Thursday, June 30, 2022

Multiples Multiplying (Out of Control)

Elisabeth wrote about how, while she generally keeps the things she owns to a minimum, she has a lot of scissors. This actually encouraged me to think about the things I have a large number of (besides shoes, which I've covered in some depth). Here is my list of things I have multiples of and how I got to this place.

Scissors: A lot of these stories are going to start "I never could find X when I was growing up" and when I became an adult, I overcorrected. This is one of those stories. I think we only had one pair of orange-handled scissors in our house when I was growing up. They were stored with my mom's current knitting project and since that was a moving target, I never knew where the scissors were. By my count, we have a pair in the living room desk, a pair of kitchen shears, a pair in the downstairs bathroom, each of us has a pair in our desks in the office upstairs, there's a pair in the guest room where the wrapping paper lives, and I have two pairs in the sewing room (one for ONLY cutting fabric and one for cutting patterns and the like).  Eight pair by my count.  We also have a box cutter in the living room desk and a box cutter in the mudroom. 

Scarves: I'm a girl who likes scarves and wears them a lot. By a quick visual inspection of my closet, I have about two dozen.  More on scarves later.

Socks: When I was growing up, the frantic search for matching socks in the morning was always such a stressful time. There are two entire drawers of my dresser devoted to socks and I actually have a handful stocked in my nightstand, too. I never search for matching socks in my adult life. Also, people who love me KNOW I love socks and always send them to me as presents. I just hoard them and honestly can't stop. I also own dozens of pairs of tights, nylons, and the like. I'm just a hosiery kind of girl.


Lip balms: I love lip balm. I am an addict. I also am not the kind of person who loses them, so I go through entire tubes before throwing them out (my husband introduced me to two of his aunts by saying "she's the kind of person who uses the entire tube of Chapstick before losing it").  If I'm at a small boutique and I see some local lip balm, I'll buy it. There's one in every jacket, every purse, and there's a stash of at least a dozen in my nightstand. You can never have enough lip balm.  

Just from my nightstand. 

Greeting cards: I wrote about my greeting card box before, but it bears repeating. I have a box with my greeting cards organized by occasion and there are hundreds of greeting cards in there. 


Library books: I just don't feel comfortable unless I have a huge stack of books. This is definitely left over from the trauma of the library being closed in the early days of the pandemic and I only had four books, which, as I'm sure you can imagine, I read fairly quickly. Now, I try to be stocked in case it ever happens again.  

I have holds on eight more paper books and have maxed out my ten holds on Libby.

What do you have too many of?  Does it stem from not being able to find matching socks when you were a child? 

18 comments:

  1. Right there with you on scarves, socks, lip balm, and library books. Add in lipsticks, workout and yoga clothes. Actually, probably all clothes. I have so many black sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting because I actually have a pretty small wardrobe if you exclude scarves and hosiery. I only have a few sweaters and I have just enough workout clothes to get through a week. But if you forced me to cut back on my socks, I think I would panic!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh I totally forgot about lip balm! I definitely have a bunch of those -- one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, one in my nightstand, one in the pocket of each winter coat, one in each purse, one in my car. Don't want to be caught without lip balm!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't be caught without a tube of lip balm handy - it would feel like a major adulting failure to me!

      Delete
  3. Ha ha... socks is definitely one of mine. We go through periods where half our socks have mysteriously disappeared, and it's so stressful getting ready in the morning. i had one of those periods in November/December, and was constantly wearing two completely different sock because I couldn't find the matches. Finally my sister sent me a package of Harry Potter socks for Christmas, which was the BEST GIFT EVER! I love having an abundance of socks, and they all have something different on them (I'm wearing the "mischief managed" socks today.).
    Scissors must be a common one, because I also have lots of scissors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting a present of HP socks seems so fitting since that's what DD said he saw in the Mirror of Erised! One of my favorite pairs is a Bombas pair with Hedwig on it. We in the HP fandom are ridiculous, it turns out.

      Delete
  4. YES YES YES I can relate to every word in this post. I have a pair of scissors in my bedroom, my office, the living room, the dining room, the kitchen, and in the basement. Every time that someone forgets to put a pair of scissors back it's like I'm reliving a childhood trauma. I have a tube of lip balm and a pony tail holder in my purse and in every location of my house where I could possibly need them. Beyond that I feel like I have more strainer baskets and cutting boards then the average person has because I don't ever want to have to stop in the middle of a cooking project to have to wash one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pony tail holders! Yes! I have them everywhere, too. That's a good one to add to the list.

      Delete
  5. I am also a loin balmer (balm bomber?). I am a little obsessive, and it is silly.

    We have two pairs of scissors almost side by side in the kitchen. I am not sure why, but I am sure that Sue is. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Side by side?! I must know why that is!!

      Delete
  6. I also have many tubes of chapstick, but only the traditional burts bees ones! I have them all over the place - at my desk, in the living room, in our bedroom, in the stroller, in my purse, etc. That is the main thing that stands out. We also have lots of scissors, especially kitchen ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I actually got really ticked at Burt's Bees for pretending to be all eco-friendly, but then not being able to say if their balms were gluten-free or not and I threw all of them out. Ha! That was years ago and I'm still holding a grudge - the company still refuses to say and I will continue to boycott them, I guess!
      https://www.burtsbees.com/content/faqs/faqs.html#3

      Delete
  7. Well, you know how I feel about scissors.
    Lip balm = ditto. I have tubes everywhere and I am also a "use it all" kind of person. Who loses lip balm? Where do they lose it? This is both intriguing and surprising to me. I mostly just use Nivea - my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I think it makes sense that people would lose lip balm. They are tiny little tubes and I can see dropping them, losing them in couch/car cushions, putting them through the washing machine, etc. My husband actually thinks they make dry lips worse and refuses to use any, but I'm clearly part of the big balm conspiracy and use them multiple times a day!

      Delete
  8. This is so interesting to me! I don't know if there is anything I have tons of multiples of. I have one pair of scissors that stays in the kitchen and I only have 1 or 2 tubes of lip balm (humid climate = I don't get chapped lips all that frequently). I do have a nice sock collection, but my "fun" socks stay in a basket in my closet and I only wear them during the few months of winter we get here in FL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ONE PAIR OF SCISSORS?! That is mind boggling to me. I guess we should strive to be more like you and simplify our lives. :)

      Delete
  9. Scarves, socks and scissors! Did you write this post or did I -- because we're operating with the same multipliers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Books. OMG. I never thought of it this way - I have no idea why... - but I am an e-book hoarder. Holy moley. I have no idea how many I have in my Apple Books acct but... yeah. That might be my one splurge. I eat out maybe once every six months, unless one of my friends makes me. I don't have 8 pairs of scissors (LOL). And I have a moratorium on buying chapstick right now because I got a bunch of free ones literally years ago and I'm still working through them. Reading this is fascinating - I want to know more about the scarves so will keep an eye out for that post... :)

    ReplyDelete