Thursday, August 31, 2023

10.31 Activity - Scribe It

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the thirty-first day of the month is "Activity."

**********************

After reading Kaelyn's post about the Kindle Scribe, I talked to my husband about it and expressed some interest in going to Best Buy or the equivalent to check one out. I was interested in the idea of replacing my paper and pencil journal for goal tracking and have everything in one location. Well, then he surprised me by buying one for me for my birthday!

It's an interesting tablet that you can use as a Kindle for reading, but you can also create documents (what they call notebooks) where you can write notes. Those notes can be accessed as PDFs via your online Kindle storage or you can share them via email. Unfortunately, PDF is really the only export version of your notes, so if you wanted to add to your digital file after you've moved it off the Kindle, there's no real way to do that. 

And that's basically all that functionality that the Kindle Scribe has. It's a combo of a Kindle Paperwhite plus some built-in templates for notebooks. 

Here you can see what it looks like if you're using it to read books. Just like a regular Kindle, you can adjust font size and the backlight. You can also add handwritten sticky notes to your books (as well as typing notes like you would in a regular Kindle). I think the handwritten notes is the only functionality for reading that the Scribe has that  Paperwhite does not.

Unfortunately, the templates for the notebooks are pretty limited. There were eighteen available and most of them were just variants of grids (see above). I didn't see a template that could replace the bullet-type journal I use to track my goals, so I would basically have had to create it from scratch like I do in my paper and pencil version. I imagine in another two or three generations, Amazon will have added many more templates because there's real room for improvement here.

Also, oddly enough, despite the fact that I thought the Scribe was pretty big out of the box (Amazon says 10.2" display as compared to the 6.8" of the Paperwhite), I also thought that some of the templates weren't large enough. For example, the calendar (pictured above) would have been a lot better if it had used the space in a landscape-orientation and taken out the lines below it. As it stands, the boxes aren't large enough for my handwriting to be particularly useful. 

I will also say that it was heavier than I expected and using it to read was unwieldy. I'm definitely used to the smaller size of my Paperwhite and holding this in my hand was as cumbersome as reading a big hardcover novel. 

So I played around with it for a bit, but in the end I decided it wasn't worth the hefty price ($339 for a basic model, plus an upgrade for a nicer pen and a case) and sent it back. Maybe in another few years I'll reevaluate to see if they have made changes to make more suitable for my needs, but for now I think I'm going to be sticking with with my paper journal and my Paperwhite.

**********************

Have you seen the Scribe? Do you think it would be useful for you?

26 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of it before Kae. I am ALL about paper planning at this point. I know that makes me old and slow...but I just love paper (same with books; though for travel, having an e-reader is AMAZING).
    Sorry it didn't work out for you :( I don't think I'd have any interest since I am so paper-focussed when it comes to planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really prefer ebooks over physical books and I think the Scribe in theory is perfect for someone like me, but the reality is that the technology isn't quite there for me yet. I'll try again later.

      Delete
  2. I have never even heard of this before. I must have missed that post by Kae! Like Elisabeth I prefer paper planners to anything digital in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a PERFECT planner for my needs, I think I would really like it. As it stands, though, I find it annoying to have to set up a planner the way I want it. Oh, well. I'll keep on keeping on as it is.

      Delete
  3. Okay, i'm glad Elisabeth and Nicole commented first. I'm also all about pen and paper, and reading real books. I'm sure the youngsters will tell me why I'm doing it all wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there's nothing wrong with being old skool!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review! I don't think it would be useful to me, especially the weight and also the exporting to PDF part. I would like something that could turn my notes into typed words and then be able to export them somewhere else (my Keep app or maybe an email or whatnot).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the fact that it only exports as a PDF was the final nail in the coffin for me. It would have been ideal if you could continue to work on the document once it was removed from the Scribe itself.

      Delete
  5. I find PDFs clunky and unwieldy as a document format. Maybe that's just me. Like previous commenters, I use a pen on paper journal and read real books (preferably hardbacks). I'm very Old School when it comes to writing and reading. My husband is the opposite and wants everything digital and portable. Your husband was very sweet to buy you such a thoughtful gift. It's too bad it didn't suit your needs after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SUCH a thoughtful gift. I got a fancy popcorn maker as a replacement, though, and love it!

      Delete
  6. I must live under a rock because I've never heard of this. The concept sounds amazing, but if it's not gonna work for you, you made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it until Kae's post! I think that maybe someday it will fit into my life, but just not right now.

      Delete
  7. I love hearing that other people prefer paper planners to digital ones. I've found my people. 🖤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Welcome to the Luddites of the Interwebs right here in my comments section!

      Delete
  8. Oh I had no idea this existed! Thanks for the review! I don't think it would be useful for me. I like the smaller Kindle too and put all my notes in a notebook or google docs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that you can make notes on your Kindle. I use it a lot for my book reviews and to track what words I look up. I just wish this version were a tiny bit more versatile.

      Delete
  9. I only knew this existed because of Kae's previous post. And it did not sound like a fit to me as I am such tactile person when it comes to planning! I used a Wonderland 222. I just ordered my 2024 planner which is was more expensive than years past because I wanted the note pages in the back for taking notes. I used to use a very basic notebook for taking notes at work but now that I work in the office some days and at home other days, I've leaned really heavily on my planner as my place for notes/to dos/etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice that you have a paper planner that works for you. I guess maybe I should do more research into the perfect planner and ask for it for a Christmas present.

      Delete
  10. Hmm, this is interesting! I don't think it's something I'd find much use for, honestly. I don't do a ton of note-taking when I'm reading as it is. I do want to get the new Kindle Oasis, though! I hope it's not TOO much bulkier than my Paperwhite, as I like how lightweight my Paperwhite is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to hear what you think about an Oasis. I think the Paperwhite is the perfect ereader, but mine is starting to get glitchy and restart itself every so often, so I'm a bit nervous that it's just going to die on my someday!

      Delete
  11. Interesting assessment of the Scribe. I can see why you returned it. It sounds great in theory, but those boxes would be too small for my handwriting too. I like the idea of a tablet that you can use for handwriting, but I often find that if it doesn't fit into my planner, I just go to my laptop instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if I am a person who will ever give up my paper planner, but I like the idea of everything being stored in one place instead of the multiple locations I have right now. Maybe the tech will get better over time.

      Delete
  12. Oh, this is interesting! (I am behind on blog reading and just catching up now!) I'm glad my post at least inspired some food for thought, even if it didn't ultimately work out! I guess I felt like the 18 templates were actually kind of a lot? Although I am sure it's hard to find something to exactly replicate what you're using. I had thought the one with the big boxes and then lines to the right could be nice for goal setting, and I thought the idea of being able to hand write to-do lists, but electronically, was cool. But I also felt like it wouldn't really be for me. I currently am not a huge fan of reading on the Kindle, though I see its benefits for sure for certain situations! And I've moved to doing a lot of my "planning" on the computer in Google Keep/ Docs/ Calendar etc. I think the Scribe is a cool concept though and maybe for someone who starts out using it and develops systems with it, it could probably be really useful- or maybe for some people who travel a lot for work/ like the compactness of one device that can house many notebooks/ calendars etc all in one. I had really enjoyed my paper planning products but was finding the calendar boxes too small for all the various activities we have going on! So I ended up moving to digital where I basically have unlimited space. Sometimes I kind of miss certain aspects of paper, though.... but then I think of how often I need to make changes and updates, and digital seems so much more practical! I have been toying with getting a cheap monthly planner with nice big boxes and then just copying some things there so I can at least have that broad monthly view. I feel like my Google Calendar is amazing for a weekly view, but for big picture planning/ looking at the whole month, it's not as good for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you thought 18 templates was a lot! I think that most of them are more of a daily kind of tracker, but I track daily/weekly/quarterly, so I need something a bit more flexible than what was on offer. I could probably have figured out a way to have three of those templates used at any given time, but then it's more work than my current paper planner is!

      Anyway, thank you for introducing me to the Scribe. Maybe someday I'll actually get one!

      Delete
  13. Maybe my view is skewed, but this seems like a wonky combo to me. Why would I want an e-reader and notebook together? I'd rather have 2 separate devices. The digital notebook functionality would likely be MUCH improved if it weren't squished into the Kindle format/context. My TA for my summer class had a digital notebook that was much more functional than this. I'll have to look it up to remind myself of what it was. They loved it - they loved handwriting things but also appreciated that the files could be saved, and I *think* that one actually could "read" handwriting and translate to typed text. I'll share if I find the info...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it seems like a pretty good combo, actually. I like the idea of e-ink used for notes instead of having to deal with the blue light of a different type of tablet. I'd like to have just one device for notetaking and reading. However, because I want books to be relatively small (fit in my hand) and I thought this one was too big, I think I'm looking for something that can't exist because something large enough for my handwriting, but small enough to fit in my hand is...impossible.

      Delete