Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Wearing Scarves: A Tutorial (As Requested)

A while back I posted A Mob of Scarves about all my scarves and Suzanne asked about a scarf wearing tutorial which I found hilarious. I don't know if I have much to actually teach about the topic, but I went through my old photos and tried to find examples of me wearing my scarves so you'd know I wasn't lying.

(If you want, you can also attempt to date all of these photos based on the eyeglasses I'm wearing. It's a fun game!)

Part I: I Wear Scarves Everywhere and Anytime!

1) My friend Essen gave me this red paisley scarf so long ago. I don't remember why, but I do know I got this scarf from her, along with a Turkish tea set. And I just wear it with everything and anything and have for YEARS. I chose this photo to go first because I wore a scarf to a dog training class. That's how I do. I don't think of scarves as "fancy," I think of them as, you know, a daily accessory.

October 2019 - I love this photo and I think it's flattering to both me and Hannah.

But, and this is serious, I also wore the same scarf in my profile photo that I use for all work events.

March 2020

To wear the scarf, I honestly just have one loose loop and allow the ends to drape down. Easy peasy.

I am posting the below photo because it's the earliest one I have of the red paisley AND I realized I was wearing black with it in the other photos, but I definitely wear this scarf with other colors.  The photo below was a photo I used in a lot of professional settings in graduate school.

February 2011

2) Another popular scarf that I wear A LOT is my leopard print infinity scarf. I bought it years ago in Chicago when I was there for a training and I had packed way too lightly for how cold it was, but it has turned into one of my most worn garments. Here I am wearing it a friend's house after a high school football game.

January 2017

My cup runneth over on photos of me wearing this scarf, but I tried not to have other people in the photos. I don't know if I need to out my friends. 

January 2013 - I swear there's probably water or something in that cup. I don't drink

I think infinity scarves are a great entry-level scarf. To wear it, you really just wrap it around your neck. I generally loop the leopard print one around twice if it's really just for the look, but three times if I am cold. Since I am wearing sweaters in both of the above photos, it's wrapped around three times and the scarf is essential to keeping me warm. 

3) I don't wear the purple paisley as often as I wear the red one, but I assure you, it has its place in my life. This was taken on our anniversary this year and I assure you, I did not changes clothes for the photo op. I wear this one the same way I wear the red scarf, generally.  

May 2022

But both of these scarves can be wrapped much tighter if you need them to be warmth catchers. See below.

October 2019

4) Some of you doubted my summerweight scarf collection, but here is me wearing my green and white one. The child in this photo is now double digits years old.  How embarrassing for him to see this photo.  Anyway, it's clearly warmer weather since I'm wearing short sleeves, but a scarf is always necessary, right? I have no idea what this occasion was, but I think it was just a regular visit back to visit the in-laws.

April 2011

5) Sometimes I don't even wrap the scarf.  See below. Sometimes I actually just tie a knot in the bottom. The child in this photo is now a teenager. What a life.

May 2010

6) I do want to show another summerweight scarf because I want to stress how absolutely normal it is for me to wear a scarf every month of the year. (This scarf wasn't in my original scarf roundup because it lives in my campus office now, but I do still have it.) I travel with scarves and I wore it when Bestest Friend and I went to New York in 2011. They're really useful when flying because planes are usually cold and even if I don't need the scarf to use as a blanket, I can also use it as a pillow. They're also super useful because the AC is usually way too cold in most public buildings for the likes of me.

Summer 2011 in NYC 

Part II: Scarves for Beginners

In this section, I dressed myself in a neutral background and decided that I'd show you how I style three different types of scarves. These photos were all taken in September 2022, so I'm more than ten years older than in the previous photo, so try not to compare too much.

1) Infinity scarves

I think infinitely scarves are the easiest intro into scarf wearing after a scarf like the red paisley that I honestly think you can't mess up. You can just wrap them up two or three times like in photos from #3 in part I, but you can also do a quick faux-necktie knot.

Step 1: Hold the scarf out behind your head horizontally. 
Step 2: Open one side of the scarf and slide the other side into the open side.
Step 3: Pull the end hanging down further down.
Step 4: Yoke up on the top like you would a tie. You're done!

2) Square scarves

Square scarves a bit trickier and more advanced. You basically fold it diagonally into rectangles and then just tie it around your neck. I think it's a jaunty look and it takes a bit of confidence to pull it off. I generally don't wear these too often because these are around my neck a bit tighter than I like.  Regardless, it's an adorable look. (Also, I should probably have ironed this scarf before I used it as my example, but I didn't. This is REAL LIFE here.)

3) Long, skinny scarves 

These are as easy as infinity scarves. You can just use them as a fun belt on a pair of pants that don't need a belt or you can just tie them.  Easy peasy. These are purely decorative and serve no functional purpose. 

Let's play "I Spy." Dog toys? Guitar? Unopened package? Unfolded blanket on the couch? 


I took this photo eight zillion times. This is the most in focus I could get. I need a photographer. 

What's your favorite accessory? Is it also a red paisley scarf? Can you take a full length photo of yourself in focus? Maybe someone should do a tutorial for me on that. 

14 comments:

  1. Oooh I am here for this. I love scarves, although I don't have such an extensive collection as you do! I like blanket scarves in the winter, so cozy. I love all your scarves and the way you wear them. I used to have quite a few small square scarves, and I wonder what happened to them? I haven't worn them since the early 2000s. I think it's such a cute and jaunty look as well. Although I usually wear scarves to keep warm. I have a beautiful gold-and-green scarf that is similar to your red paisley one, and it makes me very happy. This was so fun to read! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think we're coming into the time of year when scarves really shine. I mostly wear them to stay warm, too, but I think it's nice to have some that are purely decorative. I'm going to keep my eye out for the gold-and-green scarf sighting on your blog.

      Delete
  2. Love this - such a fun read and I love how the story of your scarf wearing weaves over so many special memories!
    I do NOT wear scarves at all. I have a short neck and they just look...weird on me. I also dislike the sensation of something around my neck, too.
    My only go-to accessory (other than my wedding band and engagement ring) are earrings. I wear earrings 360 days of the year, I suspect. No other rings, no necklaces...but always, always earrings.
    Also, let's reflect on what a fun word "jaunty" is!
    I am terrible at selfie's or anything that requires me to be in a photograph...I can usually get them in focus, but I feel/look so awkward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really weird about things around my neck. I rarely wear necklaces for this reason because they're always so tight. I also don't have a lot of crewneck shirts or sweaters, either, because I feel like they're strangling me!

      I think scarves are to me what earrings are to you. I will frequently go days without putting in my earrings, but rarely a day goes by that I'm not looking for a scarf.

      Delete
  3. I love this post, too! You are so pretty and are great at accessorizing with scarves! I so very very very rarely wear scarves outside of wool ones worn with winter jackets that I sometimes wrap around my neck face in such a way that you can only see my eyes since I always wear stocking hats, too. I am a naturally cold person, too, though, so I have a big scarf at work that I wear more as a shawl for maximum warmth! I have one other infinity scarf that I will sometimes wear. It's olive green with black glasses on it and I think it is so cute! But it doesn't so with everything and I kind of forgot I had it until I went through our coat closet last week! So I will be pulling that out to wear this fall/winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a cold person, too. I think that's why I started wearing scarves. In a pinch, you can pull if off your neck and wear it as a blanket! I definitely keep a scarf at my desk at work, too. I also kept a spare cardigan in my desk. I think the AC freezes me out a lot!

      Delete
  4. I have to laugh- I used the word "jaunty" in my post today as well, and I never use that word! It's obviously a jaunty kind of day. I never wear scarves, but maybe I should because I have a weirdly LONG neck (the opposite of Elisabeth.) But I also don't like the feel of things around my neck. This was a fun post though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a jaunty day! I don't use it much, either, but maybe it'll have a comeback. It's such a fun word.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE THIS POST SO MUCH. These photos are so cute, and I love that you wear scarves all year round. Thank you for the tutorial! I think I have mastered the long skinny scarf, but the infinity ones still mystify me, despite your photos! I think maybe I am buying the wrong scarves? They are so thick and it makes me feel a little like I'm drowning? Perhaps I should send you my scarves so that they will appreciated instead of languishing in my closet, except when I try them on and then immediately yank them off my neck and throw them back on the pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you really do need to find the right size and material of scarf for you. I had an infinity scarf from Litographs that was just too short and if I wrapped it twice around my neck, I thought I was being strangled. I'm also not a huge fan of poly blends for scarves. I do have some "overwhelming" scarves that make me feel a little bit like I'm drowning, too. Maybe I'll do another tutorial covering those. :)

      Delete
  6. I love this post! I am an irregular scarf wearer. I have quite a few - winter and summer scarves - and I have knitted my own, but my collection is not as extensive as yours and I always go through phases when I wear scarves. They're definitely more of a winter accessory for me, but I also have a few nice summer scarves (I haven't had much opportunity to wear). Do you even wear a scarf at home?;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun post. I apparently missed the previous post where you mentioned and showed all you scarfs. I am a fellow scarf wearer. However ever yinsce I astrtaed working from home it has reduced a lot. But There used to be a time when I would not leave the house without one. And if that ever happened I kinda felt naked.
    I like the tutorials too. I wear them the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I'm in awe. Seriously. You look lovely in all eras, for one thing (how did you pull THAT off?) and your scarf game is on point. I... yeah. I could never look as stylish as you do - these scarves do an amazing job of really *making* an outfit, methinks.

    So I shall leave the scarf-wearing to the experts, and will retreat to my corner with my unstylish necklines. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun post!!
    I saw a few months ago where some woman said Infinity scarves were out and I was all oh hell no!
    We can hardly wear them in Florida most of the year (I'm already hot) but in GA, I love wearing them in the cooler months. It's almost like a security blanket in case I'm chilly, or if I don't love my outfit. Yours are really cute--all of them

    ReplyDelete