Friday, October 27, 2023

12.27 Priority - New Appliances, Shampoo

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write about a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-seventh day of the month is "Priority."

***************

There have been quite a few purchases we have put off while I have been unemployed. We both agree that our number one priority once I have a few paychecks under my belt is going to be replacing our washer and dryer. 

They came with the house when we bought it in 2017. I have always been grumpy about the washer because it is a front loader and it's gross. There are people out there who like front loading washing machines, but I find that those machines are impossible to clean and ours is particularly nasty. It's to the point now where we have to check every item that comes out of the washer to make sure the washer itself has not put an oily greasy black mark on it - my husband loves when this happens to his dress shirts. The dryer beeps constantly unless it's on the permanent press cycle. This is less than ideal since the permanent press cycle doesn't dry things particularly well. We have learned that the bulky setting does dry things, but it also beeps constantly, so...The other thing that has come up is the squeaking of the dryer. It makes a high-pitched squeal at the start and end of every load. As you can imagine, all of this has combined to make us dislike our washer and dryer.

So it made me laugh when we were talking about how we were going to shift budget items once I start getting a paycheck, I brought up a new washer and dryer and Dr. BB admitted he'd already looked at Consumer Reports and was considering the pros/cons of buying through Costco and getting an executive membership. At least we were on the same page!

Another priority. I'm going to invest in some blue shampoo so that my grey hair doesn't get wrecked. I've continued using a high quality shampoo while I tightened my proverbial belt with a decrease in other expenses, but I think this additional product will be a true benefit to my appearance. 

Last, but certainly not least, we need to bulk up our savings account. Ugh. It's not the healthiest it has ever been right now!

This is not related to the post at all. Just that the washer and dryer are behind that door! Look at my girls being nice. 


***************

What's a big purchase you need to make soon?

21 comments:

  1. We'd really like to build a garage...but that's a massive investment. We'll see...
    An older model top-loading washing machine came with our house and I LOVE it. It's old, but it works like a charm. Ditto the dishwasher that literally looks like something from Noah's ark. I'd wager it's at least 30 years old buts it has NEVER BROKEN DOWN yet. New things just don't seem to last well in terms of appliances.

    I talked to a repair man one time who said front loaders spin things far more efficiently so there is less water left in clothes and they dry faster. But he admitted he had a top-loading one in his own house because they rarely break down, where front-loaders are plagued with issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Older appliances really did last a long time. What is the brand of your magical washing machine?!

      (I not so secretly wish our washer would just break down catastrophically. Then we'd have no excuse but to buy a new one.)

      Delete
  2. I hope you get awesome appliances and enjoy them for a long, long time! We need to get a new roof probably, but I don't want to think about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new roof! NOOOO! That is $$$.

      Delete
  3. Our washer is top, and our dryer is side, which can be awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Aren't all dryers side?

      Delete
  4. Oooh, new washer and dryer are hugely life-improving! No big purchases upcoming, we just had 10000000 new purchases in the past year, so it's time to just enjoy them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bet you did have to buy a lot! Yay for being done with that!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the front loaders. The lakehouse has one, and it's awful. I have to clean it with a bleach cycle every year and leave the door of it open when I'm not using it. Thank goodness we rarely have to use it.

    I love my top loader, ancient Maytag at home. I've written about it several times. I talk to it lovingly and promise it my lifelong devotion.

    We have so many huge expenses coming up that I don't even want to think about them. They involve real construction, and I cannot take it. Let's just say that the basement is involved. Ugh. And the front porch. Okay, that's enough.

    Can't wait to hear about your first day at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Real construction sounds so scary. Prices on materials have gone up so much and I don't even know how you get contractors and workers these days. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. We were lured in by the shiny front loader when we bought back in 2008 (I think), I loved the idea of less water (live in drought much of the time, so this is big). But yeah, it's impossible to keep clean. I regret the purchase, but I don't want to spend money on anything else, so I just live with it. Like so much around here. Sigh.

    Our next big purchase is siding for our townhouse. UGH so much money. We also need new flooring, and our cars are 15 and 18 years old. I'm going to bury my head in the sand now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siding and roofing are things we're going to have to consider. I am not excited about that at all. You must take amazing care of your cars!!

      Delete
  7. Our next big purchase is *also* going to be a washer/dryer, because currently the spin cycle on the washer sounds literally like an airplane taking off (and actually shakes the house), and the dryer takes forever to dry. AND, the washer just started leaking, which is actually great because it pushed me off the New England Puritan 'these work perfectly fine, they're just loud and ineffective, it would be a ridiculous indulgence to contemplate getting new ones' fence and onto the 'a valid excuse!' field. I'd love to know what you end up with, as I tend to have a hard time making decisions and will probably keep these in use for far longer than I should while I research...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep everyone updated in excruciating detail about our shopping process. I cannot keep it all inside my head.

      Delete
  8. Ah, well I feel like we've had nothing BUT major purchases lately. The latest on is trying to get the new microwave hooked up, which it turns out means we need to add a dedicated circuit (what?) and well... it's just more and more money.
    I'm excited for you- a new washer and dryer will improve your lives SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I'm sure the kitchen remodel was just a cascading source of buying. Renos never go as planned.

      Delete
  9. I kind of want my oven to break because I dislike it and also it’s FILTHY. But we MUST GET carpet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also probably should get a new oven, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the washer does! Flooring is so expensive!! WHY?

      Delete
  10. You would not enjoy doing laundry in Germany. I have never seen a top loader here. Probably because most of the devices are stacked on top of each other to minimize space.

    I think I need to purchase a new laptop. Mine flickers constantly and gives me a migraine. I have an appointment at the apple store but I don't think they can do much. And there is no more warranty. I guess after 5 years working on it daily it comes as no surprise. I wanted to purchase a new Iphone though. Not sure both are possible as I alsi have to pay taxes for three maybe even for years with in the next 10 days. Sometimes the freelance life is really hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Laptop and phone at the same time?! That's so stressful. Fingers crossed you can make it all work.

      Delete
  11. I have a really old stackable washer/dryer in this apartment. For a while, one of the hoses kept breaking and I was HOPING that meant they would replace it for me, but no dice. I really despise this w/d because it is SO LOUD when it is on and the dryer makes the most annoying sound when it finishes that I can't turn off. Womp.

    I think my next big purchase is probably a big area rug for my living room, which will probably be a couple hundred dollars - nothing like a new washer/dryer, of course!

    ReplyDelete