Friday, February 10, 2023

4.10 Judgment - The Cheat Sheet by Sarah Adams

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the tenth day of the month is "Judgment." I have personally decided that I will pass judgment on a book on the tenth day of each month. 

 ****************

 

The Cheat Sheet by Sarah Adams is the story of Bree, a ballet studio owner and Nathan, her best friend and star quarterback of a Superbowl bound NFL team. They've been friends since high school and after a drunken night out, these two start fake dating so Bree can earn money to support her business. We've got all the tropes here, friends. An NFL quarterback. A woman who eats whatever she wants and always looks great. Fake dating. Friends to lovers. It's a closed door romance, so if you're looking for steam, you're not going to get it here. 

Interesting characters: I would say that this is the weakest part of the book. They're sort of stock characters, but their scenes together are very funny, their dialogue made me snort a few times, and when they're together, the book really shines. I also appreciate that Adams wrote same-sex relationships for each of the main characters with Bree's sister being a real highlights and Nathan's football friends as a fun diversion, too. There's nothing groundbreaking about these characters, but they're fun. 

Believable conflict: I mean, this all boils down to folks not talking to each other honestly, which is super annoying. BUT. I get it. I get that they rely on each other as best friends and that is at risk if you decide to start dating and you might not want to take on that risk. And I really liked that this book had so little actual conflict. It was just friends being friends and loving each other. Really sweet.

Emotional tension: I thought this was really well done. Switching from one perspective to another was useful in this book. Just when you thought one of them would be honest with the other, we'd switch perspectives and it would immediately become apparent why that honesty wasn't going to happen.

Happily ever after: So sweet. Very well done. The whole last 10% was just swoonworthy.

This has a pretty low Goodreads rating, but so does Love Lettering and we all know I gush about that book every chance I get. I thought this was a solid romance novel and really enjoyed it. Sure, the tropes are there, but the tropes are well done. 5/5 stars

10 comments:

  1. Wow, 5 stars! That's high praise from you. Romance is the one genre I'm not too interested in, but I have my own version, which is murder mysteries. I know they're not great literature but I still love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I mean, this book is excellent, but it's excellent within the context of contemporary romance novels. I love it when books are good within those constraints, though.

      Delete
  2. Wow! 5 stars! That is high praise! I will have to check this one out. I need more romance books in my life lately as so much of what I've been reading is SO HEAVY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm reading two heavy books right now and I occasionally just need lighter fare.

      Delete
  3. I think for most romance novels, one expects the tropes, am I right? They're either being worked with or against! I really enjoyed Love Lettering, so I'll have to check this out, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, another Love Lettering fan! There are dozens of us!

      Delete
  4. Love Lettering is my very favorite romance novel that I have read in the last few years. I just got Georgie All Along from Book of the Month and have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have Georgie All Along on my library hold list. I'm only 5th in line so hopefully I'll get it soon!

      Delete
  5. Ok now this wouldn't be a book high on my list. But that tiny sentence later on that you LOVE "Love Lettering" that got me hooked. Its been the thrid time now someone is raving about it and it is sitting on my amazon TBR list. And it is just 0,99€ so maybe I should snatch it up right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Lettering is so good. Meg and Reid are swoony!!!

      Delete