Saturday, April 08, 2023

6.8 Art - Results

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write a blog post on a pre-determined themed chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the eighth day of the month is "Art."

****************

The results of the Wisconsin election are in and the liberal Supreme Court justice did prevail over the conservative, so that's encouraging. I'm not entirely convinced that this configuration of the Court can do anything to deal with the Republican's iron control over the state legislature, but I'm doing my best to keep my optimistic face on.

But the state also passed three ridiculous referendums, and I'm constantly confused about who is splitting their ballot these ways. I cannot worry about that right now, I guess.

Meanwhile, the local elections were a mess. An absolutely crazy person was re-elected to the school board, a brand new crazy person was elected to city council, and a sane person was elected to the city council only to resign the following day. The school funding referendum failed, mostly because the school district did a terrible job of explaining how they were going to use the money.  I honestly read the results of the local elections with my mouth wide open, wondering what kind of community I live in. I love my town, I really do, but these results were a hard pill to swallow.

Golden State, Gibson Byrd, oil on canvas, 1977

I offer up this painting that I saw when I was at the Chazen last month. It's a critique of man's relationship with nature. When I saw this, I was a bit dumbfounded that it was from 1977. I mean, think about how much more trash humans are creating in 2024 than they were fifty years ago. Just such a powerfully prescient painting. 

And I bring it to you in light of the garbage heap of election results for my town. This painting was all I could think of all Wednesday morning when my husband and I were going back and forth about whether or not we should move. (Answer: Probably. Reality: We need to stay here and put up the good fight with our "Public Schools Unite Us" sign in the yard flying a PRIDE flag.)

What's a piece of art you can't get out of your mind?

(You all. I always label my blog posts and while I have hundreds of labels, I also only regularly use a handful. I found that I have an "apocalypse" label and I swear to you that I have no idea why, but it made me laugh and laugh, so I'm using it here. I want you to understand that I know these election results aren't really apocalyptic, but I think this is very bad news for our local school district.)

16 comments:

  1. Labelling posts is probably a good idea, which is probably why I don’t do it. 🤓

    Fortunately, the search function USUALLY helps me to find an older post if I really need to, which is seldom.

    Your political situation sounds a bit crazy, but I guess staying to fight the good fight seems like the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying to fight the good fight is really the only options, so I guess it's what we'll do.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, that does sound like bad news for the schools. I can't understand why our country doesn't put more resources into our schools- your school district shouldn't be relying on a ballot referendum to get proper funding. I'm glad you're managing to keep your optimistic face on, but if you find a great place to move, where we agree with the politics and the weather is nice, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I think finding someplace I agree with the politics, like the weather, and can afford might be challenging! I'll work on it, though.

      Delete
  3. I wonder, like you do, how much more confused our school boards can be considering who gets elected to them. Same situation here. I always add tags to my posts, but some of my tags are idiosyncratic so I don't know if anyone else gets them. Doesn't matter, they make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO CRAZY because both of the school board candidates who were incumbents won reelection, despite everyone complaining about how the school board spends money. It was really a confusing result!

      Delete
  4. Sigh. At least you had the W for the Supreme Court even if nothing else came of it. Golden State is a stunning and knowing that it was painted 46 years ago instead of yesterday adds another dimension.

    Setting aside my current obsession with all things Frank Lloyd Wright, my last "moment" with art was when I went to the Art Institute of Chicago and saw American Gothic and Nighthawks in person. I've seen the images a billion times but having them inches away was a special experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that moment when you first see a painting IRL that you've seen reproductions of all your life is such an amazing feeling.

      Delete
  5. Bless Wisconsin for its Supreme Court victory. The message it sent is powerful. I know how disappointing and frustrating it is to see other results like that and to have Blue Dot Syndrome. I live it, too. But it's important to do what you're doing, to keep up a visible presence/fight.

    I am often moved by art. One of my favourite artists is Vermeer, and when I went to the National Gallery years ago I saw a few of his paintings up close. One of the guards came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder, asking, "Ma'am, are you all right?" I realized I was in tears and very quietly crying. I turned around and said, "I can see the actual brush strokes." He was very kind and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine the kind of things security guards see at museums. I am glad he was understanding. It's such a powerful experience to be so close to great art.

      Delete
  6. That piece of art reminded me of when Parkland survivors spelled Thoughts and Prayers with body bags on Capital Hill. I can't stop thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I bet it's the same. It's like every thought circles back to that piece of art. Very powerful. And sad.

      Delete
  7. Glad at least there was good news at the supreme court level. But a lot of the other results seem really discouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough to live in a red county. Oh, well. Hopefully the results won't be as dire as I'm predicting.

      Delete
  8. So, so happy about the supreme court. I cannot explain what happened in your town. Wow. I also wonder about the split-ticketers. I'd say move up here but... also can see your argument for staying. It's not easy, though - I definitely prefer to live where I am in the strong majority. Red states are... not for me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. We could not afford to buy in Madison. At least, not a house nearly as nice as we currently have. I do wonder if it would be worth it to buy something smaller in an area with more like-minded folks. Oh, well. We're not moving and I just have to deal with it!

      Delete