Tuesday, December 27, 2022

2.27 Priority - Five Star Reads

Bestest Friend and I are doing a blog project. Each day we will write about a pre-determined theme chosen by a random noun generator. The theme for the twenty-seventh day of the month is "Priority."

****************

This is the first year I've kept track of my star ratings, so here are my five-star reads for 2022. I'll do another post a little later that details how many books I read, average stars, and the like, but let's start with the books I loved this year.

A Queen in Hiding and The Queen of Raiders (The Nine Realms #1 and #2) by Sarah Kozloff - I listened to these audiobooks and was really caught in the worldbuilding. It's a (slightly) more feminist A Song of Ice and Fire if that sort of thing interests you.

The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary - A five-star romance novel doesn't happen every day in my life, but this one had such lovely characters and I love how they fell in love without seeing each other and I just adored it. 

Deliliah Green Doesn't Care by Ahley Herring Blake - Another smart, delightful romance novel. I have the next one in the series on hold at the library and I hope it lives up to expectations.

Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts by Rebecca Hall, illustrated by Hugo Martinez - An interesting graphic novel about Hall's search for more information about slave revolts, part research memoir and part history. So fascinating.

Woodrow on the Bench: Life Lessons from a Wise Old Dog by Jenna Blum - If you're a caretaker for an elderly or chronically ill pet, this book should be a must read for you. I found it hopeful as we were in the midst of Hannah's worst moments. Funnily enough, after I read this, I saw it featured on a display at Hannah's neurologist's office. I think we're through the worst of Hannah's illness (FINGERS ALL CROSSED), but this book was so helpful and affirming.

The Final Revival of Opal and Nev by Dawnie Watson - A fictionalized oral history of an interracial rock group. I cannot sing this book's praises high enough.

American Hippo by Sarah Gailey - An alternate United States in which hippos are pets. Nothing will ever be more appealing to me than a story about a person's love for their pet.

Voice from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich - So hard to read, but very powerful to hear voices from all kinds of people whose lives were disrupted or destroyed by the catastrophe of the failed nuclear power plant in Chernobyl. 

Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley - I never would have read this if I had not done the Pop Sugar reading challenge and I would have been the worse for it. Such a truly astonishing debut novel.

The Green Bone saga by Fonda Lee - I gave all three books in this series, Jade City, Jade War, and Jade Legacy five stars. This combination of The Godfather meets Bruce Lee is truly everything I didn't know I wanted to read.

Dawn and Adulthood Rites (Xenogenesis #1 and #2) by Octavia E. Butler - So many great themes in these books. Such great writing about important topics in a non-preachy way. Butler is the queen of science fiction for a reason.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers #1 and #2) by Becky Chambers - Rereads of books I just adore and will probably reread again in 2023. Such smart, heartwarming science fiction.

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune - Another audiobook read for me. Just a truly heartwarming fantasy story about the importance of found family.

The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and  Penric's Progress (World of Five Gods) by Lois McMaster Bujold - I remain mystified by the number and reading order of the World of Five Gods, but these books are so great. I loved being in this world and enjoyed the complex characters and the snarky writing.

Leviathan Falls (The Expanse #9) by James S.A. Corey - A fitting end to one of the best sci-fi series ever written. This writing duo really landed the plane and I could not have been more thrilled.

A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher - A gem of feminist fantasy! A true gem! If you have a teen girl who loves fantasy, give her this!

Heating & Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs by Beth Ann Fennelly - I don't think it's fair that some people can write like this, but I'm so glad that I get to reap the rewards of such brilliant, succinct, funny writing.

Twenty-four five star reads in 2022. Not too shabby! (Obviously I'll update this if I read another five star book between now and the end of the year.)

****************
Another twenty-one books got 4.5 stars:
How to be a Victorian by Ruth Goodman
Hench by Natalie Zina Walschots
Every Heart A Doorway and Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #1 and #2) by Seanan McGuire
The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers
The Library Book by Susan Orlean
Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
The Prettiest Star by Carter Sickles
The Black Gryphon (Mage Wars #1) by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon
A Deadly Education (The Scholomance #1) by Naomi Novik
The 57 Bus by Dashka Slater
The Ink Black Heart (Cormoran Strike #6) by Robert Galbraith
The Royal We (Royal We #1) by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan
The Evening and the Morning (Kingsbridge #0) by Ken Follett
My Name is Lucy Barton (Amgash #1) by Elizabeth Strout


****************

To see what Bestest Friend has to say about priorities, go visit her at Too Legit to Quit.

10 comments:

  1. Hmm! I've read one of your 5 stars and several of your 4.5 (I think mostly because I read your reviews and then got the books.) I know you went through a reading slump in November but overall it seems like a great year- 24 5 star reads and 21 4.5 stars, that's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it averages out to two five-star books a month, which does seem like a good number, right?!

      Delete
  2. LOVED Cerulean Sea, and I have Firekeeper’s Daughter on my shelf. Our library gave away free copies because the author is local, which is so cool. I have also been meaning to read Delilah Green and will get it with my Audible credit this month after such a glowing review— thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you love them as much as I do. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them.

      Delete
  3. There are a lot of books on this list that I haven't read. I for sure want to read The Firekeeper's Daughter so need to add that to my hold's list. I've read 22 5-star books this year. Last year I read 19, but I read more books in 2021, so my % of 5-star reads is higher. Overall I've had a really amazing year of reading. I'll be posting my best books of 2022 tomorrow and it was HARD to decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Firekeeper's Daughter was such a surprise to me! I couldn't believe how much I loved it. I hope you do read it soon - can't wait to hear what you think about it.

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a good year of books -- so many five stars and 4.5 stars as well! I still haven't read The Firekeeper's Daughter. I keep meaning to, and then picking up the book and putting it down because it doesn't sound like I would like it. But it also seems to be such a favorite for so many people, and I WANT to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it's not for you, it's not for you! You don't HAVE to read it!

      Delete
  5. So many 5-star reads - that's great! We may have wildly different reading tastes, but all of the books you gave 4.5 or 5 stars that I also read are books I also really loved, so we have that in common at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookmarking this post for a time when I am free to pick up other books again (still working on the Outlander series LOL).

    ReplyDelete