Thursday, March 31, 2022

A Bloat of Shoes

One of my blog friends wrote a post about how many shoes she owns and I thought it was a pretty fascinating topic. One article claims that the average woman has 19 pairs of shoes, so I thought I'd see where I fit into that. I took a field trip into my closet and this is what I have.


1) Black Woolrich wingtips with flannel lining - These were a holiday present from my husband years ago and they are the best thing to wear in the winter when I can't wear my winter boots - they're so warm!  They are getting beat up, though, and I'm not sure I'll get another season out of them. I saw this same shoe on ebay for $520 and ha ha ha! I'm not paying that. We'll see.
2) Cross trainers (New Balance) - Current cross trainers. I love these shoes.
3) Silver Vionic flip flops - Best flip flops I've ever owned. If you have bad feet, Vionic is the way to go for your flip flop needs.
4)  Running shoes (Brooks) - I hate these shoes, but here we are. I'll probably get a new pair this summer.

Ignore the flip flops which are a repeat from the previous photo.

5) Black Mephisto sandals - I love the Mephisto footbed with all my heart. If you see me in the summer and it's not raining, I'm wearing Mephisto sandals.
6) Gold Naturalizer heels (from our wedding) - These are the only true pair of heels I own. I have worn them only a few times.
7) Quiero June t-strap sandals - These are well-constructed and relatively comfortable, but I really wanted nude t-straps and this just isn't what I want.  Alas.

Ignore the black Mephistos that are a repeat from the above photo.

8) Red Danskos - These are not clogs. I've owned these for about a million years. There are holes in them, but they are so comfortable and now Dansko has discontinued them and only makes terribly ugly clogs. Sad day. (Okay, Dansko does make a casual shoe, but it's not a canvas shoe.)
9) Blue Keens that look like bowling shoes - These are the cutest shoes, but they aggravate my bad leg, so I almost only wear them when I'm cycling.
10) Brown Mephisto sandals - Yes, this is the exact same sandal as the black one, just in a different color. The brown leather is way softer than the black if you're trying to decide between the two.

11) Dansko purple boots with a buckle - I bought these at DSW at the Mall of America on a whim and wear them way more frequently than I thought I would.
12) Lowa hiking boots
13) Redwing Clara boots in brown - It does not look like these boots are available in this color anymore. It's available in a reddish and a black, though, so there are still options. I love these boots and wear them all the time, particularly in the fall.


14) Black Redwing calf-length boots - They don't make these anymore, but that's okay because they're terrible uncomfortable. Still. I wear them when I have to dress up for office things.
15) Hunter rain boots in purple - These are terrible for my bad feet and leg, so I really only wear them if there's a torrential downpour and I have to walk the dog.
16) Black Columbia winter boots - I LOVE these boots and wear them every day for months in the winter. I'm still wearing them because it's so wet in the spring and they are more comfortable than my rain boots.  These things are warm, cozy, and I could walk for miles and miles in them. Chance are pretty good they won't get put away until the end of April.

17) Red Slogger clogs that my MIL gave me - She told me to use them in the garden. I don't really use them at all, to be honest, but since she gave them to me, I suspect I will own them for the rest of my life.
18) Ryka cross trainers that are old that I use exclusively in the garden or when I'm dogsitting - These stupid shoes have a seam right at the big toe and I hated them when they were my daily exercise shoe and I hate them now. 
19) Water shoes - I have not used these in years, but every time I go to the ocean I buy new ones, so I'm hanging on to these on the off chance I ever leave Wisconsin again.

20) Orange-y red Mephisto Mobils (if we count slippers, and let's go ahead and count them) - These guys are BEAT UP. The soles are in perfect condition, but the wool is not holding up. I suspect I will ask for another pair for Christmas next year. (Although, they ARE on sale right now...)
21) Cydwok Mary Janes - It doesn't look like Cydwok still makes this exact model, but it's similar to this. These are my daily wear shoes for every season except summer. I love these things and I've had them resoled several times. Perfect shoe for me.


I think, all things considered, this isn't too bad. I need to have footwear for all four seasons and I walk the dog in all the weathers.  I suspect I make up for the folks who live in warm weather climates and only need a couple pairs of dress shoes for work, flip flops, and sandals. How many pairs of shoes do you own? Do you have a lead for me on ethically sourced nude shoes with a t-strap and a heel no larger than two inches?

17 comments:

  1. Not surprisingly, my shoe collection is pretty uninspiring. I have 13 pairs so, below average, but I could likely get rid of 1/2 of them and not really be sad.
    I threw out my Sorel's (which I had purchased for $5 second-hand, so I shouldn't be complaining, but I am complaining because both feet sprung leaks this winter), so I no longer have winter boots.
    Flats: one pair of black flats
    Wedges: Three pairs; one - a nude wedge - I wear a lot, but the other two I basically never use (I LOVE wearing heels, but it just doesn't work well in this stage of life)
    Sandals: One strappy wedge + 1 pair of black Birkenstocks
    1 pair rubber boots, 1 pair blundstones, 1 pair of Asics running shoes + 1 pair of indoor (treadmill) shoes + 1 pair of white cute sneakers.
    A pair of Crocs for slippers.
    Boots: one heeled pair I don't actually like.
    I would love to get rid of my indoor running shoes, upgrade my rubber boots and heeled boots, and I really will need new winter boots next year! Kinda important here in Canada...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always justified that I need so many shoes because I live somewhere with all four seasons and am active so I need shoes for doing things (running shoes, cross trainers, hiking boots), but you have managed a much smaller collection and do the same thing!

      Delete
  2. Okay, I think I'm counting 21 for you! You're right around the average. I'm going to tell my husband about this, because he complains that I have too many shoes- but he's obviously out of his mind because I'm way below the average. Actually I just counted and I have ten. But I live in Florida (no boots here) and most of mine are current running shoes or older running shoes that I wear for other things. Because of my foot issue, I almost always wear running shoes (I can wear them to work) and then I've got a couple pairs of nicer shoes- which I hardly ever wear. The last time I wore the "nice" ones was for my son's graduation almost a year ago. Like you, I'm a little limited because of comfort issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you don't have to deal with as many seasonable changes, I guess it makes sense that you would probably have fewer. I guess I could lower my number by four or so if I took out my winter or fall shoes/boots. But some of those are my favorites, so maybe I wouldn't get right rid of them!

      Delete
  3. You are inspiring me to go home and count, but I am going to guess that I own 15? I majorly culled my shoe collection years ago when I came to the realization that much of what I owned and wore for work weren't the right kind of shoe for my poor joints which take a beating thanks to my rhuematoid arthritis. And I need to go through those shoes again after I've been back at work longer and figure out what I truly need to own. I think in total I probably need 10 pairs of shoes and that includes 2 pairs of boots. I would like to find a more comfortable sandal to wear in the summer, though. I don't really have any comfortable summer sandals so I end up wearing my running shoes, but those don't go with things as well as a pair of sandals similar to what you own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think looking into Mephisto and Berkinstock for comfortable sandals is the way to go. I'm just slightly in between sizes with Berks and LOVE my Mephistos, so that's why I have them in two colors.

      Delete
  4. You have definitely outdone me but probably not my missus. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my husband count and he has 23 - so more than I do!

      Delete
  5. Hmm. I have no idea offhand how many shoes I have, but I'm pretty sure I'm above average. Maybe I'll take a look and see - or is this information I don't want to have? Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have too many shoes. Too many shoes I don't wear. Yet I am still looking for a pair of nude mules with a kitten heel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always on the lookout for a nude t-strap, so I get you!

      Delete
  7. That was an interesting unexpexted blog posts - I love hearing about these random things that you might otherwise never talk about. You have a nice mix of shoes (although I thought it was funny that a few times you mentioned that you hated the shoes, but hadn't - for one reason or another - gotten rid of them. Time to prune the closet?) I really like those Clara Boots and my Birkenstocks are your Mephistos! :)

    I'll have to go and count my shoes. I might be around the average. I definitely have a lot of running shoes and sandals. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really get rid of my hated running shoes until I buy new ones. The other ones I hate are my gardening shoes and I'll get rid of those when I buy new cross trainers and then my current cross trainers will become gardening shoes. There's a life cycle to shoes in my house!

      Delete
  8. Update! I have 37 pairs, not including slippers. I am an overachiever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to know all about these 37 pairs! How many are dressy? Seasonal? How many have you actually worn in the last year?

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I want to do a post like this because this was really fun to read! I never think I own a ton of shoes but I'm sure I have at least 15 at this point. But I mostly just wear my flip-flops, TOMs, or running shoes. I need to upgrade my flip-flops so I'm going to check out Vionic. I have high arches and very weak ankles so I need something super supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is interesting. I'm like Lisa and Jenny - my physical limitations mean that I'm also limited in the type of shoes I can (and will) wear. Running shoes are my default. I do have other pairs, but now I want to count them up! OK, 16. 2 pairs of boots (winter & hiking), several pairs of clog-type shoes (and I probably need to donate most as I'm not sure I can wear them anymore with my leg/foot issues) and the remainder are sneakers/variations on sneakers (but again, some of the non-running shoes need to be donated...). So interesting! Your shoes are so colorful! (I have never owned red or purple shoes... :>)

    ReplyDelete