Thursday, November 16, 2023

13.16 A Year of Instruction

I just finished a yearly project. Each day of the month I posted on a pre-determined theme. During the month of November, I'll post a collage of all my photos on the daily theme from the past year. The theme for the sixteenth day of the month was "Instruction."

*********************




What Do You Prefer? - I did not get the job.
Training Mode (re)Activated - We are not good about training these days.
Where's My Adulting Manual? - I still claim we should get one of these.
Overdue: Reckoning with the Public Library by Amanda Oliver - I did not like this book.
My Reading Journey - I was a late reader. 
Teaching Philosophy - Lots of words about why I teach the way I do.
Meet Humphrey - The first sighting of Humps on the blog!
Melting Chocolate - Ha ha ha. I taught a college student how to melt chocolate without burning it. 
Retrievers on Display - Diving dogs!
Mundane Happiness - Ten things that make me happy.
How to Survive a Gnome Attack - Lawn art.
Procrastination - Hannah hates having her photo taken.

****************
Hannah count: 4
Humphrey count: 1
Other dogs count: 1
Grumpy teenager count: 1
Sign count: 2
Book count: 10
Blaze orange count: 1

****************
Poor Zelda. According to this collage, she never learns anything new.

****************
I spent Wednesday morning doing all the dumb mandatory trainings for my institution. In particular, I did the information security and sexual harassment (Title IX) trainings and boy was I ever annoyed at how useless they were. There are a few things of note.

1) System outsources these to consulting firms, so they are generic, as in not tailored to my university or even the greater system of universities my university is a part of. So, sure, I can learn about federal laws related to Title IX, but not how to, you know, report something on my own campus. It sort of makes the whole thing feel useless and vague.

2) All right, FINE. No one is going to make a training unique to my institution (I mean...why can't this be done?), so maybe the courses should be better at using specific examples that might be useful.


The above image is a screenshot of a wrap-up of a module on the dangers inherent to remote working. Nowhere in that module was "security mindset" defined and "take care when at home, in public or traveling" was repeated several times, but there were no examples given. No keep doors locked in your home so people can't steal your computer, no password protect your computer and/or documents in case someone does get into your computer, no don't use the public wi-fi at airports and coffee shops, no don't leave your computer awake during smoke breaks. NOTHING.  What a colossal waste of time.

3) My final complaint is that the Title IX was two hours long and in the end, the real lesson I learned was that if I either see an example of harassment or discrimination or a student or co-worker discloses to me, I'm pretty much guaranteed to mess up my response. I feel no more confident about actually handling one of these situations than I was when I started the training. That seems like a bad use of my two hours.

But, bonus. I scored perfectly on the quiz. 


Have you seen any bad instruction recently? 

21 comments:

  1. Title IX training is tough (also fed directives have been changing every year). But it looks like you got a perfect score! Yay!

    For people who don't sexually harass other people, it's mostly report any harassment to the Title IX department. Is there an intake form your institution uses and have they shared where to find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also re. "Procrastination - Hannah hates having her photo taken." Hannah says, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Harsh, Hannah!!

      Delete
    2. Yes! These are important topics. I wish I felt more confident about them.

      Hannah's face in those photos is priceless. She is OVER me.

      Delete
  2. That stinks the training was so poor and not clear on what to do :( I've had some real stinkers at work lately where you watch the video and they ask VERY specific questions that no one could remember... I've resorted to opening the quiz and taking it while I am watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only open the quiz once we've watched all videos. *sigh* I think I got nearly 100% on the pre-test which were the same questions used in the actual quiz and feel like I wasted a ton of time. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I never got any Title IX training. None. And I just left public education in 2011. Tell me that's not ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CRAZY! I got Title IX training as a grad student in the early 2000s!

      Delete
  4. That does sound like a bad use of two hours. We get plenty of bad, vague instruction like that at work- it's really frustrating.
    I had to go back and look at the first Humphrey post- his puppy picture is SO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humphrey is still so CUTE. That little face.

      Delete
  5. I recently had to do a bunch of annual compliance training about various topics as well. Ours is pretty good though. It seems tailored to the hospital/ created by people that work for the institution. I can tell because it will have slides that include like our specific in house emergency lines, contact people, etc. Overall I was surprisingly impressed that it was also relatively interesting and engaging, or at least as much as that sort of thing can be. They tried to include little "games" so you aren't just reading the whole time- things like clicking and sliding a word to match up with a term, or clicking on cards that then turn over to read the back, video snippets embedded, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, anything interactive is better than just sitting there watching videos or slides, isn't it? I know that my hatred of video is different than the average person, but this isn't exactly riveting, is it?

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a waste of time. How irritating. Even if a training program can't be customized for industry or company, it seems like it could offer templates for each company to fill in their own details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? What is HR doing here anyway?

      Delete
  7. That is indeed a waste of time. Specially since those topics are rather important.
    In my last freelancing role I was send and invite for mandatory trainings on work safety. Which was ridiculous since I wasn't an employer. However I had to take it as I was otherwise locked out of the system. Fine. My issue was I could not push the last button and. send of the test so I had to take that stupid test probably 5 times. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I was getting kicked out of certain videos and having to start the videos over again, but not the whole thing!! That must have been incredibly frustrating!

      Delete
  8. I've enjoyed following on your yearly project -- not daily, but often! And yes, definitely a time waster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bet all my readers are excited they won't get daily updates from me now.

      Delete
  9. I set two similar trainings myself this week... at least they were a little more tailored to my job but they took so long! 60 min each!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much time! I wouldn't truly mind if they were better trainings because they are important things. But. Egads. They were so poorly done.

      Delete
  10. Ohhh, those trainings are the bane of my existence. They always take up so much time! We have to do annual security trainings to make sure we're not falling prey to phishing/other security risks. And they do all of these phishing tests to us throughout the year, and it has us all on high alert that EVERY non-work email we get is phishing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy. The phishing tests are so stressful. I bet your company does catch a lot of real scam emails, though.

      Delete