Sunday, April 09, 2023

6.9 Location - We're At the Vet! And No One is Crying!

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a post on a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the ninth day of the month is "Location."

****************

For those of you who are new here, let me fill you in on a little bit of backstory about Hannah the Dog. We adopted her in June of 2019. She was a hot mess from the moment we brought her home. She was SUPER SWEET and QUIET and got along well with the cat, but she also had skin infection after skin infection, tapeworms, hookworms, and she tried to be well-mannered, but she just wasn't well trained.

So we figured out that she has some unspecified food allergies and put her on a prescription food. We started bathing her in a special shampoo and put her on doggy Claritin (Apoquel) and she stopped scratching and biting herself. We got her certified as a Canine Good Citizen. At about nine months in, we noticed that she had pain in her legs sometimes. She would cry when she had to lay down. And it took us a long time to get her diagnosed with a hard-to-treat spinal infection (discospondylitis) and we spent years getting her treated and back to healthy.  We're just now weaning her off the last medication for the treatment of this infection. There have been so many antibiotics, xrays, and MRIs, but we're finally seeing what Hannah is like as a healthy dog. 

The long and the short of all this is that she had a regular vet appointment for vaccinations and a general check-up on Friday and when the person booking the appointment asked me if I had any health concerns about Hannah, I was able to say no. For the first time ever. Yay Hannah!

Don't get me wrong. The list of things we had to do was pretty long: weight, vaccinations, nail trim, express anal glands, and check out two small bumps. But none of these things was stressing me out. She's lost a couple of pounds, but her weight still looks good, she took her vaccinations like a champ, nails are done, anal glands were quite full and she's bound to feel more comfortable now that they're emptiy, and the vet looked at the cells from the bumps and determined that they're benign, so we'll keep an eye on them and if they change in size or shape, then we'll be concerned.  Clean bill of health!

And since we were there on Friday, they do Facebook Friday and take photos of the patients they see. Of course, Hannah was a willing model. I bet I know who she's looking at. 


And, of course, she also is a total goofball.


Here's to the least stressful vet appointment ever!

Happy Easter, all. I'm sure there'll be an update about our excursions out of Wisconsin later this week. Complete with the requisite photos of an egg hunt!

31 comments:

  1. Best.Post.Ever. Here's to a long string of low stress vet appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Glory be to Hannah (that’s an expression familiar to me) and Happy Easter to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It was a lovely Easter present for us all.

      Delete
  3. Bless you for rescuing and caring for Hannah and seeing her through to Wellness. She is grateful, I know, and you're rewarded with a sweet and wonderful dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she knows she's got it good now, that's for sure. I adore her and I hope the feeling is mutual.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know Hannah's backstory but you've done a good thing helping her become the lovely pup she is today. May you have many more stress-free visits to the vet with you goofball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we do have all the stress-free vet trips we can handle!

      Delete
  5. Nothing to make you appreciate a regular vet visit like Hannah's history! Hooray for nothing worrying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray indeed! It felt like we'd really done something special.

      Delete
  6. Yay, Hannah! ❤️😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She appreciates the encouragement.

      Delete
  7. Aww! This is so great! Yay, Hannah! I am glad it was just a regular appointment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and I hope it continues!

      Delete
  8. That must have felt SO GOOD to answer "no" to any health concerns. Hannah looks so beautiful in her photo!
    I hope you're enjoying the Easter egg hunt, and yes- I want pictures! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look beautiful and I hope she continues to stay healthy!

      Delete
  9. Love hearing about your love and care for Hannah and her champion-style recovery 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel very fortunate that we could afford to give her all the care and time it took to get her to this point in her recovery!

      Delete
  10. Yay Hannah!!!! What a wonderful post this was to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hannah appreciates the encouragement.

      Delete
  11. This is all so wonderful. And, as always, Hannah is perhaps the most photogenic canine on the planet. Really - she's gorgeous. And those big, beautiful eyes always melt my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! She's not the most photogenic, that's for sure, but I do play up her angles when I put her in poses.

      Delete
  12. Well, either those other dogs are kind of bad at posing for photos, or Hannah is extra good at it, because her photo is clearly the best of the bunch there. (The others are still cute, of course! I like the one looking directly INTO the camera lens, haha.) But Hannah's is an exceptionally beautiful dog photo! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah is very well trained at posing, that's for sure. I think maybe someday I will show the photos that the rescue posted of her - lots of ones like the ones above with just her giant nose in the camera lens!

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad to hear that your beautiful Hannah has progressed so well. It must be a relief for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO NICE to have a healthy dog. I had no idea how much it was weighing on me!

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad you had such a positive experience at the vet and that Hannah is remaining healthy and happy! YAYS all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're both so excited that maybe the vet can be routine again!

      Delete
  15. I am so glad you can say you don't have health concerns. I remember when things were quite touch and go there for awhile and you weren't sure when things might get better. But wow, expressing anal glands does not sound comfortable! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her anal glands get so full all the time! I think when they get expressed (ewww!), it actually feels really nice for her. Ha. I'm glad to pay someone to do it, though.

      Delete
  16. Oh, this post made me so happy, Engie. So, so happy. She loves you, you adore her, she's a normal dog, and... sigh. Sometimes good things happen. Thank you for reminding me of that. And those pictures are adorable. (Also? When I had a dog - I was the one doing the anal glands. Yeah. That was 'fun'...) I still hold out hope that one day, I might actually *meet* Hannah, which would just make my day, week, month... :)

    ReplyDelete