Tuesday, December 06, 2022

November 2022 Book List

This month started off dire. Lots of bad books. It mostly turned around by the end of the month, but things were dire for a hot minute.


11/1: Sunshine by Robin McKinley (library audiobook, 2003) - Such good worldbuilding for a one and done novel. If only that worldbuilding didn't threaten to put you to sleep all the time. 3/5 stars

11/3: Writers & Lovers by Lily King (library, 2020) - Book club book that made me want to initiate physical violence against someone. 2.5/5 stars

11/5: Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid (library, 2022) - A miss for me. Too much tennis, too little empathy from the main character. 2.5/5 stars

11/6: The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6) by Tana French (library ebook, 2016) - I did not care for this book. 2/5 stars

11/7: Storm Echo (Psy-Changeling Trinity #6) by Nalini Singh (library ebook, 2022) - Oh, a book that broke my bad book streak. A glorious return to form for this series, which is more than 20 books deep at this point. Sweet romance, great mystery in-world. 4/5 stars

11/7: A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by V.E. Schwab (library audiobook read by Steven Crossley, 2015) - Lackluster.  I will not be reading more of this. 2.5/5 stars

11/10: Bombshell (Hell's Belles #1) by Sarah MacLean (library ebook, 2021)  - This is purportedly the first in a series, but it's clearly in the middle of other series and I was absolutely confused and befuddled. I can see why folks like this take on historical fiction with its independent female lead and dreamy male hero, but it fell very flat for me. 2/5 stars

11/10: The Last Graduate (The Scholomance #2) by Naomi Novik (library, 2021) - I'm over reading. I'll never read again. Just seemed like a repeat of the first book. 2.5/5 stars

11/12: A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk and Robot #2) by Becky Chambers (library ebook, 2022) - I think I hate reading. I hate books. 2.5/5 stars

11/15: Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children #3) by Seanan McGuire (library ebook, 2019) - Not the best entry in the Wayward Children series. 3/5 stars

11/16: The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow (library, 2019) - Pretty good book. I liked the dog character a lot. 4/5 stars

11/19: Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants by Alison Maloney (library ebook, 2011) - I wanted this to be like How To Be Victorian, but instead it was superficial and might have been better as a magazine article. 3/5 stars

11/21: The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives by Dashka Slater (library ebook, 2017) - Heartbreaking, but somehow hopeful. 4.5/5 stars

11/23: The Ink Black Heart (Cormoran Strike #6) by Robert Galbraith (library, 2022)  - You know what, I really enjoyed this book.  4.5/5 stars

11/27: The Golden Enclaves (The Scholomance #3) by Naomi Novik (library 2022) - This was not good at all. I read it because it was the third book in a trilogy, but I did not enjoy it at all. 2/5 stars

11/28: Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie (library, 2017) - An interesting meditation on immigration and assimilation in the modern world. Not an easy read, though. 4/5 stars

11/30: The Royal We (Royal We #1) by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan (library, 2015) - Such a good book about a couple that's never going to make it. 4.5/5 stars

Total: 17 books
Average star rating: 3.12/5 stars

Did not finish:

Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney - Drugs, violence, gratuitous teenage sex, and murder. And it was only page 82 when I stopped. Not the book for me. DNF at 21.3%.

Charmed Life (Chrestomanci #1) by Diana Wynee Jones - Beloved YA fantasy series that I couldn't connect with because of adults who don't tell children important things and children being brats. DNF at 21%.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad the month ended well at least. I did like Writers and Lovers, but no need to argue over it. Now I want to read Ten Thousand Doors of January, and I'm in the middle of The 57 Bus right now- so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely in the minority on Writers & Lovers. The 57 Bus was so powerful!

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you ended things on a higher note. My month wasn't quite as dire as yours, but I did abandon 2 books in one day towards the end of the month! And I didn't have as many stellar reads as I usually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can agree that November was just not a great month for us reading-wise. Let's hope for a better December!

      Delete
  3. 3.12! Eeks. That is a definite sign of a lackluster reading month. Sorry that so many of these books didn't work for you. I hope December is going much better.

    ReplyDelete