Thursday, November 03, 2022

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

On my recent road trip to Columbus, I downloaded three audiobooks from the library because I was so nervous I was going to run out of things to listen to. One of them, as suggested by r/fantasy's Top Books by Women list, was Sunshine by Robin McKinley. The audiobook was narrated by Laural Merlington.

Rae Sedden works at her family's coffeehouse as a baker. (If I had a paper version of the book, I would have searched how many times "bake cinnamon buns" came up, but it must have been like eight hundred, by my estimate.) But then she's kidnapped by vampires and shackled next to an also shackled vampire in an abandoned home by the lake. She uses some of her latent magic skills to escape with the vampire prisoner, but even when she returns home, the Others have their eyes on her. 

Robin McKinley's worldbuilding is second to none. It's obvious that she has thought about this world and has deep internal mythology about it. But there's a lot of Rae internal monologuing to us about the world and not enough showing us of the world. The big three Others are vampires, weres, and demons. I know this because she described it a million times, but we never saw weres or demons and I feel like they could have been worked into the story. This is McKinley's writing twitch - Rae finds a "fetch" and just immediately starts describing what it does instead of letting us see it. It's annoying, makes me think the author thinks I'm stupid, and makes this book four hundred pages long when it could have been a tight two fifty.

I can see why people like this book. In this book, vampires are dangerous, not cute little fluffy bunnies like in Buffy or Twilight. It's gritty, dark, and super scary whenever vampires are on the scene. It's an intriguing thought about what laws human governments would pass if dangerous creatures like this did exist and what a human law enforcement agency would be able to do. It's all really excellent in theory. It's just that the execution made me want to go to sleep on I-90 and that's probably not the best solution for a road trip.

I did power through and finish this, but I am not sure it was the best use of my road trip time.

3/5 stars

11 comments:

  1. Ha, well I'm glad you didn't fall asleep on the interstate. I've never been into vampire literature, and it sounds like this probably isn't the book to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not recommend this one to start at all. I'm not sure where I'd send someone interested in vampire lit (Interview with a Vampire? Sookie Stackhouse books? Dracula?), but it's not really an interest of mine, so there are probably better suggestions out there.

      Delete
    2. I really liked the Sookie Stackhouse series. I almost forgot those. So if you want to try vampire literature I would recommend them. I rented the audiobooks from the library and really enjoyed every single one.

      Delete
  2. It took me a while to realize that the sprawling, many layered epic historical fiction books I liked to read were not great for me to listen to on road trips - I initially thought, "Oh I have this thirteen hour road trip, what a great time to get through this door stopper that was on my TBR." Then I would drift off and didn't pay attention and I couldn't just page back to figure out who that character was and I'd get annoyed. And so I changed my tactic and this was how I came to the Hunger Games trilogy. Mysteries, thrillers (but not scary ones), and dystopian teen fiction seem to be my road trip books of choice. Also How to Train Your Dragon because... kids. But they are pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed some epic audiobooks. At one point, I listened to the first three books of A Song of Ice and fire! I just think this one wasn't for me. But I do agree that when I was listening to a YA series about gryphons last month, it was a lot easier to listen.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been able to get into audio books. I think I would start daydreaming. I find the visual much easier but I think it would be a good way to get through more books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand not being on board for audiobooks. I listen to a lot of podcasts, so it sort of turns on a different part of the brain listening to nonfiction v. fiction.

      Delete
  4. Oh that is a bummer. I had such an audiobook myself lately. In the end you are always smarter. While in it I always hope the big reveal happens in the last few pages and I stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no big reveal with this one, but that reddit list has led to me to some great finds, so I was hoping it would turn around. Oh, well. Now I know.

      Delete
  5. I do wish I could listen to audiobooks. I tried last month and could not stay focus. I had to focus on my driving. :-) I'd rather pick up a book and read it. Right now I am reading "A Special Place for Women" and so far am liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that audiobooks aren't for everyone. I wish I could listen to music, but I find it frustrating a lot of the time, so I rely on audiobooks or podcasts to get me through long trips in the car.

      Delete