Tuesday, July 12, 2022

A Mob of Scarves

A recent post with all of my shoes has been relatively popular. I have started using the "how many pairs of shoes do you own?" as an icebreaker when I meet new people and I think it says a lot about you how you answer that question.  Some people pause and start counting in their heads, some people laugh and suggest that they have so many they don't want to count, and some people can give an exact answer right away. It's fascinating. I started thinking about how many scarves I had when I wrote a recent post about multiples. Anyway, the dirty secret is that I have more scarves than shoes and here's a rundown of all my scarves.  (Also, this does not include my winter scarves that are stored with the winter gear. There's probably a half a dozen of those.)

As I went through this, I realized I could/should donate a bunch of them that I don't wear very much, so I guess this was a good exercise for me. 

The Ones I Wear the Most


1. Red paisley - This is by far the scarf I wear the most. It's versatile and I wear it probably 25% of the days of the year. It was a gift from someone I helped out in grad school and I've worn it in dozens of photos over the years, people always compliment it, and I always give her credit for purchasing it. 

2. Purple dandelion fluff infinity scarf - I bought this at an adorable shop in Columbus when I was visiting one of my friends. I wear it a lot, particularly in the winter.

3. Black scarf with flowers and fringe - I got this from a friend after her mom died. I once asked her if it was weird when she saw me wearing it and she said it made her happy and reminded her of her mom. Do I have a problem with the fact that my fashion sense aligns with that of a woman who was my own mother's age?  Well...

4. Green and white summerweight scarf - Definitely my most used summer scarf. The lightweigh material and light colors make it a perfect summer accessory.

5. Purple paisley - For when the matching red one just isn't bold enough.  

Infinity Scarves

6. Grey infinity scarf - I wear this in the summer relatively regularly.

7. Green and black infinity scarf - This was a gift and I honestly don't wear it too much because it itches a bit. Maybe I should donate it? Ugh. The emotional nature of gifts is challenging.

8. Blue Love Michigan scarf - I impulse bought this when I was shopping with my mom at Bronner's. I've never worn it and I sometimes think about donating it, but I also think donating it locally might not be the best idea, so it stays.

9. Litographs scarf with text from The Secret Garden - I don't wear this one because it's too short. I can only really layer it once comfortably and if I loop it twice, it's too tight on my neck. Because of this, I rarely wear it. I could donate it, I suppose, and probably will before too long.

10. Animal print scarf - This is actually probably the second most common scarf I wear after the red paisley one. I'm obsessed with it. I bought it on a trip to Chicago because I was super underdressed and freezing and it's one of the most the most versatile accessories I own. 

11. Dark grey scarf - This is super warm and I wear it quite frequently in the winter, particularly on days when I'm just lounging around the house.

Scarves I Use as Belts (as I was writing this, it turns out I could probably donate every scarf in this category and not be missing much)

11 & 12. Black and brown sparkly - I wore these a lot more in the early 2000s as belts. I haven't worn them in years, though, so perhaps it's time to pass them on to someone who will use them more than I do.

13. Purple sparkly - This was a gift and I wear it around my waist when I wear particular dresses.  

14. Purple abstract - Another one I wore a lot more in the early 2000s. I've worn it as an actually scarf a handful of times and it's a bit slippery and moves around a lot.  

15. Brown with pink flowers - I want to love this scarf more than I do. It rarely seems to fit the mood of anything I'm wearing.

16. Pink with flowers - I was wearing this the day I met my husband's family. I don't wear it much anymore, but I will never get rid of it.  

Summerweight Scarves


17. Tie dye scarf - I bought this at a garage sale for a steal, but rarely wear it. I should probably donate it.

18. Cream silk - Another scarf from my friend's mom. This one doesn't get worn as often, but I have worn it to several dressier events.

19. Black and red stripes - I bought this at a vintage shop for hardly anything, but have never worn it because I have my beloved red paisley.  This should also probably be donated.

20. Light pink - I wear this way too often in the summer. It's just in the mudroom all the time and if I'm going somewhere and I might get cold because of AC or whatever, I just grab it.

21. Black with bold flowers - This was a gift. It's not really my style, but I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon.

Winterweight Scarves (I hardly wear any of these)

22. Light brown scarf - I have no idea where this came from, but I almost never wear it and I think the color is kind of ugly. I'll donate this with no reservations.

23. Blue paisley - Since I have a red and purple paisley, you'd think I'd wear this one more. I do not.

24. Purple Celtic knot scarf - My sister gave this to me as a bridesmaid present. I've only worn it a couple of times, but I'll probably keep it for sentimental reasons.

25. Dark brown scarf - I really don't wear this and it could be donated, too.

26. Green Irish scarf - This was a present from my sister, too. This color is absolutely dreadful on me and makes me look yellow, so I've never worn. Will I be able to convince myself to donate it?  That's the real mystery.

Square Scarves

26. Orange and brown square scarf - I used to wear this when I had a brown dress, but I got rid of the dress and still have it. Hmm.

27. Paisley square scarf - Likewise, I used to wear this with a purple dress I have since gotten rid of. Should I get rid of this scarf that served me so well?  (Probably not, actually. It's so cute.)

Holiday Scarves


28. Halloween scarf - I bought this with my mom at Bronner's.  I wear it a few times in October and always on Halloween.

29. Christmas scarf - I also bought this with my mom at Bronner's. I wear it a few times in December and sometimes remember to pack it for the holiday itself. 

Update: At the end of the month, I donated seven of the scarves - #7, 9, 12, 17, 21, 22, and 26.  I'm going to keep track of which scarves I wear in the next year and any I don't use, I'll get rid of next year.

How many scarves do you own?  If the answer is none, what is your favorite accessory?

16 comments:

  1. Wow, you do have a lot of scarves! I love them! I thought I had a lot of scarves, but that was before I read this. Now I just think I have a moderate amount. I have probably four or five winter scarves - really warm ones - and then a few dressier scarves, and a couple summerweight ones. So maybe ten? I like the idea of scarves as belts and I think I might adopt that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really into scarves as belts in the early 2000s. I think since I've mostly stopped wearing pants in lieu of dresses that I've really let this trend lapse. Maybe I'll bring it back! (The only problem is that I honestly don't have many pants!)

      Delete
  2. I love this post so much! I have maybe 10 scarves? But I hardly EVER wear them because I always feel like they are eating my face. Will you consider doing a How to Wear Scarves Tutorial because I am in dire need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a great idea. I looked through my FB and Instagram photos to find examples of me wearing scarves and I can probably put together something. I'll get working on it!

      Delete
  3. Interesting: I don't think I have any scarves in this sense, so you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum! And I think you probably look a lot more put-together than I usually do. But as a knitter I have a lot of shawls, and some of them are more like these scarves than the big blanket-shawl kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO SCARVES? This is mind-boggling to me. Also, because I've lived somewhere with winter in my living memory, I've always had to wear winter scarves. I think I'd still keep them around if I lived in a warm weather climate because air conditioning is always so cold and they're a nice little way to combat AC. Hm. I can't imagine life without them.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha... I though "A Mob of Scarves" was going to be a book title, and thought "Well, this should be interesting!" Oh, it's a post about actual scarves! Yes, you do have a mob. I have a bunch of scarves I inherited from my mom, and I wear none of them. Part of it is that I live in Florida, and part of it is I'm just not that fashionable. When my daughter was younger she used to play with the scarf collection and use it for dress-up... and I'll probably save it for my grandchildren as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my nieces were younger (*sob* they're too big for this now), I'd pack a few scarves and let them help me choose which one to wear. Then they'd get to play with the other ones. When me niece was four or five, she asked me if I'd buy her a scarf for her birthday and I was so excited to pass on my scarf love to the next generation. Sadly, she never did become a scarf girl. Not yet, at least. Anyway, I think it's sweet that the scarves will be used by so many generations in your family.

      Delete
  5. I also thought Mob of Scarves was going to be a book review initially! And wow you DO have a lot of scarves. I barely have any - I think maybe just 1 besides my winter scarves, and I probably have 2-3 of those? I am not a scarf wearing person, though. I never feel like I style it right so don't feel comfortable! The one scarf I have and love is an olive-colored infinity scarf w/ glasses on it. it's really cute and whimsical and goes with my winter wardrobe. There isn't another accessory I love, though... I rarely wear accessories. But if I had to choose, I would say necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually rarely wear necklaces because they get tangled up in my scarves! If necklaces are your favorite accessory, I can see why you don't wear many scarves.

      Delete
  6. Um. Wow! That is a lot of scarves. I've heard you mention having a lot before but your collection is very impressive. I might have 3? And I might wear a scarf 1-2 times a year...if that?! My neck looks silly in scarves and while I LOVE how they look on other people, but they always seem annoying/scratchy to me. That said, if you love having a big collection of scarves, go for it! They're small. They're light! They're fun and versatile and all so different.
    My favourite accessory is definitely earrings. I own about a dozen pairs of studs and a dozen pairs of dangly ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you don't look silly in scarves at all! But I never wear hats because I think I look silly in them, so I understand how you might not like a certain accessory looks on you. I have a lot of earrings, but essentially wear the same ones every day. I have been going through my jewelry recently and I think I'm going to pare down my collection.

      Delete
  7. This is so interesting to me, mostly because you have a category of "summerweight scarves" and I just couldn't FATHOM wearing a scarf in the summer! Different climates, for sure.

    I have maybe 3-4 scarves and I cannot remember the last time I wore one of them! It has to be really cold in Florida for me to wear a scarf (and by "really cold," I'm thinking 45F or colder) and that doesn't happen all too often. I do have a fun bookish scarf that I love to wear when it's scarf-wearing weather. That's probably my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think summer is the hardest because of AC. I'm just going in to the cold air from the hot air all day long and those scarves can be crucial when I'm super chilled inside. Buy maybe you're just used to AC because you live in a warmer climate? Or you don't go in and out as much as I do?

      Delete
  8. Oh, this is great. I loved to learn about your scarf collection. I have a few scarves myself, but definitely not THAT many :) I love that they're convenient and a fashion statement. When I knit, I knit a lot of scarves (easier than other clothing items), so I have a ton for the winter time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That is... a lot of scarves. And I love that you have scarves with different purposes. So different from me. I own... zero scarves. None. I had a few, had no idea how to style them, and look like a weirdo in them. They just don't work on me. So I donated all of them! (I do, of course, wear scarves and/or cuffs in the winter because I'm not, well, stupid. :>) Overall, I'm just...not an accessory person. At all. (I am also not a stylish person, so... yeah... you are much more stylish than I!)

    ReplyDelete