood (especially lobster, scallops, and clams) is renowned world-wide! 
The world is a beautiful place and there are architectural and natural delights on every part of the globe. But some places are extra special. I am blessed to live in one of those extra special places. (Not convinced? National Geographic’s top thirty global “Cool List of 2024” includes Nova Scotia).

Thanks Engie - I’m wishing you many, many years of happy blogging ahead.

********************
Anyone else convinced that Nova Scotia should be your next vacation destination?

53 comments:

  1. Yep, I am sold on NS as a vacation destination! My priority would be every lighthouse, then the Bay of Fundy, and then everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've promised you're coming my way, Birchie! I think you'd love it here! Though, alas, no FLW houses...

      Delete
    2. I feel like I should show this post to my husband and suggest NS as a vacation destination. Not a single major city in sight!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!! Elisabeth, you really should get involved with the Nova Scotia tourist department or whatever it is someday! You should be writing tourist pamphlets or wait- maybe even an actual guidebook?! You are clearly passionate and are SO good at describing this place. I'm so glad to see that you really get out and enjoy all the beauty at your fingertips. I feel like sometimes it's easy (for me anyway) to get wrapped up in far-away travel experiences and forget to take advantage of awesome local spots right under my nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks Kae <3
      The pandemic (sadly) is a big reason we've managed to see so much of the province. When travel restrictions were lifted within Nova Scotia, we looked for places off the beaten path to explore with our young - energetic! - children. I hope you make it here someday; it's no Hawaii, but it's absolutely beautiful and a lovely, relaxed pace of life. Plus, for Americans, the exchange rate is impossible to beat...

      Delete
    2. No offense to Kae's Hawaii trip, but this looks so much less people-y and crowded! And your beaches are gorgeous, too!!

      Delete
  3. Elisabeth, it's clear that you love your home. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Seafood and wine--I'm in! And I'm a fan of all things Canadian anyway. (I married a man who is part Canadian.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful corner of a beautiful country!

      Delete
    2. As I was putting this post in a draft form, I was considering whether or not I could come up with 20 things to do in my area. I'm not sure I could! Elisabeth is clearly a better member of the Tourism Board than I am!

      Delete
  4. I echo Kae's comment! NS tourism could use you!
    Now that we've done ON and QC, the Maritimes is next on my Canadian travel list, so I am hoping to do all of those things and see all of those sights in the next five or so years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have a good friend in Halifax as well? Nova Scotia is calling (nay, screaming) your name, Nicole!

      Delete
    2. I'm imagining both of you doing a big Anne of Green Gables tour together!

      Delete
  5. Love the photography too! Very evocative...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maya. The rugged coastline makes it hard to take any "bad" pictures in Nova Scotia! Just stunning juxtapositions of colour from nature...and all those lighthouses!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Elisabeth! I am not sure if you're giving you and John enough credit here - the scenery IS lovely, but you're also looking to showcase it.

      Delete
  6. I am so so ready to come and cross of every single thing on this list. So gorgous. My best friend is in Nova Scotia this summer and I am envious. But i did forward this list. Thank you Elisabeth for sharing the beauty of the place you live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know several Germans who live in Nova Scotia; it seems to be a common place to own summer cottages!

      Delete
    2. Ooohhh...I wonder what the connection is between NS and Germany.

      Delete
  7. Oh, this was fun! Such great photos. I have been in NS, but only on the way to PEI, so I didn't know about a lot of this. Two things I do know:
    *It's because of the aid Boston sent after the Halifax explosion that NS sends the city of Boston a Christmas tree every year.
    *The young adult book Another Shore by Nancy Bond is set in Louisbourg: the main character is doing historic reconstruction there (presumably in the 1980s, when the book was published) when she is sent back in time to 1744. It's a pretty good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny you mention the Boston tree; when I first drafted this post I included an anecdote all about it...but I tend toward wordiness and cut it out. So colour me thrilled you included it in your comment. One year I saw the tree at a truck stop en route to Boston!

      Delete
    2. Oh, wow! I'm glad to learn about the Boston tree anecdote, too. What a lovely way to remember the Halifax and the assistance given to the vicitms.

      Delete
  8. How interesting! And the photos, oh, the photos. I wonder if central Jersey has 20 things... probably not ;) One day I will visit NS, just added it to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on not knowing if I could have 20 things around me! It would be a stretch, I think.

      Delete
    2. It is a GREAT place to visit with kids. Lots to do and see, and nothing is too far away from each other...

      Delete
  9. Nova Scotia is DEFINITELY on my (non-existent, ha) bucket list now... I mean the landscape is just so, so cool. The Cape Split Hike looks amazing! And the beaches. And historic places. You really got it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to go to one of those beaches right now!!

      Delete
    2. It is an incredible mix of natural wonders, man-made attractions, and just quaint little places to visit. I think most people who live in Nova Scotia don't really appreciate the scope of what's available here?
      You would LOVE the Cape Split hike. It's all through the woods with a few coastal look-offs before emerging at a giant rock formation. Very fun!

      Delete
  10. I remember reading about the Halifax explosion, and the Boston Christmas Tree. And conversely, how Nova Scotia became a haven for those displaced when the US shut down the borders to incoming flights on September 11th, 2001. Good neighbors, to be sure.

    Elisabeth has such a good eye for photography, and writes so beautifully, I suspect she could make a suburb in the central valley of California look good (I came from one, blah!). Having said that, Nova Scotia looks to be an amazing and picturesque place. I've only been to Canada once, to Toronto and Belleville (where my husband was born), but would love to go back some day. We intended to go to BC (I know, other side of the continent) in 2020, but we all know what happened with vacation plans that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fascinating to send Elisabeth to a blah place and see what she comes up with. Like you said, I bet she could make the mundane look spectacular.

      Delete
    2. You're too kind. I don't think I could. My parents live in NB and I find it hard to find too much to say about that province. I love where they live, but I find the rest of it rather...blah. Nova Scotia is unique, I think?
      That said, I do like to explore and think most areas have lots of hidden charm <3

      I had no idea Ted was from Belleville. My in-laws used to work in Belleville and still live very close.

      Delete
  11. I was already convinced that you live in the best place in the world, even before reading this post. I don't think I could take the winter weather (but that's true of most places) so I think I should just come visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Elisabeth's photos do conveniently leave out winter, don't they? It's a Nova Scotia tourism conspiracy!!

      Delete
    2. To be fair, winter's in Nova Scotia are fairly mild compared to the rest of Canada (aside from Vancouver, it's about as warm as it gets) but...yes. I am NOT a fan of winter. Fall, however, is gorgeous and probably my absolute favourite time of year. The colours are spectacular, the temperatures are usually absolutely perfect and there are fewer tourists around so most of the sites I highlight above are close to empty!

      Delete
  12. Anyone else convinced that Nova Scotia should be your next vacation destination? I've thought this for years now, and this post only serves to reinforce that idea. Elisabeth lives in one great place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty swell province <3

      Delete
    2. Elisabeth, is Big NS Tourism paying you for this post?

      Delete
  13. Gosh NS seems so incredibly beautiful with such a diversity of things to do/see. I did not know pretty much anything about NS until I "met" Elisabeth and now it is definitely on the list of places I'd like to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a small enough province tucked out of the way that it's easy to overlook. It takes some effort to get here from the US and since it is so small, doesn't have "big attractions" like some major cities in Canada. But it has so much charm! I think you'd love visiting here (which I know is happening sometime, RIGHT?!)

      Delete
    2. I think it would be a great place to visit with small kids because so much of it is based on ourdoorsy things! Much more fun for children than a big city, right?

      Delete
  14. Elisabeth, your photographs are transportive! Except not AS transportive as I wish, because I want to be in Nova Scotia right this second! It sounds idyllic and beautiful and full of so many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need to invent one of those transporters where you can immediately go somewhere without having to travel! Then we could all go to Elisabeth's house (which she would obviously love - lol - imagine her panic!) and demand a tour.

      Delete
  15. I definitely want to visit Nova Scotia after reading this post! It looks and sounds like a magical place! This is a lovely guest post, Elisabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks magical, too. I wish we had beautiful beaches like that.

      Delete
  16. So stunning! We were in Nova Scotia in 2017 - fun fact I was born in Sydney, NS and this was my first time back since my family left when I was a year old. We spent most of our time on Cape Breton Island and Halifax, with a side trip to PEI. Clearly there is a whole lot more to the province than we covered! The Bay of Fundy is on my Husband's bucket list, so hopefully we'll make it back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cape Breton is a place I've only been to twice which is a shame. I am missing so much wonderful scenery. It is just...along way out of our way. But definitely on my "explore more" list. I never really think of CB as BEING in Nova Scotia because it almost feels like a whole other province and experience!

      Delete
    2. I feel like I've learned more about Canadian geography through this post than in my entire life combined.

      Delete
  17. Your photos are so beautiful, Elisabeth! I have been wanting to visit Nova Scotia since I started reading Elisabeth's blog - I concur with the other comments saying that you should write for their tourism board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? She should just send them a link to this post and see if she could get a gig. It would be awesome if she could make passive money just doing what she normally does with her family!!

      Delete
  18. I love Nova Scotia. One of my very best friends since forever lives there, and I used to get out to visit her more frequently, but it's been years and I need to get on that. I love Peggy's Cove. I love the windy beaches. We went on a road trip with three of our close friend families when the kids were little, saw the tall ships, did the touch tank, had an absolute blast. If I could live wherever I wanted, it would be by the ocean. Ugh, now I'm sad that I live in stupid Ottawa. Kidding. Kind of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always lived in a place where water is key - Lake Michigan when I lived in Michigan, the Mississippi River when I lived in Minneapolis, and now there are two rivers in my town. I am obsessed with water. But I would love one of those lovely sandy beaches to be near me!! Let's move there together, Allison.

      Delete
  19. There are so many places in Canada that I want to visit and she's sealed the deal on Nova Scotia for me! What a fabulous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky Elisabeth shared with us all these lovely places in Nova Scotia. Such a lovely province!

      Delete