Thursday, July 25, 2024

Colonoscopy 101: Ugh (But You Still Gotta Do It)

Earlier this week I had my first colonoscopy. I want to talk about it because it sucked and everyone made it sound like it would sort of suck, but then it would be over, and that would be fine. I did not find that last bit to be true. Stephany recently wrote about her sleep study and I was inspired to write this down because maybe it will help someone else out who has some of the questions I had.

Look, this is going to be graphic and talk about poop a lot, so if that's not your jam, maybe just skip this post. 

Pre-pre-procedure

I have a first-degree relative with colon cancer, which is the reason I got to get a colonoscopy a bit earlier (seriously, just weeks) than age 45, which is the recommendation for people to start getting screened. My husband had his colonoscopy about a month ago and he went through a different healthcare system and his prep was entirely different from mine, so I'll try and talk about the two different preps and then go into my experience. 

Dr. BB's pre-procedure

My husband had to be on a low-fiber diet for five days before his colonoscopy. My husband was given a jug with some prep powder in it and an optional flavor packet and he had to drink a cup every fifteen minutes for two hours the night before his procedure. The morning of his procedure he had to repeat the drinking of the prep every fifteen minutes for two hours. The prep was gluten-free, if anyone is interested in that. 

My pre-procedure

The only food restriction I had for my prep was no popcorn for seven days. I admit that for most people this would probably just be a mild inconvenience, but I cannot tell you how many times I eat popcorn in a week, so this was a real sadness for me. Oh, well. I persevered. 

The day before the procedure, I had to be on a clear liquid diet starting at midnight. I drank water and tea and ate a few popsicles. You can eat or drink anything clear as long as it wasn't purple or red. Then the prep started. 

At around noon, I took five 5mg tablets of Dulcolax. Things were fine for a few hours, but then the nausea started. I had a wet bowel movement. 

THEN! Things got terrible. I had to buy two big bottles of Miralax (238 grams each) and mix it with Gatorade. I chose to mix it with full-calorie lemon-lime Gatorade. I went with "real" Gatorade because I was concerned that the lack of calories was going to be a big problem for me, but I fear that the mistake I made was in so many calories because I was already nauseated and then all this sugar made me really feel like I was going to vomit and never stop. Do not recommend. I had to drink a cup of this solution every fifteen minutes until my stool was "clear like light beer." 

The actual instructions. 

(I hated this. Like I have any idea what light beer looks like? Or regular beer for that matter. Honestly. Way to show your roots, Wisconsin. Imagine I just said the word Wisconsin like it was a swear word, okay?)

Anyway, I drank nine glasses of this and there were still flecks, but if I smelled Gatorade, I would have vomited my lungs up, so I gave up and went to bed. It was a terrible night of sleep. I had to wake up to void everything once and my stomach was cramping like mad and did I mention that I thought I was going to puke every time my husband so much as moved a micromillimeter? 

I woke up and had to keep drinking that nastiness until my stools were clear like light beer, but I finished the whole fucking thing and there were still flecks, but I didn't care because if someone had asked me to eat or drink anything, I would have laid down and died. 

(It's possible I am melodramatic when I am sick or injured. Why do you ask?)

The hospital is a quick five minute drive away and I tried to remain cheerful because, hey, at least I didn't have rhabdomyolysis, right? But I want you to know that I rolled down the window and kept my head out the window the whole way there because if I was going to puke, I wasn't going to do it in the car.  

End scene. We get there at the exact time I was told to get there, but the doctor was running late. This meant I was going to the bathroom at the hospital (still flecks, yo) and we were just sitting in the waiting room while I contemplated if it would hurt the fake plant if I puked in its vase. 

(I never did puke. But it felt very close the whole time.)

So. The prep. -2/10. Do not recommend.

The Colonoscopy Itself

But here's what I was really worried about. I was actively menstruating and I know, from having been there with my husband a month before, that they asked you to remove everything when you put your gown on. I did some research, but the Internets let me down because there were no clear answers about what to do. (My husband did not understand my concern. Was I supposed to wear a tampon? Was I supposed to free bleed? What is the answer here?)

So when we finally got into my assigned room, they had me strip and put on a gown and I asked about what I should do if I was actively bleeding on my period. Like...help me out, nurse? 

Mesh panties. And a pad. That's the answer. They give you mesh panties and a pad. The definitely do not want you wearing a tampon. And think of them as Chekhov's mesh panties because they're going to come back. 

We waited in this room for literal hours because the doctor was running behind. They put in an IV and gave me some sweet, sweet Zofran and I stopped feeling like I was going to puke.

Things we talked about while waiting:

    The clock on the wall and how the minute hand moved incrementally every fifteen seconds 
    Construction at the hospital
    The building we both work in is having its roof replaced, but not soon enough since there was leaking and one of the (empty) offices in my husband's department had gotten wet
    How nice it was not to feel like vomiting
    Whether or not people would like I Capture the Castle
    Calculating how many hours we'd spent in the hospital in the last week
    How slow my IV was dripping
    If I would ever drink lemon-lime Gatorade again

Okay, was that list boring? Yeah? Well, imagine living it.

They finally took me back to the procedure and it was fine. I mean, they position you so you're laying on your left side and then there are drugs and I literally remember nothing until waking up back in the recovery room. 

But, hey, did I wet myself? Like, it's very damp. I had to just sit there in dampness until they removed my IV, but they still wanted me to sit up for five minutes and then sit on the side of the bed for a minute or two before I got see what's what.

You guys. You GUYS. The mesh panties were yellow. ALERT ALERT. I clearly peed on myself. And maybe I peed on the health care workers? WHAT HAVE I DONE?

The results were normal and I have no polyps and that is the best news we could have asked for.

The allergy band makes it look DIRE. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, which is not a big deal. 

Post-procedure

When we got home, I have to admit to you some sad news. The Zofran wore off and I was once again nauseated. AND THEN the gas. They have to shoot air up your ass, I guess, and I am not a person who gets gas and I literally thought I was going to DIE of abdominal pain. (Melodrama, I know!)

So I curled up in a ball on the couch where I sat for three hours, letting out teeny tiny bits of gas almost continuously. And felt like throwing up. 

AND THEN! I was finally hungry. I ate some yogurt and granola and it was the best tasting yogurt I've ever had. 

But man I was still gassy. And I had bloating and abdominal pain for about 28-30 hours after the procedure was finished. And I didn't have a BM for more than 48 hours after the procedure. Maybe TMI, but I have BMs much more regularly than that. Like multiple times a day more.  And there's a huge bruise on the back of my hand where the IV was. 

Note: You can also see the scar left by Penny the Cat

And I get to do it all again in five years. Hopefully with less peeing on myself. 

Please get yourself a colonoscopy if you're due and you haven't done it. Yes, it really does suck (real talk), but colorectal cancer is way worse. Early detection is key to good outcomes!

****************

When is the last time you were nauseous for more than a day? Did you also put your face out the window of a moving car? Do you have questions about this procedure? I will be an open book.

48 comments:

  1. Yay for you! I gotta go back in 7 and I HAD polyps— so weird (also have fam history of cancer). Oh the mesh underwear— such a large part of my postpartum experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. The recommendation would be for you to go back in 3-5 years. Is the family first-degree relative? Maybe that's the difference?

      Delete
  2. WHAT???? I had my first colonoscopy on Monday!!!! We're twins!!!

    I had completely different prep instructions. Three days out I had a low fiber diet. I went extreme and limited myself to white bread, eggs, PB&J, cheese, and a vanilla milkshake. The day before was no food, which was easier than I thought.

    My prep was Clenpiq. I had a little trouble getting it because the pharmacy keyed it in wrong so at first insurance wouldn't cover it. I was going to go the route that you took with laxatives and gatorade, but then they fixed the mistake so I got the pro product after all. It's just two small drinks and then you have to drink a ton of water afterwards. The emptying out process wasn't as dramatic as I imagined. Things worked out, ya know. TMI but everything coming out of me was crystal clear by the end.

    The punchline is that I did have a polyp that they took out and was benign. I'll have to go back more frequently than every 10 years but I'm good with that. It beats the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was Monday, too. We were super twins. We should have texted each other encouragement during the prep.

      Yeah, it turns out that I should have probably had a low fiber diet for a few days, too. I have some regrets!

      Delete
  3. That. Sounds. BRUTAL. You poor thing.
    And it's nothing at all like what my husband goes through when he gets his regular colonoscopy (polyps and a history of cancer on his side).

    I get away with ColoGuard, the mail-in poop test. There's zero cancer and polyps history in my family. I am incredibly grateful, and my doctor doesn't see a need for me to do the full-on colonoscopy.

    All that AND on your period. I think you deserve either a medal or a splurge treat. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor basically doesn't recommend ColoGuard for a first timer. And, obviously with a family history, it's a no-go. Oh, well. I'm envious of it as an option for you!

      Delete
  4. You poor thing, I relate. The whole process is barbaric. I've had 3 colonoscopies and each time the prep was awful and the procedure turned up no problems. I want to say it was worth it, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it IS worth it because colon cancer is no joke. I don't mean to suggest you shouldn't do it!

      Delete
  5. I don't remember to many details of mine. I did have to drink two huge jugs of a foul something or other. I also woke up during the procedure and asked a question about what I was seeing on the monitor. They put me back under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I woke up during the procedure, that would be headline of this story, I assure you! How scary!

      Delete
  6. I have to have my first one later this year, and between this and https://www.swistle.com/2023/07/22/a-little-bit-of-what-it-was-like-to-have-a-colonoscopy/, I am feeling much more confident! My brain has no trouble making up terrible scenarios about things I know nothing about so having some sort of idea makes it much less scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good. Swistle ate a muffin right after hers! I was still considering vomiting! What different experiences.

      Delete
  7. I skipped this post lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. It's not for everyone.

      Delete
  8. I hope recovery is easy and smooth! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry your prep, experience, and recovery sucked so bad. I disagree completely with your pre-prep instructions re: diet, but deleted my previous comment with far too much of my opinion - sorry about that. But really, GIVE THEM FEEDBACK. Tell them that it sucked really, really bad for you. See if some Gas-X post-procedure next time is a possibility. But you did it. And you were clear. And yay for you. Colon cancer sucks, as you know. Take care, and I hope you feel more like you, stat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really did make me feel so much better. My melodrama was not for nothing! I sort of wish I had seen the previous comment. LOL.

      Delete
  10. This all sounds like HORRIBLE prep, but I'm so glad you did it and are encouraging other people to do it (a dear friend died in his early 30s from colon cancer). I haven't had a colonoscopy yet, but definitely will in a few years when I hit the right age bracket. Screening saves lives!

    That mesh underwear was one of the only highlights from my hospital stays after C-sections. I LOVED the mesh underwear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Elisabeth, how could you love the mesh underwear?! It was...not comfortable. LOL.

      Delete
  11. I have heard about the prep being pretty awful and then the procedure is kind of a non-event so that's what I've mentally prepared myself for when I do this when I turn 45. I have a family history so will need one at 45 and can't do the cologuard process. I hope you've turned the corner and are getting back to feeling more like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the procedure was a non-event, but I certainly did not bounce back the way I was led to believe I would. Things are still not where I would like them to be!

      Delete
  12. This was amazingly detailed!
    So - my doctor gave me the choice to have a "poop in a box" kit sent to me to do instead of a colonoscopy. I said, 'YES PLEASE!" But I have to wait until my period's over to do it. (Which is a whole other issue - I've had a unending period for several months.) Of course it's only good for three years and they suggest that once you turn 50 you do the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so envious of you can just poop in a box! Not envious of the unending period, though. That needs to get nipped in the bud RIGHT NOW.

      Delete
  13. Wait, was I allowed to laugh? Because this made me howl. Perhaps it is way too relatable. The docs couldn't diagnose my celiac so I started having colonoscopies when I was maybe 24? And I've had probably 5 or 6, but one was just a sigmoidoscopy, which was the worst because I was awake or partially awake, The doc stopped at one point to shame me for groaning. YOU SHOULDN'T BE FEELING ANYTHING. I wanted to ask him to bend over so I could shove a tube up his ass and then we could reconvene and he could verify that I wasn't supposed to feel anything.

    The first one I had when I was but a baby, I had to drink something called GoLightly. Well, I assure you they had to have banished this drink from all of the earth because it did make me vomit and I couldn't hold down another glass of it, so I just stopped. My recent years' tests have involved more of what you describe. Unpleasant but nothing as bad as that ghastly poison water.

    Also, I'm allergic to sulfa TOO, and I almost feel silly mentioning it when asked, because like - not much happens, a rash, who cares.

    Glad your results were good and so happy for you that it's over until the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you laughed, then my job here is done.

      My allergy to sulfa is the same and I feel dumb mentioning it, but it always comes out. And it truly was a bad rash.

      Delete
  14. Okay, I feel bad for you on the drinking stuff and nausea and that you felt bad after, but ONLY NO POPCORN FOR SEVEN DAYS? I was severely restricted for five days and it wasn't really a problem getting enough food but it just felt gross. Plus I had a grape popsicle and then freaked out because I remembered I wasn't supposed to have anything with red dye, and red and blue make PURPLE, but it was fine.
    I had to drink a ton of stuff, but everything was pretty much liquid by the end of the couple hours the night before. The big problem was I felt like I was going to barf if I drank the rest of the stuff in the morning. But I forced it down. Once I got to the hospital, everything went fine, and the drugs were amazing, I was filled with love for all mankind. Plus it was - maybe inauguration day? and I was so happy it was for Biden and not Trump. And I wasn't hungry after, but I felt okay.
    I do appreciate people demystifying stuff like this, it's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, according to Anne, the reason I was so miserable is because they didn't have me do a low fiber diet. I suspect that's what was at issue. *sigh* I have regrets.

      I also did not find that I bounced back right after the procedure like everyone said I would. I do not like being the odd person out. Next time I'm doing a low fiber diet for a few days beforehand and I'm going to drink zero-calorie Gatorade.

      Delete
  15. Chekov's mesh underwear made me laugh. I'm so sorry this was such a rough experience for you! It is so fascinating to me how different people's prep experiences are. I hope that means you can ask your GI for a different prep next time because sheesh, you should not have to go through this again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my prep instructions were not great. Honestly, my instructions for aftercare were also not great. LOL. Next time I'm going to ask a lot more questions!

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad that at least your suffering through this resulted in no polyps being found! But how frustrating to have all the problems you did.

    I tried twice to do the pre-colonoscopy stuff and each time had a debilitating migraine before it was even time to drink the prep stuff. Which, since I was vomiting after every sip of water, was not something I wanted to tackle! My doctor let me try the Cologuard, which was clear, and I did it again last year, clear again. It's not pleasant to do, but far better than those migraines.

    I don't remember exactly what my food restrictions were beforehand, but I vividly remember that I wasn't allowed to take ibuprofen for a week ahead, and how annoyed I was that I was in pain for a week for what turned out to be no reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, if just the clear diet is giving you migraines, what are you supposed to do?! I'm so happy for Cologuard to help with situations like that.

      Delete
  17. It's interesting how different everyone's prep seems to be! Mine wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't too, too bad. i remember I had to drink two different doses of some kind of salty liquid. The first was at night after fasting all day, and the second was the next morning before the procedure. Not great, but not too bad either. My sister on the other hand had a prep that sounds more like yours, and she actually did vomit. I wonder if you could talk to the doctor next time and explain how bad it was, and get a different prep?
    Anyway, the bottom line is EVERYTHING IS FINE (I love how they tell you right away.) And yes- as bad as it is, it's better than cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottom line is so great! I can relax for a little bit!

      Delete
  18. Well, you know about my outcome....but, I had no farting afterwards! I wonder if that's because I only had a half-colonoscopy?? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I didn't have the best experience and will definitely ask more questions about prep and aftercare next time. I thought it was almost as unpleasant afterwards as before and that didn't seem to be normal!

      Delete
  19. First of all, yay for a clear colonoscopy! That's the best outcome.

    Second, it's so weird to me that there are so many different prep procedures. Why? How do they dertermine who gets to use a prep-powder or Miralax and Gatorade? Which, btw, I would have greatly preferred because the prep solution that I had to drink was so nasty that I did end up throwing up (which is hugely discouraged - but luckily it was just at the very end when my bowels had been pretty much emptied/cleaned out).
    I am sorry you had such a literal "gut reaction" to the prepping procedure. It's definitely not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why the prep is so different. We used different healthcare systems, but I am not sure if that should matter. I will say that Dr. BB bounced right back after his and I took a lot longer to feel okay (or maybe I'm just a bigger baby than he is - that's another variable). I would never do full-calorie Gatorade with this again!

      Delete
  20. Thanks for sharing this. My husband will have it in two weeks and it's good to know what to expect from it. Few questions: why your pre-procedure protocol was different than your husband's? did he go in with you to the procedure? how long does it take to leave the hospital after the procedure? We didn't get information about post-procedure yet so I wonder what to expect and whether I should go in with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why my pre-procedure protocol was different. We did use different health care systems - he was through the big university system and I used the rural system. You need to have someone to go with you because you need a driver to take you home. He was with me the whole time except for the actual procedure. I left the hospital within about an hour of the completion of the procedure, so they really do get you in and get you out quickly!

      I wish I had asked more questions about the prep and aftercare. I guess because my husband felt fine immediately after his colonoscopy, I thought I would, too. I honestly wish I'd taken the day after my colonoscopy off work because I felt like hot trash that whole day and it probably wasn't very productive for me.

      Delete
  21. I also wonder why the prep was so different, especially the diet recommendations. Compliance? Meaning, people don't comply, so why even ask? I don't know. I had a colonoscopy back in 2017 (I think) and mostly I felt sorry for myself about the diet, about not eating the day before, about the crap to drink, etc. But none of it was horrible, and of course the procedure itself was not a big deal. I had a little bit of gas after, but nothing like what you have gone through. I'm sorry it was so bad for you. That nauseated feeling is the WORST.

    I'm glad you mention your allergy to sulfa. Even if you only have a small reaction, sometimes people can only have small reactions to things and then suddenly have a BIG reaction, and things get ugly. My friend's mom is disabled and got literally a million dollars in a lawsuit due to an allergic reaction she had. Don't take chances.

    Also, thanks for your humor...you made this funny at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have absolutely complied, though! I'm a rule follower!! And, honestly, it sounds like if I had followed a low fiber diet, things might have worked a bit better for me. I think I'll follow a low fiber diet beforehand the next time, even if they don't tell me to.

      Yeah, my sulfa reaction would probably be worse next time, right? I always mention it, although it is rarely an issue. Fingers crossed it never is.

      Delete
  22. It's so nice of you to share all these details! I've had to help people prep while inpatient in the hospital for something else, but it's a whole other scenario when you're already in the hospital doing it and have an IV and constant access to antiemetics, etc. I guess on the negative side, those people usually ALSO had some other unpleasant things going on, so the prep sometimes could be even worse... I've never had a colonoscopy and am dreading it someday. It just sounds like a big Hassle on all accounts but I know it's so important, so will obviously do. My parents have had them and never made it sound too bad, so I guess it just depends on the individual case. Glad you got it over with!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like an emergency colonoscopy could never be good!

      Dr. BB's really was no big deal, so either I'm a whiny baby (very possible) or it does just hit people differently. I just felt really lied to about you have the procedure and then things are fine. Because things were definitely not fine for me!

      But it's important to do and it's really just a very bad 48 hours or so, so I can deal with that.

      Delete
  23. This was so helpful, Engie! Thank you for sharing! We have a history of colon cancer (my grandma) but since she's not a first-degree relative and my mom (who has been having regular colonoscopies since she was 50) hasn't had any abnormal polyps, I'm not at increased risk. (Or so they tell me!!) I will definitely get a colonoscopy when it's time, though! My mom's prep has been all over the place - for her first one, she had all of these dietary restrictions leading up to the procedure but then she just did one where her prep wasn't nearly as involved. So wild!

    What I'm learning from this post + the comments is to see if I can get a Zofran prescription beforehand and make sure to be on a low-fiber diet beforehand.

    Hope you're healing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think the Zofran and low fiber diet before is really crucial. And asking about gas relief post-procedure. I should actually put these three things on a big note in my health folder so I can definitely have a better experience in the future.

      Delete
  24. It's odd that there are so many different ways to prep. I did the low fiber diet, with a particular warning about lettuce! I drank the prep mix with lemonade Crystal Light. I had mine 5 years ago and I still can't bear to drink anything lemon flavored. I'm so sorry you had so much pain afterwards. I felt so good after mine - the knockout medication was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm the only one I've ever heard that didn't have a low fiber diet and since I was so miserable, I think that's the problem. I don't think I'll ever drink regular Gatorade again. The thought makes my stomach cramp!

      Delete