Wednesday, November 02, 2022

1.2 Entertainment - A Weekend in Columbus, Ohio

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Every day we will write a post on a pre-determined theme we chose from a random noun generator. The theme for the second day of the month is "Entertainment."

****************

I have not seen my Bestest Friend since COVID. Her parents both died, her son grew up into a giant, and I have missed so much. So I took the last weekend in October and spent two full days with her.  I drove in on a Friday and drove home on a Monday.  

The first stop I made was to get my beloved Doc Popcorn for the road. It's officially a road trip when I can drop popcorn kernels all over the car.

Friday night, I arrived late after a long drive, checked into my rather depressing Air BnB, and went over to see my friend briefly, but we're both old and I was exhausted, so we really started the next morning.

Day 1

First up, I woke up and did some yoga because I had been driving so long the day before. It felt pretty good to stretch it out. Then I picked up my friend and her son and we went to Wendy's for breakfast before we really started our big day.


Stop 1:

Bestest Friend uses the public library as much as I do and she decided we should go to a library to get a pass for the Columbus Museum of Art. You guys!  The first thing we did was go to two libraries, talk to librarians, and goof off in libraries. If you wonder why she's my Bestest Friend, now you know. (The fifteen-year-old boy humored us by taking photos for us. Bless him.)


Stop 2:

We got to the museum about ten minutes before opening, so we wandered around taking photos with the art. Once we got inside (we paid nothing! even parking was free! because of the library!), there was art. 

"Art" = "bike racks," in this case. 

The Mountain by Aristide Maillol (special guest: me).

One of our favorite exhibits was about LEGO. 


But there was other stuff.

I can't find the name of this piece, but I'm 90% the artist is Nick Cave. I 100% apologize if this is incorrect.

The museum was not a huge hit with the teenager, but the two of us olds loved it, as I'm sure you can imagine. 

Stop 3:

After a quick trip to Sonic (the second time for me in as many weeks - I'm getting spoiled), We went to the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, which was full of pumpkins and children dressed in costumes. As you can imagine, I also loved it. The teenager had been dropped off at a friend's house, so we wandered about and had a grand old time. We had gotten free tickets through the library, as well and I highly recommend you try to do this if you're going to go there. General admission is $22/person and I think that's a bit steep, to be completely honest.


Just a note that I'm wearing the red paisley scarf here. Because of course I am.

Stop 4:

After this, everyone was pretty tired, so we went back to Bestest Friend's house to let the dog out and just get off our feet for a tiny bit because then we went to Fear Columbus, a haunted house. My friend's 15-year-old son had been waiting for it all day and it did not disappoint. It was amazing. (It was also approximately a million decibels and I should have brought along earplugs, so if you are ever going to the event in the future, do yourself a favor and bring some ear protection.) My friend and her son had never been to a haunted house and it was so fun to watch their reactions!

You guys. He's fifteen and already a head taller than us.

We couldn't really take photos, but I snuck this one. Spooky street signs!

At this point, we were all exhausted, so I dropped them off at home and headed back to the Air BnB, where I wrote up this post and then collapsed into a puddle of exhaustion. 

Day Two

Our itinerary for the second day was much less ambitious because we were all a bit worn out from so much excitement the previous day and my friend and her son had work and school the next day, so we definitely couldn't fit in another evening activity. 

Stop One:

We went to Amy's Donuts to get the necessary sugar to get us through the day. I got a buckeye flavor (chocolate and peanut butter), maple walnut, pumpkin spice, and a cherry fritter.  Not a bad one in the bunch.


Stop Two: 

We went to Batelle Darby Creek, which is pretty close to the donut place. The Nature Center there is really cool and the teenage boy was surprisingly into it. They have a living river exhibit that allowed him to touch the water and the animals, a room full of pelts of various animals you could touch (snowshoe hare and beaver were soooo soft), and aquariums full of animals we could look at.  I was very pleasantly surprised at how entertained all three of us were here. I was also incredibly amused because the teenager carried the donut boxes around and when we went outside the three of inhaled donuts like we'd never eaten before.

Petting a turtle!

I swear to you that my friend did take a better photo of me where I'm smiling, but I like this one. I look like a serial killer. I find it surprisingly flattering, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

But, the real reason we went to this park is because there were bison to see!!  We walked maybe half to three-quarters of a mile to see these guys and they were snoozing. I have to admit that my friend said they were a tad underwhelming, but I thought they were cool. The teen boy had a much better time at this park than I would have anticipated. He enjoyed the telescope things to look at birds, finding woolly bear caterpillars, and petting the dogs along the trail. 

When you gotta nap, you gotta nap.

At this point, we headed back to my friend's house. Some people took naps, some people wrote postcards (ahem), some people played with the dog, and some people graded.

But then I took the fifteen-year-old and let him practice driving my car around and around in circle in a parking lot. We practiced parking, braking, and turning. We never got above 30 miles per hour. He described it as "a lot of fun," and since I drove with my other friend's daughter a couple of months ago as the designated "responsible adult" on her temp license, I think I'm settling into the role as "cool adult who will let you drive her car because she's too stupid to say no."  

We had dinner and then I headed back to the Air BnB, where I wrote this post and will probably fall asleep in a matter of ten minutes.

The weather was gorgeous this weekend. I could not have asked for anything better from Ohio at the end of October. There's still lots of Columbus we didn't do - the zoo, North Market, and Otherworld, to name a few - but I think we got a lot of the highlights. I'm definitely looking forward to doing it again soon. 

****************
To see what Bestest Friend has to say about Entertainment, check out her blog Too Legit To Quit.

34 comments:

  1. Only you could incorporate the word BISON into two consecutive posts. Kudos on that.

    I also think that the serial killer picture is flattering and the rug underneath looks like a puddle of some bodily fluid that will wind up as part of the crime-scene evidence. Thanks for taking my mind to such a place before 10 am.

    What a hoot to read all of this - please come teach my teenagers how to drive when the time comes because I am dreading this so much already! - and I'm SO glad you got to see your bestie and enjoy some Doc's Popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the photo from yesterday was taken at the same place, so it's really the same activity!

      I LOVE teenagers, I'm finding. My teenage niece and nephews are pure joy and I'm really liking my friends' teenagers, too. I was a terrible driver early on and really just needed someone steady in the passenger's side to help me get experience and I don't mind doing that for the teenagers I know. I think it's fun to see them gain confidence as they learn things. Fortunately, it's still quite a ways out for you! Maybe you can convince your husband that it should be *his* job!

      Delete
  2. This trip sounds AMAZING, through and through! There is nothing like seeing good friends! I love that you are the designated driving partner for teens -- what an awesome thing to do for your friends and the teens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great trip and I'm super glad I went and I hope the teenager remembers me fondly someday when I'm old and doddering!

      Delete
  3. What a great little trip! I'm so glad you were able to go, and had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun and I'm just glad the weather held for us - it made all the difference.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful weekend! I'm so happy that you got to spend time with your friend AND you got to do so many fun things! I'm amazed at the variety of doughnuts! I didn't know what a buckeye was, and now I do, and I love that flavour combo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOhhhh, buckeyes are a midwestern staple. We make peanut butter balls (it's really PB, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla) and then dip them in melted chocolate. They're delicious and look impressive while being very easy to do. The next time I make them, I'll post about them because I think everyone should know about them.

      Delete
  5. Bestest Friend sounds like a fun person- I'll definitely check out her blog. This whole trip sounds great. I wish I could see the Lego exhibit at the museum! And I wish you had been here to practice driving with my son, ha ha. Driving with teenagers isn't my favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I only let the teenager drive in a parking lot. The highest speed he got to was probably 30 miles per hour, so I am not THAT brave!

      Delete
  6. My old company had an office in CBUS so I used to get to go there once in a while. Unfortunately all that I did there was work:-( so I've never really gotten to hang out. I hear that it's a really neat place.

    My thing this year has been fairly short road trips and I'm loving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should really take a page from your book and start doing overnight trips locally. There are so many great county and state parks within a few hours drive of my house and I have been to so few. Maybe I'll add it as a goal for next year.

      Delete
  7. Best Friend Time is so good for the soul. I am so happy that you got to spend a whole weekend together and how much fun you had. <3

    I am kinda in love with that pumpkin-Christmas-tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some of the gourd constructions were really intricate and fun. If you're ever in Columbus around this time, Franklin Park Conservatory is worth a looksee!!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like such a fun trip and spending time with good friends is the best anyway. We can check out museum tickets at our library, too and I really love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there was a program where we could maybe get tickets to the zoo and a museum at our library, but I just checked the website and it doesn't seem like that's the case anymore, of it is, it's not well advertised. Maybe I'll ask a librarian the next time I'm there.

      Delete
  9. You are still kids and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take it! I AM just a kid still.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like such a fun weekend. So many different things and adventures and then you got to meet up again. The joy comes across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was so wonderful and I hope we can do it again sometime.

      Delete
  12. What a great library. I'm a big fan of a public library. Currently, I'm using e-libraries more but I really do like the heft of a physical book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely take more advantage of my libraries electronic offerings these days, but it is fun to go inside sometimes.

      Delete
  13. That library is so cool! I am envious of your ability to talk to librarians. I know you have said you are a hard core introvert. I am an introvert but I am an outgoing introvert and yet I have never talked to the librarians aside from greeting them when we see them each week. I need to overcome this but I worry I am bothering them. My questions would be about kid lit and I worry that the people there on Sat am don't specialize in kid lit. But I'll never know if I don't freaking talk to them. I'm so weird about stuff like this!

    Sounds like a wonderful getaway! It sounds like the teen had fun, too. That is very cool to be the drivers ed kind of friend. My brother was the first person to teach me to drive. He was very low key about it which is a good vibe to have when teaching someone to drive. I am so high strung that surely I will not be low key when my boys learn to drive 10+ years from now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point about the introvert/extrovert scale. I tend to think of librarians as safe people. LOL. They are generally nerds like me and so I don't feel anxious asking them for recommendations or help using library resources. They WANT to help and if they can't help, they will know where to go to get what I need. I definitely would just ask someone at the reference/information desk at your library if you have questions. I tend not to ask at the circulation desk because those people are busy all the time. Also, even our small town has a children's librarian and her email is on the website - maybe you could just email a librarian if you don't want to talk to them?

      Delete
  14. I love that you finally got some time with your girlfriend, which is always good for your soul. You are right, her child is a giant. But in the best way...boys grow so fast!
    I've never heard of Doc Popcorn, but I'm a fan of most any popcorn.

    How cool to get those entries free from your library? I had no idea.

    For the record, you are the cutest serial killer I've ever known. 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doc Popcorn is a national thing, but has relatively few locations. One is on the tollroad in Illinois and whenever I pass by it, I get some jalapeno, better butter, and caramel and mix it up into a delicious concoction. This time I bought the Chicago mix (caramel/cheddar) instead of plain caramel and that really hit the spot. Pre-pandemic, you could mix flavors in one bag, so I'd just buy one big bag, but now they flavors are pre-bagged, so I have to buy multiple bags to get my preferred mix. I might be a popcorn junkie.

      Delete
  15. Awww, this is so great!!! I'm so glad you had a fun weekend getaway. I agree with you that the "crawling photo" is flattering, despite being kind of a random pose! The haunted house sounds so fun. As you know, I just did the haunted forest and loved it. For some reason I feel like an actual haunted house (like what you did) might be even scarier than what we did, but in reality, ours was like a haunted forest and haunted house in one (we had to go through lots of "houses"/ buildings, too). So I think if I could handle this, I could probably handle a haunted house. I haven't been to an actual "haunted house" since high school! I think my boys will want to try some of the ones around in the next few years, so I should get ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did a haunted house at the Fairgrounds in Milwaukee that was really fun one year. I think you're probably tough enough to take it on!

      Delete
  16. Like Lisa, I'm very impressed with your ability to easily talk to librarians! As a very shy introvert, I barely say a word to mine other than to get my books, haha. I want to be better about talking to them, but I just worry I'm bothering them (in true Enneagram 9 fashion!)

    Anyway, what a fun weekend with your BFF. I love weekends like this and I am sure it was so, so good to have this time with your BFF after so many years away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both of us were a bit nervous that the years might have changed things between us, but things were so normal - just like always! It was really wonderful and I'm so happy I went.

      Delete
  17. What a lovely time you had with your friend and her son! You saw bison? Wow! That is also pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The bison were RIGHT there. It was pretty cool and I recommend that park if you're ever in the Columbus area.

      Delete
  18. Isn't it fun reconnecting and just picking right up where you left off? Friends like that are the best. Also, teenagers. There's a reason they're my most favorite age group/developmental stage. Well, them, and emerging (or young) adults. :)

    ReplyDelete