Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Hannah Went to the Vet! Honest Talk about Money! And Mental Health!

Hannah went to see her regular vet last month, as well as her neurologist. At her general checkup, she got a big thumbs up. At her neurology appointment, she had x-rays done and received a "little to no change/maybe slight improvement" and both the neurologist and I took it as a moral victory that there are no new locations of infection.  

But because she's been having such a hard time eating, her current medicine regimen is not sustainable.  Dr. BB and I have been getting testy with one another about who has to feed the dog, Hannah's started to tuck tail when she hears her kibble coming out, and it's so very unpleasant for everyone.  So we're doing a few "break weeks" for her where she won't have one of the medications at a time and we'll see if we can pinpoint the cause of her appetite suppression. And after that, we're going to add another antibiotic to the mix, which gives me great anxiety, but there you have it.  Part of the anxiety is just that she's going to have yet another thing to mess with her GI tract, but another part is that this new medication is expensive. 

If you're wondering, yes, I think I'm going to have to take on a part-time job because I honestly am at the limits of what my monthly income can do. We've tried to have Hannah insured so pet insurance will cover some of these costs, but every company I've contacted has basically laughed at me. I had to put her last appointment on my credit card and even though I will be able to pay it next month, I do not like that this has become a thing that I can't stop thinking about.

Here's the breakdown.

Daily costs:

Baytril: $3.62/day - An antibiotic she takes every day for her discospondylitis. 

Fluconasole: $1.09/day - An antifungal she takes every day for a her discospondylitis. 

Clavomox: $5.87/day - An antibiotic she takes every day for her discospondylitis. (This is the new one. I am paying a bit extra to get the vet form instead of the human form, but the difference is pretty small.)

Zyrtec:  $0.15/day - An OTC allergy pill she takes year round.

Probiotic: $0.50/day - She's always been on this because of her sensitive stomach, but now it's even more important because of the huge doses of antibiotics she's getting.

Apoquel: $1.43/day - An allergy pill we use when the temperatures are above freezing.

Interceptor Plus: $0.27/day - Worm prevention, including heartworm, hookworm, and tapeworm. Since Hannah has had both hookworms and tapeworms, we're pretty vigilant about this medication every month.

Seresto collar: $0.23/day - Flea and tick prevention. Essential since I regularly take her into the woods.

Waste bags: $.10/day - Honestly, this is an estimate, assuming 1.5/bags a day.

Kibble: $2.46/day - She's on a prescription diet and every time we've tried to switch her to a cheaper kibble, she's gotten sick, so we're stuck here.

Treats: $1.00/day - She requires lots of treats every day to get those medications in her, so this is a combination of chicken, egg, and sweet potato. 


Total: $16.72/day (this is over $500 a month if you really want to make yourself feel sick to your stomach)


Irregular costs:

Pet license: $20/year - I have Hannah out on our town sidewalks for at least an hour every day, so she has to be licensed.

Grooming: $10/bath (during cold months - during the summer we can hose her off in the backyard)

Shampoo: $30/bottle (I have no idea how long a bottle lasts, so I can't estimate more than maybe 2-3 bottles a year)

Vet trips/vaccinations: Ha ha ha. Who knows?  I would estimate this to be about $1000 a year if nothing goes seriously wrong. For Hannah this year, I'm estimating $4000 (because of multiple trips for x-rays and trips to the neurologist - it might be a smidge high, but probably not by much).

Edited to add: Her pain medication is about $70 for twenty doses and we'll probably refill it a couple of times this year.

So I'm estimating Hannah's cost for existence to be just over $10,000 this year. If you are on the fence about getting a dog, let this be a warning. (Sorry to all of you who are trying to convince your partner that getting a dog would be a good idea.)

Honestly, getting a dog was a bad idea.  I have regrets*.  

It's not just the financial side of things. Keeping track of all of her medications is A LOT. Guess who has to remember to order the antibiotics and antifungal and make sure there's enough kibble and oh, crap we're out of waste bags and did I order the refill in time to drive to Costco to pick it up during their limited pharmacy hours and who's making sure the dates to give Hannah her monthly medication and change her Seresto collar are on the calendar?  It's me. The emotional labor of caring for this dog is TOO MUCH.  I'm not really a detail-oriented person and having to keep track of all this takes up a lot of my mental energy.

And that's not even the worst of it because I think to myself every day: Is this good for Hannah? Should we just take her off all these medications and let whatever happens happen? Does she think she's in trouble? Why are we doing this to her? Does she hate me for making her eat all this? Is she in pain? Does she know we're doing this because we love her? Will I ever be able to leave my house again? Will my marriage survive this dog?

Contrast with Zelda. Every day I brush her, clean her face. I buy food for her once every 40 days or so, litter a few times a year, and she has a yearly vet appointment. Three times a week she gets a joint supplement. That's it. Easy peasy.

I love my dog.  But cats are so much less work.  

*Not getting Hannah, of course. I adore her and she brings so much to my life. But I wish I'd just gotten pet insurance ASAP and I wish the rescue had given us more information about her. I wish we'd gotten her MRI earlier than we did so we could have been treating this earlier. I wish, I wish, I wish, I wish, but hindsight is no good and so here we are.  

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you, Hannah, and your husband as you navigate this. It sounds stressful both logistically and financially. I've had the same experience with kids; you love them deeply, but also have to admit how hard it can all be (logistically and financially).
    I truly hope you see improvements in Hannah's health in the coming days.
    Again, as trite as it might sound, I'm also just so thankful Hannah found a home with you. The level of care and love you give her sounds extraordinary and even as someone who doesn't own any pets (kids don't count, right?!)...it breaks my heart to think what her life might be like with someone else who didn't sacrifice and love and nurture that gorgeous dog.
    And look at those eyes in the top picture <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is such a tough situation. That is a HUGE financial drain, in addition to the toll it's taking on other areas of your life. Is there still hope that Hannah might be cured and recover from all this? Either way.... it's temporary. We unfortunately outlive our pets, so remember that this is just a phase of your life. I'm reading back on this sentence: "I adore her and she brings so much to my life." It may not be the situation you envisioned when you decided to get a dog, but your relationship with Hannah is unique and special, so maybe you can just embrace it for what it is.
      I know what you're thinking- "Oh, SURE! Easy for her to say with her two cats and cage full of simple guinea pigs." I'm definitely appreciating how easy I have it, pet-wise. And if there was any question, you've convinced me to NOT get a dog, ha ha. Hang in there.

      Delete
    2. Well, technically this is a curable issue, so that's why we keep going with the treatment. It's just trying to find the right combination of pharmaceuticals that will clear up the infection. It IS temporary and I tell myself all the time that we're doing this so that she'll have a good quality of life for the remainder of her life!!

      I'm not trying to scare anyone off from getting a dog - I think they are joyous additions to families - I just think people sometimes lowball the costs of dog ownership and I'm here to give you a worst case scenario!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this, and I admire you for writing about it. I remember once someone asked us how much it costs to have a dog, and we explained that it wasn't that simple. On the surface, yes dog food and treats cost $x per month, the time commitment of walks and playtime, Jenny's excellent and very sad point that we outlive our pets, blah blah blah BUT just like with people there is always the possibility that something will go wrong and there's no support system when it happens. I don't have a solution but I'm sending internet hugs to you (( ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is a difficult situation in so many ways! Of course you love Hannah, but it's hard not to wince at that much money. Tough decisions all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn’t afford the cost. Thanks goodness our cat is 11 and doing well. As I have probably written before, I don’t think she could handle any sort of hands-on intervention, and we would have to let her go. But not now. Now we’re good. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, this is so hard! Poor Hannah! It especially broke my heart to hear about her tucking her tail between her legs when she hears you bringing out her food. :...( It sounds like you have the best team possible and hopefully they will figure this out but in the meantime, it really really sucks, and the costs can seem endless... We have a healthy cat and like Anvilcloud said above, if she needed any sort of hands-on intervention, we would be screwed because she doesn't even let us brush her!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am consistently amazed at how much care and love you give to Hannah. She is not an easy dog, but it feels like she found the best family to take care of her. <3 I am sorry she is so expensive - dogs are typically more expensive than cats but this is excessive. I wish you could get on some sort of pet insurance (I had Dutch on Banfield's "insurance" plan, which was about $80/mo but covered things like extra blood work, x-rays, dental cleanings, etc.) because I know it would take some of the financial burden off you, but that's not going to happen with all of her conditions. <3 You have all of my love and support. Please continue writing about this and her, because we're all here for you in whatever way we can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uff. This is really hard stuff. I understand that you love Hannah and that you want the best for her and that you're trying to help her in any way you can, but yeah, what a financial and mental drain it is to care for someone with special needs. Kudos to your for giving her such a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard -- and expensive, isn't it? I get it completely. After Stimpy's issues years ago ( and Gypsy's, though he was less expensive) I started setting up a savings account for Lizzie and try to put $100 a month in it. (Some months, we don't make that!). But I pay for her meds, vet bills (which so far aren't too bad), food and such from it. I suspect by the time she is older and requiring more expensive care there will be enough in there to cover a lot of it. I hope so. They're such special friends and require not only all our love but all the care we can provide until it is kinder to them to say goodbye. And that's grim so I hope Hannah has more good times left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so hard and heartbreaking. I am so sorry for Hannah and so sorry for you and your husband. The mental, emotional, and financial toll sounds enormous. You have probably already thought of this, but have you looked into any organizations that help fund pet medical expenses? I know NOTHING about them, and from a cursory look it seems like most cover pending expenses only (not those already incurred), but I wonder if any of them could help ease the financial burden. Of course, looking into them and applying for them is its own burden. I have experience with grant writing and would be happy to help if that's something you end up looking into. So very sorry you are enduring this heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how heartbreaking. I cannot even imagine the toll it's taking on you, your stress level, your marriage, and your life. Yes, you love her but the burden is just so much. :( I admit that my mind went immediately where LoaDW's mind went - are there grants or organizations that DO focus on incurred costs? Or, could you look into those that cover future costs but don't require (like insurance) that the pet be in good physical health? (Which, seriously, people. This is so annoying. I know it's how they make the big bucks but DUDE - it's not like you could have predicted this when you adopted her...) I wish I could help. <3

    ReplyDelete