Wednesday, August 10, 2022

What's Mine and Yours by Naima Caster

What's Mine and Yours by Naima Caster was our book club book for the month.

First up, I was so puzzled by the "Read with Jenna" sticker on my library copy. Who is Jenna and why do I care? Apparently, this is Jenna Bush Hager and she is one of the Bush twins and is a correspondent on The Today Show where she hosts a book club.  This was her pick in March 2021. My research on this topic ended there.

In this book, we follow two families. Jade and her son Gee suffer a tragic loss. Meanwhile, Lacey May and her daughters are living parallel lives, struggling to get their bearings when the father figure of the family suffers more indirectly from the same tragedy. It's a far reaching family saga, but we do find ourselves mostly centered in North Carolina.

The book jumps from timeline to timeline and from POV to POV and I found it challenging to keep track of everybody. Because of the time jumps, I'm also left with a lot of questions about how characters went from one personality type to another since we never really got a lot of the in-between time. This was the biggest sticking point for folks in my book club - there's one character in particular who left everyone confused as to how they got from point A to point B.

But, in general, I thought this was a powerful book with a powerful message about how one event has trickle down effects for years and years.  I thought Caster's writing was beautiful, the setting was gorgeous, and her descriptions of characters were interesting and unique. Mixed bag, this one. 3/5 stars

Lines of note:

"Sometimes, people are your family because they're your blood. But that doesn't mean much on its own. The realest family are the people who stand by you." (page 67)

Recently, I keep marking lines about family. I wonder what that says about me.

...which he appreciated because he didn't believe in genius. There was only luck and social capital, as well as capital capital. (page 131)

This made me audibly snort. I do believe some people are inherently smarter than others, some people are even genius, but I do think that luck and social capital will get you more in life than any intelligence.  

Something I looked up:

Piedmont (page 1 and lots of other places) - The Piedmont is a plateau region in the eastern US. A good chunk of central North Carolina is in the Piedmont. 

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...looks interesting! I had no idea about Jenna Bush but then again I'm kind of clueless about most things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one who didn't know about Reading with Jenna. You make me feel better about my cluelessness.

      Delete
  2. Ha, i just got a book from the library with a "read with Jenna" sticker on it and was equally confused. Anyway, I find books that switch back and forth a lot between POVs to be a little annoying. I don't mind it if it's every few chapters- I like to really get into one storyline before switching. But this does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a strong opinion about multiple POVs - it all depends on how well it is done, I guess. But I didn't personally love how it was done in this case.

      Delete
  3. I did know about Jenna! A podcaster I follow (Annie B Jones of The Book Shelf/From the Front Porch) often recommends upcoming new releases that then become read with Jenna picks. So I think she has a good team of people that helps her pick out books to market. I haven't heard of this one, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting. I don't listen to a lot of book podcasts, but maybe if I were more tuned in to those I would know more about these niche book clubs.

      Delete