Thursday, April 14, 2022

Hannah the Dog: Health Update Update

Let's return to the regularly scheduled Hannah the Dog health update, an ongoing feature on this here weblog in which I wail and gnash my teeth because my poor dog can never catch a break.

Hannah and I went to her general veterinarian yesterday for her annual exam - get her a good looking over, get her vaccinated, and do *shudder* parasite checks.

1) "This is the healthiest sick dog I've ever seen." Yes, my friends, Hannah looks good. Her coat is good, her weight is good, her teeth are okay, and she was so very sweet to all the techs.  If you didn't look at her file or the giant gallon size bag of medicines I brought along with me, you might be fooled into thinking she's just fine.

2) My regular vet, let's call her Dr. Lauren because that's her name, was on the phone with the fancy neurologist earlier this week talking about Hannah's case. It turns out that the neurologist had sent Hannah's file off to the fancy vet school in our state and everyone agreed that the current course of treatment is good. (Just as a reminder: Hannah has an infection in her spine and it's challenging to biopsy to culture it to figure out what exactly it is, so she's on massive doses of both antibiotics and antifungals.)

Meanwhile, we sent some blood samples off to the lab to check her liver because some dogs struggle with the antifungal. After we get back those lab results (also a regular parasite and heartworm check), I'll have to call the neurologist to schedule some new x-rays for Hannah so we can see if there's been any movement on the infection and discuss if we maintain the current medicines or make any changes.

3) At one point, they took Hannah out of the exam room to give her vaccinations and apparently she was quite cooperative, but never took her eyes off the door that she knew I was behind. She was praised mightily for how smart she was. I sort of think it really says something about how co-dependent we are, but no one brought that up.

And that's that. Last night, a local veterinarian who has won some Moth competitions, was speaking at our local community center's lecture series. I dragged myself out to see him in the pouring rain, mostly out of obligation because I'm on the board of directors for this community center, and the first story he told was about a dog dying. I nearly walked out. 

The worst part about having pets is the overwhelming responsibility for the quality of their lives. I listened to this vet talk about his patients (the non-humans) and clients (the humans) and I know that every dog, cat, cow, and gerbil he sees are just patients to him, but to their people, they are so much more. I'm grateful that Hannah's vets worry about her, consult about her, and I know they're doing the best they can and that we're doing the best we can, but I couldn't help but wonder as I left that talk if someday Hannah was just going to be another anecdote in some veterinarian's stories someday.  

15 comments:

  1. Poor pooch, but she seems to be getting exceptional care. If our cat develops health issues she might be out of luck since she doesn’t like to be handled. I can’t imagine trying to force-feed her pills. My attitude is to give her as good a life as possible for as long as realistically possible. She’s 11 and seemingly in good health but with some arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Our kitty is okay about being handled, but getting pills into a cat is so much more challenging than with dogs. It's not as easy as hiding it in some boiled chicken.

      Delete
  2. What a good dog! Hannah sounds so sweet, and she IS smart! She's so lucky to have you- she obviously needs a lot of care and you're doing an amazing job.
    So. As you know i'm a massage therapist so I'm not dealing with really sick people. But I see people who are in a lot of pain, who are upset, depressed and frustrated. A lot of the people I see really have terrible situations. When I'm with them I'm 100% focused on trying to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it, but when they leave I generally don't think about them until the next time I see them. Sometimes I'll consult with a colleague or look something up, but usually they're out of my mind. It's just the way it has to be so I can focus on the next person, and if I carried everyone's issues around with me all the time I would go insane. I imagine it's similar with an MD or a vet. I'm sure they're trying their very best, but in the end no one cares about her like you do. Sad but true! It does sound like your vet is going above and beyond so it sounds like she's getting the best care possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She IS getting the best care and I appreciate all that her medical professionals are doing for her. I just wish she were less prone to having medical professionals who know all about her case!

      Delete
  3. Oh Hannah. I'm so glad she's doing as well as she can be. You are doing right by her. You are giving her love and support and medical intervention. You are giving her a good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she thinks it's a good life. She's definitely made ours better!

      Delete
  4. It's so hard. SO hard. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that Hannah is getting such great care and that your vet is so wonderful. Similar to your first commenter, I do not know what we would do if our cat got really sick because she is NOT easy to administer things to... she does not cooperate at the vet at all. And really the only person that can pick her up is my husband. So hopefully she stays healthy and doesn't need any sort of medical intervention because oof that would be impossible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think vets are pretty used to working with animals that don't necessarily like to be handled. But getting her to the vet might be a challenge!

      Delete
  6. Yay for Hannah! I don't think I would have made it through the vet's story. There's a website called "does the dog die.com" that you can use to prescreen movies and maybe they need to add an option for lectures. Or at least have a content warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the ends of books plenty of times to make sure a dog doesn't die. Dog death is no joke.

      Delete
  7. Awww, Hannah. She seems to be doing as well as she can be, considering her condition. And how amazing that she has parents who are so concerned and willing to shell out soooo much money to make sure she's comfortable and happy. She's in the best family she can be. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope she's happy and comfortable. If nothing else, she's very well loved.

      Delete
  8. Hannah, trust me, knows that she is loved. Think of how much you have changed her life. You're an amazing example of how good people can improve the lives of animals. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry Hannah - and you - have to go through all of this, but it tells me that you really love her so much. <3

    ReplyDelete