Friday, October 27, 2023

When in Rome (When in Rome #1) by Sarah Adams

I was really excited about When in Rome because Sarah Adams wrote The Cheat Sheet, a book I really enjoyed. Let's see how this one went. 

Amelia is a famous pop star. She's getting ready for a tour, she's overwhelmed, and she gets into her car and drives to Rome, Kentucky. Why Rome? Because that's what Audrey Hepburn did in Roman Holiday. Rome, Kentucky may not be Rome, Italy, but that's okay. Amelia's car breaks down in front of Noah's house and soon she's enmeshed in the day to day lives of the people of Rome.

Interesting characters: I finished this book LAST NIGHT as I'm writing this and I had to look up Noah's name. He's grumpy, she's sunshine, but neither of them are as memorable as Bree and Nathan whose names I did not have to look up, despite having read that book eight months ago. I LOVE the grumpy/sunshine dynamic (hey, it's my life) and I liked some of the banter in this book, but these characters are snooze-worthy.

Believable conflict: Sure, she's a famous pop star about to embark on a world tour. He's a small town guy with a small business and a sick grandmother who doesn't even have wi-fi in his house or own a cell phone because he likes his solitude so much. Their lifestyles are a definite mismatch.

Emotional tension: I think not. There's never tension here. It's actually a great example of how people say "I don't want to talk about that right now" and the other person listens, so if you want healthy boundary settings, this book is for you. But because they were so respectful and talked about their feelings, there was never any tension. 

This is actually quite eye-opening for me because one of my biggest pet peeves in a romance novel is when they just don't have a conversation about something and when one conversation could solve a lot of problems. This book actually shows why they can't just have that conversation because it makes the book really boring. That's something I'm going to have ponder. How can authors build emotional tension while still having good communication? 

Happily ever after: Look, these two are together in the end, but they're not going to make it. Each of them is going to have to compromise too much on who they are and how they live. Noah is going to hate traveling. Amelia is going to get bored in Rome when she's there. I do believe they love each other, but I don't think their relationship is going to last. It made me really sad. 

Other notes: The writing in this book was so overwrought. I didn't write anything about writing at all in The Cheat Sheet, but here it's over the top and cheesy and if I'd been listening as an audiobook, I'm not sure I could have gotten through it.

...like the game I used to play as a kid, the Floor Is Lava, except this time the game is called the Woman Is Lava. I can’t touch her or I’ll burn. (location 2186)

Is there anyone who doesn't know the game the Floor is Lava? Why so much explanation? 

I’m drowning in a lush evergreen forest. (location 2968)

She's drowning in his eyes. Ugh. Gross.

It’s the kind of happy laughter that slows you down, makes you want to anchor your hands on your thighs just so you don’t fall to the ground. (location 2997)

This is the best the author could do at explaining a happy feeling? Is this a thing other people do that I don't do and don't understand? 

It's an okay book, but the doomed nature of their relationship and the kind of bad writing steer me away from recommending this too highly.

3.5/5 stars

Lines of note:

I purposely use the wrong name because it has become one of my greatest pleasures to annoy Noah. I’ve made it a game. How long does it take to make the grumpy pie shop owner’s head pop off? (location 1194)

Ha ha. I do this sometimes with my husband. I purposefully do or say something wrong until he finally looks at me with such irritation. I don't know. It's charming how quickly he realizes I'm teasing him and he breaks into a smile that I know only a handful of people on the planet have ever seen. 

He thinks he’s scaring me off with his snippy attitude. Little does he know, I’m thriving off his surliness. (location 1219)

I also like how I am one of the few people on the planet that can get my husband out of a grumpy time. It's a challenge that only I can do!

This earns me another frown from Noah. But here’s the thing, the frown is laced with a smile. I don’t know how he does it, but the man can smile and frown at the same time. (location 2333)

Is this possible? How? 

Hat mentions:

Lots in this book, what with Noah using a hat to hide from nosy gossips in town and Amelia using hats to try to hide her identity. My favorite:

What is she doing here? And why is she wearing my hat? (location 1041)

6 comments:

  1. Meh! I'll take your advice on this one and skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to steer clear of Romance. I tend to not enjoy them much. Too many better books out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing better than a good romance, though. There are a lot of bad ones, though.

      Delete
  3. LOL, spoiler from the next book - they do make it, but that isn't to say they don't get divorced down the road!

    I think your questioning of the lack of emotional tension because there is no miscommunication was what I liked so much. I don't need everyone to get alone but I hate the miscommunication trope so much that books like this really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I also hate the miscommunication trope, but in this case it made for a sorta boring book. I feel like I have some cognitive dissonance about this and need to figure out how to deal with it!

      Delete