Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Writers & Lovers by Lily King

Writers & Lovers by Lily King was our book club book for the month. In the style of What's Mine and Yours, this was also a Read with Jenna pick, so maybe that's our book club's new source of inspiration. 

(I finished this book 48 hours ago and cannot remember the name of the main character. You guys. It's not a good sign for this book.)

Casey is writing a book. Actually, she's trying to survive the death of her mother, crippling debt, a crappy job at a restaurant, an uncertain love life, and walking her landlord's dog every morning while attempting to finish a  novel.  She's in a constant state of anxiety and flux and she's harassed at her job and, frankly, her life is a challenge.

This wasn't the ending to the book I wanted. I found in uninspiring that Casey's book ended up being so good there was a bidding war over it. I found in uninspiring that as soon as gets an agent, she is all set. I find it uninspiring just how unrealistic this was. What I wanted from the book was for Casey to finish her novel and that's it. Because that's how it is for most people. I want her to struggle to get an agent. I want her to struggle and never get a book deal. Because that's real life. And then I want her to still be happy in her life. Because most of us are never going to be writers who make so much money from a book deal that all our financial problems are solved. Most of us will not become household names like JK Rowling, Dan Brown, and John Grisham. And I wanted this book to show me that she could write her book and, even if it's a good or great book, it would not go anywhere, but she would rebound and make it and be joyful and fall in love and live a life worth living. That would inspire me. 

This just made me want to kick something or someone.

2.5/5 stars

My book club peeps found it "meh." Only one other person had finished it and the other two weren't sure if they'd bother.  I know people love this book, but I just don't think it was the right choice for us.

Lines of note:

It's a particular kind of pleasure, of intimacy, loving a book with someone. (page 54)

Oh, it's such a joy when I find someone else who wants to talk about Francie Nolan with me. Instant friendship karma.

Nearly every guy I've dated believed they should already be famous, believed that greatness was their destiny and they were already behind schedule. An early moment of intimacy often involved a confession of this: a childhood vision, teacher's prophesy, a genius IQ. At first, with my boyfriend in college, I believed it, too. Later, I thought I was just choosing delusional men. Now I understand it's how boys are raised to think, how they are lured into adulthood. I've met ambitious women, driven women, but no woman has ever told me that greatness was her destiny. (page 232)

I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought greatness was their destiny. Maybe I don't hang around with enough creative types.

I'm scared of men in cars and men in doorways, men in groups and men alone. They are menacing. Men-acing. Men-dacious. Men-tal. (page 248)

I keep thinking about Invisible Women and how most men just don't see the dangers women see almost instinctively. I stayed at an Air BnB while I was in Columbus and basically wrote a review suggesting that there were some basic safety features missing from it, including lighting at the doorway and a chain on the door. The (male) host responded to my review quite defensively, suggesting that the lighting was plentiful and locks were provided. Of course, anyone who has rented the apartment could have made copies of the keys, so...it's just clear that this dude has never considered safety from the perspective of a woman.

Things I looked up:

vongole (page 21) - this is a type of pasta served with clams and a light sauce (I actually think it's Italian for clams, so it's actually the clam?) 

Minnesota personality test (page 82) - Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) is a tool some mental health professionals use to diagnosis mental health disorders. 

manque (page 89) - having failed to become what might have been; unfulfilled

11 comments:

  1. I listened to this one a couple of years ago and loved it- she's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like this book- but I see what you mean about the ending. I think your version of it would have been more interesting. But I liked the main character, so I guess i was happy when everything worked out for her. Sometimes reality is too depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess I think I'm just in a place right now and I wonder if I'd be so grumpy with these November books if I had read them at a different time.

      Delete
  3. I tend to forget a lot of book details quickly, which leads me to pretty poor recommendations. "Read this book...it's great!" But, lack of details aside, I LOVE Lily King's work and really liked this one. I also love that people have different reactions to books and I like your review even though our star ranks are different for this one! I feel like there were a lot of "unmoored 20-somethings" books a few years ago and I liked them a lot for reminding me of a time-period in my life that I can remember, but am happy to be through! Other authors in this genre are Sally Rooney and Anna Burns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see how it would slot into that type of genre. I am not a Rooney fan, either, so maybe those are just not the books for me.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I liked this book! I found it fascinating because it really showed how much privilege goes into the whole "living a creative life" thing - if you don't have independent means or some kind of financial support, it is so hard to live the creative life. I also thought it was interesting because sometimes "following your dreams" means that you work shitty jobs just to pay the bills and try to cram the creative part in the off hours. I wondered if this was Lily King's personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and that's what made the ending so very disappointing. Most writers do have a series of crappy jobs, but then the ending isn't this romanticized version. It was disappointing to me.

      Delete
  5. I also really liked this book, too, for the reasons that Nicole details above!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add me to the list of people who loved this book. It was one of my favorites of 2021. As someone who wanted to be a novelist at one time, I really related to the main character and I was kinda happy everything worked out for her. But I do see what you're saying about how things could have been more interesting if she didn't get everything she wanted. What really stood out to me in this book is the way grief is explored, and it really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Picking a meh book is so sad. But I realized that meh books make better conversation in book clubs.

    ReplyDelete