Thursday, November 03, 2022

1.3 Direction - One Fewer Worry

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a post on a pre-determined theme we chose from a random noun generator. The theme for the third day of the month is "Direction."

*****************

I'm on the board of directors at a local community center. It is a stressful gig for me and I desperately want to no longer be on the board, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Anyway, our very much beloved executive director put in her resignation earlier this year and gave us lots of notice and we still were having a lot of trouble finding someone. There are reasons for this, but basically we pay crap and offer no benefits.  

We have made two offers in the past month or so and the offers have been declined. So we made another offer last week and I really just assumed we'd get the same result. We did not. She accepted! She's a local who's returning to the area after a decade away, she knows lots about running organizations with small staffs, and I think it will be a great fit. Yay!  I'm excited to see how the organization moves forward under new leadership and to see what direction it will go.  

Onwards and upwards. 

****************

To see what Bestest Friend has to say about Direction, check out her blog Too Legit To Quit.

16 comments:

  1. Are you being paid anything to be on this board? Or is it a volunteer gig you're doing out of the goodness of your heart? How did you get roped into this anyway? Well, I'm glad you have one less thing to worry about- sounds like you found the perfect person for this job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a volunteer gig. It's a long story how I got roped in, but I'm in deep now and I'm not sure how to dig myself out. It will definitely be something I try to do next year.

      Delete
  2. Whoop! Congrats on finding the right person especially with the burden of crap pay and benefits. Onward and upward toward you getting out and/or hopefully the new person will make it less stressful for you to stay in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if this person is as good as she says she is, then hopefully a lot of my stress will ease. Or it will get worse! Who knows?

      Delete
  3. That's amazing that you found someone who will dedicate their time and effort to the community center. I mean, it's important work and that often doesn't get compensated enough (or not at all, as in your case).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were really lucky she applied and doesn't need benefits. Fingers crossed it is a good fit!

      Delete
  4. Phew. Glad you found someone! I was on my run club's board for 2 years and was the president the final year. I was so glad to be done when my term was up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I'm president and I don't feel like I can just up and leave, but I really do want to just up and leave. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I can SO relate to being sort of "stuck" in a volunteer role. I'm the Volunteer Coordinator for the whole swim team, and it's just soooo much work. It's also the role that everyone loves to hate, because I end up being the "bad guy" constantly asking families to volunteer more, or having to enforce the team policies, etc. It's just kind of bad all around. Yet, it's a crucial role, and I am actually pretty good at it by now (in my 4th year). (Without hosting the swim meets + volunteers, our team budget would literally implode. So, it's in everyone's best interest to help out, if they want their kid to have a team to swim on (that doesn't cost 5x what it does now)! But of course, no one really understands that.... despite plenty of information/ explanation on how things like this work!) We also have the same situation where no one wants to take it over, so then I keep getting roped in yet again. I have told them now that I will do this year and that is IT. I am going to draw a hard line after this year- no more!

    I hope you can find a way to get out of your role. That's exciting that you guys were able to hire a new director!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this organization has three three-year terms, so it's possible I could be doing this for another five years. I do not want to do that, but it's hard to bow out and not leave the organization in a lurch, as you know.

      Delete
  6. ah its never good to hold an office that your heart is not in anymore. That said it is also always more behind that than you share online here. So all I want to day I hope you fid a good way to find a decison on how to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed the new ED makes the job a little easier!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the hire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great news that someone got hired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phew! I am so glad someone got hired! I hope this will take a lot of pressure off you, and that you can start to figure out a way to leave the board, since it doesn't seem to be something you enjoy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAYAYAY for finding someone! And kudos to you for sticking with the board. You are a better person than I am. I would be figuring out any way I could to get out of it...

    ReplyDelete