Thursday, November 30, 2023

13.31 A (Half) Year of Activity - DONE!!

I just finished a yearly project. Each day of the month I posted on a pre-determined theme. During the month of November, I'll post a collage of all my photos on the daily theme from the past year. The theme for the thirty-first day of the month was "Activity."

****************

2022 Reading Stats - I would be broke if it weren't for the beauty of public libraries. 
Baking - I mostly successfully made lemon bars.
Writing Daily - Ha ha ha. I am so excited that this little experiment is coming to a close. 
A Little of This, A Little of That - This is when I first did a straw poll to see if anyone wanted to do a reread of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn with me. The very early stages of the Cool Bloggers Book Club!
Sunday Chore Day - I legitimately walked you through the chores I did. I'm SO SORRY. I had to write something every day. 
Scribe It - Interesting idea, but it didn't work for my needs. 
NaBloPoMo 2023 - We did it!

****************
Book count: 2
Sign count: 1
Food count: 1
****************
Draped Reclining Figure by Henry Moore (bronze, 1952-1953, cast 1956)

This is a very celebratory post for me. Not only have we all survived NaBloPoMo, but my half-baked project to blog every day for a year is finally over. You can heave a sigh of relief that I will never again be posting multiple times a day! Woot woot! (I am lying. I did this exact same thing in 2014-2015, so maybe in another decade I'll do it again.)

Here are some lessons I've learned over the course of this project.

1) I can write something every day. It doesn't have to be witty or even particularly GOOD, but it's possible to write something every day. The beauty of posting every day is that if you write something mediocre, it's replaced by something newer the next day. The opposite of that is also true, though; sometimes you write something that is smart and gets lots of engagement and it is also replaced the next day. 

2) The hardest part, for me, is not the writing. It's coming up with the ideas about what to say. Sure, I might notice that there are a lot of PopTarts or that the sidewalks are messed up, but what do I say about them?  Where are all these ideas supposed to come from, anyway? 

3) Some themes were more helpful than others. For example, the theme "Moment" was so flexible that using it as a prompt was pretty easy. But the theme "Failure" felt limiting and negative.  Perhaps I should have considered the reusability of the prompts more at the beginning of the project, but I did not, so sometimes I had to get creative.

4) As I've talked about before, these prompts did start to overtake my life a little bit. If anyone so much as said the word "safety" or "decision" or "contact" in my vicinity, my ears would perk up and I would be much more interested than I really should have been. 

5) It is true, isn't it, that a big project is just a series of little projects? When I published my first hat post, it all seemed very daunting. But each post on its own wasn't that time consuming, although I hesitate to even think about the total number of hours I spent on it.

6) This came at a great time in my life. For most of the length of the project, I was either unemployed or underemployed and I was feeling adrift. This did give me structure to my life AND a community of people who supported me even when I wrote about very mundane things like my linen closet, how I do laundry, what's in my curio cabinet, or how I track goals. My readers have given me good advice, made fantastic recommendations, and just generally connected me to the human race.

****************

Don't worry. I have a book review coming out tomorrow.

****************

Congrats to all the people who completed NaBloPoMo! Thanks to everyone who commented regularly! Thanks to San for organizing all of it like the badass she is.

****************

What are you blogging plans for December? Anyone up for a 31/31 days of posting?  (No, not me.)


34 comments:

  1. Wow, what an accomplishment, Engie! Great job! I've been happy to follow along with you!
    I will probably take a little blogging break around the holidays, but otherwise, it's business as usual around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vow to be as consistent as you are even if I'm not posting daily!

      Delete
  2. Whew! I'm relieved that we get a post tomorrow because I'm sad to see this project come to an end. Because of you I always take note when I hear the word hat.

    For me the hard part is coming up with things to write AND the writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn it. Now I'm starting to think I should do a hat post tomorrow. Just for old times sake.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your yearlong project. It's something to be proud of, I'm in awe. I do like one of your conclusions: The hardest part, for me, is not the writing. I feel the same way. I can write about anything if I can think about it long enough, but I don't always want to be thinking. I'll be on hiatus during December, so I'll see 'ya next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking is immeasurably harder than writing, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! That's a huge achievement. Yes, let's do 31/31 in December- JUST KIDDING. I do have to say that I'm going to be a little lost without your daily posts. I'm so used to a post from you every day! I'm relieved that you're planning to post tomorrow.... so am I actually because it's the first Friday of the month, which means an Ultimate Coffee Date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to post a hat post tomorrow, but maybe I'll just let that tradition fall to the wayside. Looking forward to your usual Friday programming!

      Delete
  5. YOU ARE SUCH A SUPERSTAR! The scope of this project, and the dedication and creativity it must have required to complete it fill me with admiration. You DID IT.

    On the other hand: What am I going to do without your daily posts? We will all be lost, Engie! Lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certain you'll still get a lot of posts from me!

      Delete
  6. It's been a pleasure following along. I started reading your blog this year, so getting to know you this way has been a lot of fun.😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Kari. Now you'll see my regular lackadaisical posting approach.

      Delete
  7. Yay! Congratulations! I am glad it was manageable and was at a great time for you!

    LOL! And no to 31/31. Every day challenges make me too obsessive so I avoid them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my quarterly goals to write on my blog every day in the quarter because I obviously didn't take into account that the project would be finished at the end of November. It will bother me IMMENSELY if I don't do it, but my writing chops are exhausted. We'll see how it shakes it out.

      Delete
  8. I realize now as we're all patting ourselves on the back for doing 30 days - you have DONE A WHOLE YEAR. I now feel perfectly ridiculous. And you often post TWICE a day. Anyhoo, we all knew you were Super Blogger and this just seals the deal.

    Definitely not posting daily in December, but likely 5x/week. I don't really have many other hobbies so this is my one "me" activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even five times a week sounds painful right now. Go you!

      Delete
  9. Huzzah! You really accomplished quite a feat.

    I agree with so many of your points. It's not that the writing is hard; it's coming up with a decent subject. And I dislike that some of my better posts don't get the views or engagement that they deserve because of the feeding frenzy of daily posting and everyone posting every day.

    Every year I say I'll be better about posting and writing more often, but I always lapse into stretches of silence. Maybe this year will be different. We'll see. I sure did like finding out that I've Still Got It, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there have been times in my blogging life where posting once a month was all I had in me. Sometimes it comes and sometimes it doesn't! Hey, it's not a paying job, right?

      Delete
  10. So I've been following you for less than a year? I could have sworn it was more, and I thought blogging every day was just something you did.
    I did NaBloPoMo my first year of blogging, and I do remember thinking "wait, what if I write something good and nobody sees it because I have to post something else the next day?" I was okay doing NaBloPoMo alone for a few years, but having all the company and other posts to bounce off of this year made it a lot easier to keep going without too many days of "waaaah I don't know what to saaaaaay".
    Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! My regular blogging schedule is more like twice a week if I'm lucky. We'll see if I can pull out more than that this month!

      Delete
  11. I seem to come close to blogging daily, but it isn't a goal, and sometimes, I just like to miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how daily bloggers do it! You must have a lot more thoughts than I do.

      Delete
  12. You're the rockstar of rockstars, Engie. You did this daily blogging thing for a YEAR!!! It's still amazing to me but I love that you used it for some kind of structure during your unemployment. I think that worked out great (and now you have a job again and better things to do ;)).
    I loved having you for NaBloPoMo. I always love seeing your posts pop up in my Feedly!

    And no, I won't be blogging 31/31. Ha. Nobody will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thinks are definitely different with a job. Hopefully I can still blog regularly, but not AS regularly.

      Delete
  13. I've loved following along with you, NGS! No pressure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad people enjoyed the project. I'm also glad it's done!

      Delete
  14. Congrats on getting it done! I can't believe that you not only posted every day, but sometimes twice in one day! I have a hard time getting motivated to post once a week some weeks (although I guess that is the point, right, that you have to sometimes have the project in order to create motivation). I am looking forward to seeing what a non-themed NGS looks like in the upcoming months, and in ten years, will follow along again with your daily posts if you decide to do it again (but won't we all be retired and out having fun on a beach somewhere by then?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess for some of my new readers, the non-themed NGS is going to be quite a change! No more prompts! What DO I write about anyway?!

      Delete
    2. I am sure you will not run out of content, as some of your themes were hits I am sure, and you will likely continue them! I like to have a couple of monthly regulars and then some randoms personally, but I am sure this project has helped you weed out the worst and find the best!!

      Delete
  15. This is AMAZING. I can't believe you did it! Not only blogging every day for a year (which is a feat in itself) but having to follow your themes. It was probably both helpful and limiting, when you didn't know what to post about. I'm excited for what comes next for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what's next in my blog life, but daily posting is NOT it!! I'm excited to see what happens, too.

      Delete
  16. What an incredible project. And how wonderful that you enjoyed it and that it kept you company when work was so sh***y.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am going to miss your daily - and sometimes 2x daily - posts. It must have taken an incredible amount of energy and time to complete this project. How long did Best Friend make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I think Bestest Friend did like four or five posts. LOLOLOL. But I said I was going to do it, so I did it.

      Delete