Friday, July 26, 2024

Women and Children First by Alina Grabowski

I heard about Women and Children First by Alina Grabowski on Sarah's Bookshelves podcast. Susie had it in her top five of the year so far in episode 172

The book is ten chapters long and each chapter is told from a different point-of-view of a woman. A teenager dies at a party in the crumbling town of Nashquitten, Massachusetts, and what we have here is a collection of short stories about how the lives of each of these women is connected as they try to grapple with what happened. Susie compared it to Great House and I liked the structure of Great House, even if I didn't like the execution of it, so I was excited to give it a try. 

Alas, even though I want to like this structure - I love the idea of thinking about how one event, large or small, weaves through so many lives - I have to admit that the structure doesn't actually work for me. We don't get to spend enough time with the characters to really get to know them and understand why they are making the decisions that they are making. I like it in theory, but in reality I get frustrated with the very thing I say I want to read.

So. Basically. This is my problem, not the author's. It's an interesting look at a community and how interconnected everyone is and how many secrets there are. It makes me think I should have more secrets in my small town. 

3.5/5 stars

Lines of note:

While I waited for her to respond, I watched videos of old women grooming small dogs on YouTube, which was what I did when I was sad. (page 133)

I watch so many dog grooming videos on YouTube. I felt so seen. I also watch some guy who trims cow hooves. Why is this so fascinating?

I used to think that everyone was on the same page, that we agreed being human meant taking care of one another. But now I understand that a lot of people - maybe most people - think that being human means just taking care of yourself and those you've already decided have value. (page 253)

When did you last think people were on the same page? I feel like I stopped thinking this way when I was six. 

I watch a documentary about cults until Jane arrives. I can't understand why you'd follow someone who calls you a whore and drops your phone in a swimming pool when you try to call your family, but there are a lot of things I don't understand. The appeal of sporting events, people's obsession with lobster, thermodynamics. (page 254)

Ha ha ha. I laughed at this and read it aloud to my husband. Seriously. Why are we all so excited about the Olympics? What even does "thermodynamics" mean? 

Hat mentions (why hats?):

I straighten my spine and tip an imaginary hat. (page 119)

Only now did I realize that a crowd had gathered around us, moms with stricken leathery faces and their oblivious kids in bucket hats. (page 217)

He takes off his jacket but not his hat, and then the hostess leads him to a table and he's gone. (page 305)

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of book, but I appreciate your comment about there not being enough character development! LOL about small towns and yours needing more secrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it sounded like my kind of book, too! Alas, I was wrong.

      I guess there probably are a lot of secrets here, but I don't know them! I need to know more gossip!

      Delete
  2. Okay- thermodynamics, no. Lobster, no. Olympics- YES!!!!! It's so fun! Anyway- this book sounds interesting, but I probably won't read it. Your previous post about the colonoscopy reminded me that I have to get my copy of I Capture the Castle!!! I'm looking forward to book club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Olympics are so much fun! I feel like we finally have one I can enjoy (not in Russia, not in the height of COVID). Woot woot!

      Delete