Monday, December 05, 2022

2.5 Drawing - Not Enough Holiday Stickers

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a predetermined theme randomly chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the fifth day of the month is "Drawing." FYI, I'm not a good artist, so please be kind.

****************

Yesterday I decided I really needed to focus and get my Christmas cards done. I gathered the stamps, addresses, and Sharpies. But as I went to set up my assembly line, I realized I didn't have any way to seal the envelopes, so I went in search of wintry-type stickers to use. I did not buy stickers this year because I assumed I had enough from last year. 

I went into my giant envelope of stickers labeled "holidays" (I also have envelopes labeled animals, cartoons, and the overly generic "things") in the tote under the bed, and found three stickers with angels on them. Hm. I have approximately eight million Halloween and Valentine's stickers, enough Thanksgiving/fall-themed ones to get through the next couple of years, and so many shamrocks I'm wondering if the rest of the world has any left. I went to my office desk where I found more shamrocks (!) and a slew of heart-shaped ones, as well as a strange sticker that says peace be with you.  I found a handful of seals from the ASPCA with animals in snow. I went into my box with a random assortment of generic holiday cards that I use to give presents to the groomer, vet, mail carrier, etc. and found two sheets of Christmas stickers. In the end, I only found about forty stickers and I send out more cards than that. So some people got random drawings from me. (Some people have naked envelopes right now. Don't worry. I won't let them go out like that.)

This one is for Bestest Friend. I based it on our snowman ornament.

But, seriously, where are my Christmas stickers? This can't be all I have. Do I need to go BUY more? I mean, I'm worried that next year it's going to be a shamrock situation when I find a stash of Santa stickers somewhere I haven't looked. 

That's it for now. Stayed tuned for the resolution of the The Case of the Missing Stickers.

****************

To see what Bestest Friend has to say about drawing, go visit her at Too Legit to Quit.

18 comments:

  1. Okay, so I went looking for a basic sheet of Christmas stickers this year to put on my envelopes at the DollarStore and couldn't find any. They had HUGE stickers and vinyl decals for windows, but no regular-sized Santa's or snowflakes. So I cheated and had my daughter draw little pictures on all the cards that went out + in a pinch a few times I cut off the To/From part of cute holiday labels for presents, and tried to pass them off as just regular ol' Christmas stickers.
    Is this another COVID shortage? First TP, then yeast and flour, and now stickers?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like everything can be blamed on COVID, so why not our lack of stickers?!

      Delete
  2. I actually think your drawing is pretty good! At least it looks like an adult did it. My husband recently saw a drawing I did in elementary school and commented- in all sincerity- that my drawings look the same way now. If I tried to draw on the Christmas card envelopes, people would assume one of the kids did it (and that worked better when they were toddlers.)
    I say, buy more stickers! They can't be that expensive, right? You'll use them eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to go buy more stickers. There are too many envelopes and I worry that people who aren't my Bestest Friend wouldn't find my drawings as charming. Ha!

      Delete
  3. I love that you use stickers or drawings to seal your envelopes! That's really fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm secretly still a ten-year-old child. I LOVE stickers. It's kind of silly, but it's who I am.

      Delete
  4. I would have never thought to use stickers on envelopes. This shows you how left-brained I am. I was thinking you used the sticker to close the envelop to avoid all the licking but it must just be something you add to make it more cheery!

    Also, I got a book substack newsletter and it mentioned a book that made me think of you since you like Christmas music. It's called "Her Country: How the Women of Country Music Became the Success they Were Never Supposed to Be." Apparently there is an algorithm that music stations use so that fewer women artists are played. Sounds like it might be up your alley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I do lick the envelopes, but I think of the stickers as added protection to make sure it does stay sealed. I've done this on cards since I started writing letters and never thought it was unusual!

      That book sounds perfect for me! Thanks for the recommendation - it doesn't look like it's at my library, but I'll search around for it.

      Delete
  5. I'm also working on cards right now...it's a little bit stressful but also kind of relaxing to work on them? It's hard to find time to sit down but once I am its such a fun activity. Yours are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing cards, but it really is a process! It takes me a few days to get everything done. I try to not get grumpy while doing it.

      Delete
  6. Goodness, I am not nearly so crafty. It has never occurred to me to use a sticker on my envelopes. And this year, I might really want them, because my cheap envelopes do not have any glue, so I was planning to tape them shut with plain tape. Now you have motivated me, I am going to see if I can find any cute stickers. But based on your search, I will not be too disappointed if I can't find them.

    I did buy Christmas themed stamps, though, so that's something at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stickers will be so much better than tape! Go buy some - they're not that expensive!

      Delete
  7. If you buy more, it will turn out you had a ton of them somewhere. If you don't buy more, there are none hidden in the house. That's the way it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought just enough to do my cards for this year. If I find some before next year, great. If not, I will know to buy them in bulk early next year.

      Delete
  8. Stickers! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I did this one year, a long time ago.... I love the idea! I can't say I have looked for Christmas stickers in any stores this year, so I can't speak to the shortage/supply of them. I feel like probably Michael's or other similar place would have some? I definitely used to buy Christmas sticker books when the boys were little. They were pretty into sticking stickers onto anything for a while. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you decorate your envelopes. I do too. I have a couple of great holiday stamps that always come in handy, but I love a nice set of stickers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I.. wow. I am not this creative. Not by a long shot! I admire the effort you put into your cards - those who receive them will know you're thinking about them. :)

    ReplyDelete