Sunday, May 12, 2024

20th Anniversary Countdown: Guest Post #4

In celebration of my 20th Blogiversary, I'm having guest posts in the lead-up to the big day. This is my fourth guest.

Please welcome Maya!

Maya is a rock star professor who regularly writes beautiful poetry on her blog PocoBrat. She also writes about her family, her cute dogs, and why living in Michigan is both the best and the worst. She has amazing home decor and I long to have her come to my house and somehow make it as cheery as her house.

*******************

Congrats on twenty years to Engie! I love coming to this blog for her humor, honesty, and vulnerability. And she truly makes me want to be a better person when she shares her accountability stats. Also, I love, love Engie’s amazing fashion sense, sense of fairness, attention to sustainability, and her sweet and photogenic family. PLUS her voice—imbued with its general air of earnestness and kindness and sarcasm—is one of my favorite things in the world.

I think Engie likes to rib me about poetry. :) I still chuckle at that birthday card that announced, on the outside, “I wrote you a poem for your birthday.” And inside it said, “It’s called: I can’t believe you thought I wrote you a poem for your birthday!”

But… I love poetry. It’s the best. Robert Frost says a poem “begins in delight and ends in wisdom.” Absolutely. I love the pieces that begin with a beautiful thought or image then—bam—INSIGHT! Poetry can feel like a jigsaw-crossword-puzzle-riddle-wordplay-stream-of-consciousness-salad, sometimes, and will make you work for meaning. What can I say—poetry has standards. Shouldn’t we all :)?

Sometimes the world seems too awful for beauty—the philosopher Theodor Adorno famously claimed, "There can be no poetry after Auschwitz." But as another great thinker (Dr. Malcolm in Jurassic Park—haha) said, "Life will find a way." And along with the impulse to life, comes poetry—the impulse to make sense of life, to mark it with beauty, generosity, and humor.

It feels like I've always loved poetry (thank you, Mom and Dad). My stay-at-home mom delighted in English poetry and memorized a lot of it with my sister and me as we progressed through school. My dad, (a staid and stern corporate powerhouse during the day) was the most indulgent, funny, feminist dad who shared so many stories and so much poetry—especially revolutionary and radical Tamil poetry—with the two daughters he doted on at home. I remember being five or six and wanting very badly to be a poet (and so I became a bad poet—whomp, whomp!).

In honor of Engie’s twentieth blog anniversary, here’s a top-twenty list organized around poetry based on bits that worked for me, my students, kids, and friends. There are lots of links here, but it’s barely a beginning. Pick something that intrigues you and explore from there? I hope you find plenty of delight and insight! XOXO ~ maya

*******************

1. Best short poem: 
Laura Gilpin’s “Two-headed Calf.” Oh, READ THIS! Even if you think you don't get poetry. Reread this, even if you already have. It “kills” me every single damn time. 

Best translated short poem: Kuruntokkai "Red Earth and Pouring Rain" What a perfect metaphor for love, marriage, and mixing families.

2. Best long poem/novel:
Vikram Seth’s The Golden Gate. If you think the 1980s yuppie lifestyle in San Francisco cannot be put into rhyming sonnets, think again.

Best translated long poem/novel: Pushkin's Eugene Onegin. Russians love this, you might too?

3. Best daily dose of poetry online: 
The anonymous Insta at Poetry is not a Luxury. (The title comes from Audre Lorde’s 1985 essay of the same name in which she famously declared “For women, then, poetry is not a luxury. It is a vital necessity of our existence.”) [Note from NGS: Instant follow from me.]

4. Best daily dose of poetry delivered to your inbox:
Choose from (or subscribe to both!) 
poets.org (subscribe here: https://poets.org/poem-a-day)
and Rattle.com (subscribe here: https://www.rattle.com/info/about-us/ )
(Waking up in the morning while reading a poem whose title changes by the end can really wake you up! See “Credit” by James Washington Jr. for a boost.)

5. Sex poems:
There’s a lot out there. I would know—I used to edit the poetry section of the erotica magazine Clean Sheets. But my favorites are the Metaphysical Poets in general, John Donne in particular, and especially this one “To His Mistress Going to Bed.” I consider myself a postcolonial scholar who scoffs at imperialism, but when Donne (the Rev. Donne of the “no man is an island” sermon) mingles sex and colonization… Phew! I need to loosen my stays. “Licence my roving hands, and let them go/Before, behind, between, above, below/O my America! my new-found-land/My kingdom, safeliest when with one man mann’d/My Mine of precious stones, My Empire/How blest am I in this discovering thee!/To enter in these bonds, is to be free;/Then where my hand is set, my seal shall be.” [Note from NGS: This poem was blocked by my work browser blocker. Hot stuff, indeed.]

If you happen to be sex-averse, I got you. You might like Louise Gluck's "Mock Orange."

And a sassy and sad poem about heterosexual hypocrisy and heteronormativity: Pat Parker "For the Straight Folks Who Don’t Mind Gays But Wish They Weren’t so Blatant.

6. Best poem as anthem/fight song:
Gwendolyn Brooks "We Real Cool." “We real cool. We/Left school.” The music of this! The ‘tude! I mutter it as I get dressed for a night out with friends.

7. Funny poetry T-Shirt: 
When poets take themselves too seriously, I think of this T-Shirt and chuckle.

9. Poems in other media:
Percy Bysshe Shelley’s “Ozymandias” is the winner and it’s frequently misunderstood—for e.g., in the TV show Breaking Bad.

The award for a poem read interestingly in a novel goes to Shakespeare's Sonnet #130.

In Zadie Smith's novel White Teeth, One of the protagonists Irie thinks the lines (“If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;/If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head”)

suggest that the lady in the poem may not be a white, but her high school English teacher wants none of it. (Bad teacher, BTW!)

10. Poetry you can read for its incantatory power, almost as a mantra.
It may not always be clear what's going on an initial read, but the melody, wordplay, and magic are so strong, you can't stop. Then suddenly it’s like those magic-eye pictures where all is revealed. Find this magic in T.S. Eliot, Dylan Thomas, and the Jesuit priest Gerald Manley Hopkins.

If you enjoy getting lost in language, Maggie Nelson’s Bluets is a whole volume about just one color—guess which?

11. Best poems about making sense of our beautiful and terrifying world:
A real-estate-themed poem by Maggie Smith called "Good Bones". Those last lines!

And a heartbreaker of a climate change poem: Paul Nelson’s “Elegy for Tahlequah’s Calf.” I dare you not to cry. [Note from NGS: Count me in the crying club.]

Want more about diaspora? See Marilyn Chin’s "How I got That Name"

"The further west we go,/we'll hit east;/the deeper down we dig,/we'll find China."

Want more about globalization? See Meena Alexander’s "Krishna." “Still, how much can you bear on your back?/You’ve lost one language, gained another, lost a third./There’s nothing you’ll inherit,/neither per stirpes nor per capita"

12. The “If You Like Mary Oliver” Section:
I think a lot of Engie’s readers like Mary Oliver. If that’s you, you may also like Wendell Berry, Anais Nin, Emily Dickinson, Khalil Gibran, Maya Angelou, Naomi Shihab Nye, Rupi Kaur, Warsan Shire, Pablo Neruda, Li Bai, Charles Bukowski, Wallace Stevens, etc. They’re all seriously good, just pick a random page and go!
Don’t miss: 
13th century Persian mystic Rumi 
17th century Spanish nun Sor Juana 
19th century Transcendentalist Walt Whitman 
Early 20th century Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore

13. Poem that became a Google Doodle: 
Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise." “’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells/Pumping in my living room.” LOL. I’m so glad I share a name with this late, great.

14. Searing political poems: 
Langston Hughes “I too.” “I, too, sing America./I am the darker brother./They send me to eat in the kitchen/When company comes…” Ooch. Burn.

Poem about ongoing geopolitical conflict/genocide Refaat Al Areer’s final poem "If I Must Die." “If I must die,/you must live/to tell my story/to sell my things…” Many of the libraries made by protesting students inside the college encampments are named in honor of this poet who was killed by bombs the week after he wrote this.

And here’s a short poem by Marwan Makhoul “In order for me to write poetry/that is not political,/I must listen to the birds/and in order to hear the birds/the war planes must be silent.”

15. Best poems about parents: 
If you love them, read Dylan Thomas’s "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night." 
If you hate 'em, read Philip Larkin's "This Be the Verse." [Note from NGS: The lines "Get out as early as you can, And don't have any kids yourself" really made me feel seen.]

16. Poem that always surprises me and my students by how current it is: 
Audre Lorde's "Power" (1978). Wow—how things have NOT changed!

“A policeman who shot down a ten-year-old in Queens/stood over the boy with his cop shoes in childish blood/and a voice said, “Die you little motherfucker” and/there are tapes to prove it.”

17. Viral spoken word Poem a tie between 
Patricia Lockwood’s "Rape Joke" (as brutal as the title, CW for rape)

“The rape joke is that you had been drinking wine coolers. Wine coolers! Who drinks wine coolers? People who get raped, according to the rape joke.”

and Aya de Leon’s "If Women Ran Hip Hop" (Quirky, cute, punchy, feminist!) “If women ran hip hop/The only folks dancing in cages would be dogs & cats/From the local animal shelter/ Excited about getting adopted by pet lovers in the crowd” LOVE.

18. Poem you’ll have to reread immediately! 
"Refugees" by Brian Bilston. This one’s practically a lightbulb exploding in your brain. I won’t give anything else away.

And in a similar vein, Ross Gay’s linked poems: Read "Bringing the Shovel Down" and then read "Again" to feel better. I almost didn’t name our new puppy Max because of this set of poems.

19. Recent U.S. poet laureates of note: 
Ada Limon (current poet laureate, the first Latina to hold the position). In The Carrying she writes: “What if, instead of carrying /a child, I am supposed to carry grief?”

and Joy Harjo (first indigenous poet laureate) In The Last Song, she writes: “An ancient chant/ that my mother knew/came out of a history/woven from wet tall grass/in her womb.”

20. Trivia: 
Go ahead and wonder what the prominent 19th-century poet Phillis Wheatley would have been called if she hadn’t been kidnapped at the age of seven from West Africa and then named for the ship that brought her to the U.S. (Phillis) and the family she was enslaved to (Wheatley).

BONUS: 

Happy Twentieth Blog-versary, dear Engie! Here’s to another twenty at least!

*******************

Do you have a favorite bit of poetry? 

37 comments:

  1. Ooh I'm now following the Poetry is not a Luxury account! Her latest post is Maggie Smith's Good Bones!!! I read (ok, ok listened to on audio) Smith's book's a few months ago and I loved her use of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is reading, the medium doesn't matter (IMO)! I haven't read Smith's book yet--it's the one about her divorce, I think?

      Delete
    2. I had a good chuckle at "Good Bones" being the poem on that account, too! Of all the poems, it had to be one that Maya had singled out. I thought it showed that Maya had curated only the best of the best for us.

      Delete
  2. Oh, so many good ones in here! I used to have my basic classes read "We Real Cool" out loud--really loudly--in rhythm and add any dance moves they wanted.

    I miss teaching my Creative Writing II class quite a bit--we called it All Poetry All The Time. I can't tell you how many times I was swept away by the brilliance of my kids. It was such a privilege to work with them.

    I'll always have an enormous soft spot for "The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock" by TS Eliot. The plaintive tone of his "I grow old...I grow old..." wounds me every time. And I'll forever be a devotee of Walt Whitman--America's first hippie: "I am large, I contain multitudes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance--I double-checked to make sure Whitman was on the list. I felt you'd want to speak to my manager otherwise :D! I love how new our Walt can feel even after repeated readings.

      And poor Prufrock! Those opening lines! A patient etherized upon a table! That makes me laugh-cry!

      Delete
    2. I feel like we're creating a syllabus here of fun poetry for people who just don't know where to get started. It's fun!

      Delete
    3. Also, Nance--This isn't the first time I've wished I could have been in one of your classes :).

      Delete
  3. Wow, great post. I'm someone who wants to love poetry, but doesn't actually read much of it. There are some great links here. At the risk of sounding... well, I can't think of the word, but I guess the equivalent would be someone who says they like classical music and it turns out they only know the opening bars of Beethoven's 5th Symphony- I've always loved Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken."
    "Oh, I kept the first for another day!/ Yet knowing how way leads on to way/ I doubted if I should ever come back." I think about those lines frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. Frost's poem is definitely one of the greats! I mean--we learn a bunch of poems in school, but this one we actually use when we contemplate life decisions!

      Delete
    2. Jenny! I had that poem on a poster in my bedroom when I was a teenager. I think it's the perfect poem to add to this list!

      Delete
  4. What an incredible post. I saved it so I can take my time to go through the poems again. The one about the real estate OMG Right n the feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daria! Yes--that one hits extra hard when one cares for young ones....

      Delete
    2. I hope this becomes a resource for people who don't know where to get started with poetry. I'm so grateful Maya took the time to put it all together for all of us!

      Delete
  5. Love love love. I adored Joy Harjo's memoir, and Gwendolyn Brooks! I grew up in IL when she was our poet laureate and met her in HS at a poetry awards thing-- she was wonderful. And! AUDRE LORDE-- I still teach The Cancer Journals in my feminist social movements class. So many of the authors-- and works-- you mentioned showed up in forensics over the years. A great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faves for me: Barbie Doll by Marge Piercy and Grandmother Grace by Ronald Wallace

      Delete
    2. Ah! Marge Piercy should be on the list! I used to read "The Low Road" for courage during the Trump years.

      Delete
    3. And off to find the Ronald Wallace poem. Don't you love the internet?

      Delete
    4. Audre Lorde! Wow! I am LOVING how this list grows and grows. I have so much homework now!

      Delete
  6. I love poetry, particularly Mary Oliver, of course. I enjoy Rupi Kaur as well, and Suzanne got me into Louise Gluck (I think, it's early, I just got back, I don't even know where I am right now). When I was young I LOVED The Lady of Shallot. I was OBSESSED. This went with my Mists of Avalon obsession! I read a poem every morning before yoga and it helps ground me for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mary Oliver should be everyone's gentle intro into poetry. It's just so accessible!

      Delete
  7. Your poem before yoga is such a beautiful practice, Nicole. Is there a particular volume you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who loves patterns in words, I remember when we had to memorize Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening and how I loved the way the rhyme scheme helped me keep the verses in order! Rhyme and rhythm, yes please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a reason we remember song lyrics and we can sing along to a song we haven't heard in decades, but can't remember the sine/cosine rules from trigonometry, right?!

      Delete
    2. A lot of ancient Indian literature depended on rhythm and rhyme to help people remember because it wasn't written down. So this absolutely resonates!

      Delete
  9. Yes! More poetry in my life please! What a great list. I love how one can return to a poem again and again, re-living the experience in a much more succinct way that re-reading a novel or something lengthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am appreciating the Instagram account - I get a little poetry in my life daily without having to do anything to search for it! It feels like a little treat when you're not expecting it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Diane! Yes! Reading a poem is much more do-able than rereading a novel. And there are a lot of women poets supposedly because one can dash off a poem in between household tasks whereas a novel might require more dedicated writing time.

      Delete
  10. I want to be someone who says they love poetry but in all honesty, I don't think I read enough of it... I think most of the poetry I consume is in the form of song lyrics (and isn't that the most beautiful kind of poetry at all sometimes?). Thanks for this list though, I want to come back and explore more... the 'Refugees' poem was so spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't set time aside to read poetry, that's for sure. It was fun to go through this list while I was checking that all the links worked to read through everything. I feel like this is a great starter list and I'm so grateful Maya took the time to write it all out for all of us.

      Delete
    2. I think the Beatles were my first inkling of poetry... Song lyrics really hit deep...

      Delete
  11. I want to try to read more poetry so this is a good place for me to start that exploration process! I LOVE the poem Good Bones, as well as Maggie's Smith's memoir about her marriage ending. Poets often write excellent novels because they can be so efficient with word usage yet deliver so much meaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poets can write lovely novels! You're so right. That's maybe a good place for those of us who don't read much poetry to start - with novels.

      Delete
    2. I haven't read the Maggie Smith memoir yet... I read an excerpt and it made me so mad at her husband, I don't know if I could?

      Delete
  12. Belatedly writing to say that the pair of Ross Gay poems is *devastating.* I accidentally read "Again" before "Bringing the Shovel Down" and I think it was actually worse that way. Wow. Thank you for sharing those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna--WOW! I never thought of how it would be if the prescribed order were reversed... yes, so much more devastating. Poor Max!

      Delete
  13. On Insta, I'd also recommend following @intotheforestdark/. Elliott is a 'regular person', but seeks out poetry in his daily life, and writes a wonderful, inspirational substack. He loves Emily Dickinson. What more need one know? :) (And thank you, Maya, for writing this. I think I lost track of your blog, somehow, but must add it to my Feedly so I don't do so again...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding @intotheforestdark/ --what a lovely handle! Thank you, Anne!

      Delete